Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD Go with Real Amplifier - Should I use "Amp" or "Preamp" in my patches?

pentjaksilat8

Hello, I new here and a new owner of the POD Go. 

So as the title says, I'm trying to figure out the best setup for my patches. I'm coming from a very old Korg AX-1000G from high school days. It was super simple to use so I'm learning as fast as I can on the POD Go since I've been out of the game for a while. I've downloaded some settings from Marketplace and CustomTone to see how others set things up.

Here's my setup: 

ESP Ltd EC-256 --> POD Go input --> Amp Out (pre cab/IR turned off in global settings) --> FX Loop Return (Randall RG200 G2 series, solid state [manual attached])

One of my main questions is should I use the Amp models or should I use the Preamp models? So far the preamps are all over the place as far as output and it seems like I can't really get them all on the same page as far as volume goes. I know it makes more sense in theory to only use the Preamps since I'm using my real amp for the power output but I feel like the overall sound and volume is more consistent with the Amp models. I've moved my cabs to the end of the chain in case I ever want to record through my PC, I won't have to go back and turn the cabs back on adn I still get any effects to work through the Amp Out that would normally be after the Cab.

Also, I have level knobs for my FX loop send and return on my Randall amp and I can't really find any definitive info on how I should set the Return level for my setup. I'm getting some breakup on some patches when there shouldn't be, but it could just be me not understanding the POD GO well enough yet too.

RG75G2_RG200G2_RH100G2_RH200G2_Manual.pdf

You’re right that, in theory, you ‘should’ be using the POD Go preamps because you are connecting to you physical amp’s FX Return. But there’s no right or wrong. Go with whatever sounds best to you. If the POD Go preamps sound better than using the full amps then spend some time figuring out how to balance the volume levels among them. If they don’t sound better then don’t waste your time.

41 minutes ago, silverhead said:

You’re right that, in theory, you ‘should’ be using the POD Go preamps because you are connecting to you physical amp’s FX Return. But there’s no right or wrong. Go with whatever sounds best to you. If the POD Go preamps sound better than using the full amps then spend some time figuring out how to balance the volume levels among them. If they don’t sound better then don’t waste your time.

OK got it and thank you!

Any knowledge on the FX loop level on my particular amp? I can't find anything other than the very brief manual I attached to the post. 

• 3 years later...

From what I've read, many 3rd party impulse responses have a power amp section "baked into" the IR capture itself, and may or may not be able to be turned off- which is why L6 featured the pre-amp portion alone as an option on the Pod Go for people who dont want or need to use the IR's power amp in addition to their physical amp. The amp models also feature more paramaters that can effect amp feel and response. Your mileage may vary. I use the PGs Panama amp model (not preamp), no IR's, into the front of a relatively clean Quilter Tone Block 202 and out of a pair of 2x12 cabs. I was quite surprised at how organic and warm the sound was. The snapshots also make live usage a breeze; I'm very pleased with it so far. 

I use the Pod Go into a Fender 40-watt tube amp, and I break all the rules. I use the Line Out to get a "cleaner' sound instead of one tailored for amp users.

I only use amp presets occasionally for distortion, typically a Bogner for a bluesy overdrive. I'm not a heavy metal guy, but I use other amp presets occasionally.

As for volume, I spend hours at home trying to dial in a volume consistent with my other patches, then hours more after playing with the band redoing them. (Learn about the Fletcher-Munson curve)

The only rule is to do what sounds good to your ears.

(BTW, I loved my Korg AX-1000G. It was complicated to program but gave a great sound for its day.)

• Like 1