Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Connect Studio Monitors to Line 6 Helix and play without Audio interface using HELIX Native Plug-in

Whoob

Hello, Helix noob here.

Am I able to connect two studio monitors to my helix, connect the helix to my computer via USB, and then with the HELIX Native Plug-in interface play directy through my studio monitors?

Thanks in advance and apologies for the noob question.

With your monitors connected directly to your Helix, why would you want to use Helix Native? No computer or USB connection required. You will hear your guitar directly from the Helix outputs through your monitors.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, silverhead said:

With your monitors connected directly to your Helix, why would you want to use Helix Native? No computer or USB connection required. You will hear your guitar directly from the Helix outputs through your monitors.

I feel like using the Native plug-in would be easier to use than the interface on the helix, nonetheless, this is a good answer, thanks.

I'm assuming you mean the hardware interface?

I which case hook-up via USB and use HX Edit - pretty much the same as the Native interface, but controlling the hardware so no lag etc. Also, it means you can route computer audio through the Helix (via USB) to play along with (through your monitors)

1 hour ago, Whoob said:

I feel like using the Native plug-in would be easier to use than the interface on the helix, nonetheless, this is a good answer, thanks.

12 hours ago, Whoob said:

Hello, Helix noob here.

Am I able to connect two studio monitors to my helix, connect the helix to my computer via USB, and then with the HELIX Native Plug-in interface play directy through my studio monitors?

Thanks in advance and apologies for the noob question.

Yes, just make sure your Helix outputs are set to line level.

Using Native for editing... you might need to change settings on there to stop it outputting audio through USB. For ease of editing without the audio complications, you might be better using HX Edit on the PC for these occasions.

2 hours ago, somebodyelse said:

Yes, just make sure your Helix outputs are set to line level.

Using Native for editing... you might need to change settings on there to stop it outputting audio through USB. For ease of editing without the audio complications, you might be better using HX Edit on the PC for these occasions.

Audio complications are just one reason for not using Helix Native as a replacement editor. The more important reason is that Helix Native operates on the computer. Editing a preset using Helix Native does not affect anything on the Helix device. In order to get that preset on the Helix device you would have to use..... HX Edit! So everyone should use HX Edit in the first place. That’s it’s job.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, silverhead said:

Audio complications are just one reason for not using Helix Native as a replacement editor. The more important reason is that Helix Native operates on the computer. Editing a preset using Helix Native does not affect anything on the Helix device. In order to get that preset on the Helix device you would have to use..... HX Edit! So everyone should use HX Edit in the first place. That’s it’s job.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I've only had mine just over a month and haven't had chance to play around with the softwares beyond updating firmwares... I was under the impression that Native patches could be transferred to the Helix, not necessarily that it directly altered setting in realtime... which is why I'd have used Edit, anyway, in his shoes...

On 3/6/2021 at 11:14 PM, Whoob said:

I feel like using the Native plug-in would be easier to use than the interface on the helix,

Hi,

Are you certain that you are not confusing HX Native, which is a VST/AU plug in for a DAW, with HX Edit which is the software editor for Helix? 

They do look very similar, and yes in your case, HX Edit is probably easier to use than the interface on the Helix.

Hope this helps/makes sense