Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Has Line 6 forgotten Variax Users with the Stomp XL?

cziebold

The Stomp XL is obviously the next evolution of the Helix series. However what about us Variax users? What---no Variax input on the XL?!! The 'hit' on the regular stomp on Variax was that it was too small and not powerful enough for a Variax input. I would have thought the XL would have taken care of that. Beginning to think that Line 6 is forgetting about integrating Variax into future products. Not good, its a great versatile axe that should be part of the Helix evolution.

• Upvote 1

Over on TGP there's a thread in the Digital and Modeling forum about the XL. In it, DI explained that the only reason that the XL exists is to satisfy the common complaint of "not enough footswitches", and that it wouldn't have happened at all if it hadn't been a cheap fix to that specific problem. It was not intended as a "New and Improved" Stomp except for more footswitches.

FEAR NOT! They still love you!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rd2rk said:

DI explained that the only reason that the XL exists is to satisfy the common complaint of "not enough footswitches", and that it wouldn't have happened at all if it hadn't been a cheap fix to that specific problem.

I think there is more to the story than this... and I believe the HX Effects has been targeted for EOL. 

I expect L6 would deny that... but time will tell if my theory is correct... 

20 hours ago, cziebold said:

... However what about us Variax users? What---no Variax input on the XL?!! The 'hit' on the regular stomp on Variax was that it was too small and not powerful enough for a Variax input. ...

Agree, including a Variax and maybe even an L6 Link port would have been a great use of the extra back panel real estate and possibly allowed some people to see this as an admittedly different but much less expensive and similarly compact alternative to the Quad Cortex that allowed them to leverage their PowerCab or Variax. Have to say though, this is a very cool addition to the HX line.

49 minutes ago, codamedia said:

I think there is more to the story than this... and I believe the HX Effects has been targeted for EOL. 

I expect L6 would deny that... but time will tell if my theory is correct... 

Well, someday you will be proven right. Not only the HX FX will someday be targeted for EOL. All other Helix products will be too. Shocking!

.... or did you have a timeframe in mind when we can check up on your theory?

1 hour ago, PierM said:

For us non-native, wha the hell is EOL?

54 minutes ago, scotterp said:

End Of Life. :)

Or alternately a nocturnal predatory bird with a "facial disk" known for a call that sounds like "Who" (or reportedly "Dr. Who" or even Roger Daltrey if you live in Britain)  :-)

2 hours ago, silverhead said:

Well, someday you will be proven right. Not only the HX FX will someday be targeted for EOL. All other Helix products will be too. Shocking!

.... or did you have a timeframe in mind when we can check up on your theory?

Substantially sooner than the rest of the line...

I wish I hadn't said anything, it was just a thought I've had since I first saw the release notes from DI a month or two ago. 

• 2 weeks later...

What do you expect from a company that still markets the Firehawk FX as a new product even though it hasn't had an update in four years. I figured they lacked room on the last two stripped down HXs. There was room for the Variax input on this one. I'll wait for a break on the Helix LT.