Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX stomp as AB switch (two guitars to one amp)?

milet22

I’ve looked at the forum and seen people using the stomp as AB switch but I couldn’t  my exact setup. 

It’s pretty simple actually. Can I use the Hx stomp to replace my AB switch? I have two guitars with an AB switch to my single effects unit. Only one guitar plays at a time. I would want to be able to plug guitar A in the left input of the stomp and guitar b into  the right input. Like  an AB switch, the non playing other guitar would be muted but then I could load a patch, switch guitars and so on. 

Is this fairly straightforward?

I think it’s not quite so simple. The main L and R inputs are active simultaneously. In other words you can’t connect the two guitars to both of these inputs and then select just one input to be active in any given preset (at least that’s what the manual says). However, you could connect one guitar to the Main L/Mono input and the other to the Return L/Mono input and then select the Main input in one preset and the Return input in another preset. I believe that will achieve the desired result.

Note that you won’t be able to use the Stomp’s stereoFX Loop in any preset where you’re using the guitar in the Return input. The manual is a little ambiguous about this; you may be able to use a mono FX Loop. Some experimentation with the actual HX Stomp device (which I don’t have) will let you know the possibilities.

• Upvote 2

Thanks everyone! I suspected it was that both were active at once. It seems like turning down the instrument volume is the easiest way to go on the fly, or I could configure input blocks (but I’m guessing that needs to be done ahead of time?). 

Last followup: I’m assuming that using L and R input, I would be able to combine both to a single mono (one amp) output, right?

49 minutes ago, zappazapper said:

Could you use some combination of a "Split Y" block (might need to create a dummy block to access path B) and another dummy block that sums the stereo signal to mono?

I’m not sure since I actually don’t have a stomp yet. I’m trying to evaluate if it will work for my use case

5 hours ago, zappazapper said:

Could you use some combination of a "Split Y" block (might need to create a dummy block to access path B) and another dummy block that sums the stereo signal to mono?

It would still need to be done on every preset, and be a waste of a block and a split.

I'm having a similar problem. I normally play through a wireless transmitter/receiver which is plugged to my Stomp's L/Mono, but I still occasionally use a regular cable, e.g. when the transmitter is low on battery. The Stomp is integrated into a pedalboard, so there's always a cable plugged to the Stomp's Right input that is routed to a patch panel. Everything works more or less well except that amp blocks (just like other mono blocks in general) mix both input channels and that results in some gain loss because there's silence on the unused channel. It doesn't seem to be possible to solve this via the splitter and mixer blocks. Physically unplugging the Right input helps, of course.

It would be awesome if there was a way to configure the input block to use either the L/Mono or Right input, either globally or at a preset level.

1 hour ago, teodorych said:

I'm having a similar problem. I normally play through a wireless transmitter/receiver which is plugged to my Stomp's L/Mono, but I still occasionally use a regular cable, e.g. when the transmitter is low on battery. The Stomp is integrated into a pedalboard, so there's always a cable plugged to the Stomp's Right input that is routed to a patch panel. Everything works more or less well except that amp blocks (just like other mono blocks in general) mix both input channels and that results in some gain loss because there's silence on the unused channel. It doesn't seem to be possible to solve this via the splitter and mixer blocks. Physically unplugging the Right input helps, of course.

It would be awesome if there was a way to configure the input block to use either the L/Mono or Right input, either globally or at a preset level.

Thanks that's helpful to know that is how the unit works.

On 3/8/2021 at 10:09 PM, zappazapper said:

Could you use some combination of a "Split Y" block

Exactly that.

Input L_R Switch.hlx

Assign a footswitch or snapshot to flip balance B.

Make sure all blocks are on path B, and at least one of them should be a mono block:

input_lr_switch_in.png.8d11c20f4a051b51bba17d8f37c72afe.png

(^ Using Gain blocks here only as placeholders. Use which ever blocks you like.)

Turn down level of path A on Mixer block:

input_lr_switch_out.png.15789b7fec33f8e3d5bc125f20a4650c.png

1 hour ago, zappazapper said:

it would be a waste of the split, which you might need for other things

Well, um, yes. Much like if you need a split to path B for "Effect X" only on a Stomp, obviously you cannot apply it again later in the block flow for "Effect Y"  anymore.

On the other hand, I, for one, rarely need a split at all, so I wouldn't be wasting anything.

That said, neither would I need this very scenario as far as I can say so far. (I do use 2-channel presets though.)
It's just a "proof of concept" that it's possible with the tool we have. That's all. :)

Yes, it's possible, but I think the point that @rd2rk was making is that in order to make it happen, one needs to abandon a key functionality of the unit (I think more people use the second path than don't), at which point an investment in a standalone A/B box rewards you with another signal path in the Helix, which is a pretty good value from where I'm standing. 

Note on A/B boxes: I have two - a passive LiveWire (sold under several brand names), and an active Morley. They both add considerable background hum. If you go this way, spend the money for a better quality unit with at least a ground switch. These can get pricey. Also, be aware that most A/B switches have a 1M input, so you'll lose the advantage of the Helix Input Impedance function.

51 minutes ago, zappazapper said:

a standalone A/B box

The original question was:

On 3/6/2021 at 7:29 PM, milet22 said:

Can I use the Hx stomp to replace my AB switch?

And the answer is:

Yes, you can.
"Can." As in: "… but you don't have to."

34 minutes ago, lou-kash said:

The original question was:

And the answer is:

Yes, you can.
"Can." As in: "… but you don't have to."

Fair enough. Maybe the answer is "yes you can, but not without crippling a core functionality of the unit."

On 3/6/2021 at 11:24 PM, rd2rk said:

Roll off the volume on the inactive guitar.

That comes with a -6 dB gain reduction on both channels, which is easily enough solved with a volume block, but you're wasting a block, and as this is digital gain, those that are eternally worried about aliasing noise just won't be having it. 

I think the real answer is "the unit is not designed to function like that." There's a way to do it but not without a penalty somewhere. It's possible that the solution, actually, is to unplug one guitar, put it on the stand, pick the other guitar up and plug that one in, considering even a standalone A/B box apparently comes with its own issues as well (I've never owned one...  I'll take @rd2rk's word on it). Some problems don't have a more elegant solution than a minor inconvenience. 

3 minutes ago, zappazapper said:

I think the real answer is "the unit is not designed to function like that."

Sigh. Where's the *rolleyes* emoticon when you need it…

Whatever.

If you still wish to have the ultimate last word, go ahead, this thread is now all yours. Signing off.

• Upvote 1