Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I NEED HELP - IN BETWEEN UNITS

hallissyc

Hello all, 

So I am a 35 year old dad for starters. I live in suburbia. I play guitar (sometimes) when my wife is watching TV or when I am supposed to be listening to my Masters Degree professor talk. 

I had a Blues Junior for a while but it was just too loud, and I absolutely despised the pedal market and what it did to me (I was absolutely addicted to pedals and gear). So I sold the Blues Junior and bought a used Helix Floor and Powercab 112+. It was nice. Too nice. Too much capability for me. I also didn't like the footprint. Entirely too large for my space. So I sold it (recently) and bought a Boss Katana 100W 112. It's nice, but I feel like I took a HUGE step back in audio quality vs the Helix. In fact, I know I did. I was trying to be fiscally responsible. The Katana is about as responsible and sensible as you can get. But...it doesn't sound as good. It just doesn't. So now I am thinking, maybe I return the Katana and pick up an HX Stomp. I think it's absolutely perfect for me. Small footprint. Headphone capability, etc. 

Help me. Talk sense in me. What do you think? I am a strictly bedroom player, FYI, so playing out is not a huge deal for me. Also, I have a $300 credit at Sweetwater, so I can essentially get the Stomp for $300 of my own money. Or, I can keep the Katana for free. What do you all think?

The HX Stomp is awesome! Also know that Line 6 just released the HX Stomp XL, which is slightly larger and has a few more touch capacitive footswitches. The DSP engine is identical. The HX Stomp XL should be a consideration, regardless of what you will be using to listen to the audio signal. What will you be using to listen to the output?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MusicLaw said:

The HX Stomp is awesome! Also know that Line 6 just released the HX Stomp XL, which is slightly larger and has a few more touch capacitive footswitches. The DSP engine is identical. The HX Stomp XL should be a consideration, regardless of what you will be using to listen to the audio signal. What will you be using to listen to the output?

I plan on using headphone for the time being. The entire time I had my Floor and Powercab, I used my Powercab probably 10 times and everything else was just through headphones.

Should you find that you miss the dedicated headphone level control from the Helix Floor, there are a variety of in line level controls which can be used to attenuate the volume level in your headphones.

• Like 1

If it were me I would probably return the Katana. Hard to beat the small footprint and amazing capability of the HX Stomp and a pair of headphones for living room playing. You could always pick up a Headrush FRFR-108 later if you miss having a cab. Those things are also really small, inexpensive, and create a fairly big sound.

If it were not for the fact that you were not happy with your Katana I would also say you might enjoy the Positive Grid Spark amp. However, if you are not satisfied with the Katana's sound I doubt the Spark will cut it for you. It is a very capable practice amp though, sounds good, lots of features to explore, and small.

20 minutes ago, jester700 said:

You might also consider the Pod Go. Not as powerful or flexible as the Stomp, but has the same amp modeling with a couple of exceptions. And cheaper.

I agree with the Pod Go suggestion. Download the manuals and check them both out. The Pod Go has an expression pedal and many more footswitches for $120 less than a HX Stomp. and I don't think the flexibility you'd lose by getting a Pod Go would be worth it in your situation. You can get an HX Stomp with more footswitches (HX Stomp XL) but it still has no expression pedal and now we're talking $270 more. The Pod Go will be easier to program as well. It will sound great as well. It has most of the Helix models in it. For your purposes I say Pod Go is the way to go!! (Get it?......Pod Go  is the way to......Go.....Sorry)