Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Preset & Snapshot Arrangement Management

GrampaBob

I'm just curious how some of you manage your preset arrangement on the display?  For example some creators only use presets with no snapshots if they use IR's (so clean, crunch, lead spread across 3 presets with various IR's and mixed amps), some use all snapshots with maybe a single IR/amp (clean, crunch, OD, lead all within same preset as snapshots then extra stuff to fill out the 8 slots).

Up to now, I have only been installing presets that are using snapshots for ease and avoiding single presets only (because I think it's a waste of space not utilizing snapshots), however I'd like to start mixing both methods because some presets with IRs are excellent by tone. I haven't mixed in stompbox mode as of yet in a hybrid display.  If have needed stomp, I have been switching MODE thru a song, so by display I have 8 snaps showing.

What's the best way to mix it up?

I've always used presets on a song by song basis, and either stomps or snapshots within each preset depending on the complexity within each song.  Because each preset only contains the amps, cabs and effects pertinent to one particular song it minimizes the DSP usage in each preset and allows me to easily take advantage of DSP intensive effects.  It also helps minimize the number of footswitches required in most presets as I only need to assign footswitches to blocks that will need to change during the course of a particular song.  Most importantly, in my case, It allows me to specifically craft the sound of the preset for each song which is important in my case because we cover a very wide range of styles and genres and I can organize setlists to minimize the number of instrument changes in a performance (different guitars, banjo, mandolin, resonator, etc).  The disadvantage being I don't have the flexibility to easily move to a different out of order song at a moments notice should the need arise.  Fortunately that's rarely the case as we always have our layout of songs pre-programmed for each performance.  I have a library of around 300 presets that I keep archived on my PC's hard drive and import them as needed for each performance.  Because all my presets are constantly archived they are backed up on a nightly basis so I never lose any presets.

I used to have my Helix setup for 4 snaps and 4 stomps, but I've changed to all stomps recently because the of the flexibility now provided by the command center for intermixing snaps and stomps and MIDI commands anywhere I need them.  Because I use less footswitches in each preset I've also been able to incorporate MIDI control of a BeatBuddy drum pedal into our setup.

I have plenty of songs that don't require snapshots.  I don't see that as any kind of waste as snapshots are just another tool to be used like any other tool when required by the song.

I use the Stomp mode layout and customize the screen.  Like DunedinDragon, I also create song specific presets and then use snapshots for each piece of the song (rhythm, lead, bridge, intro etc.) that requires a different sound.  

In my Stomp Layout (using the Command Center) I have buttons 1&2 as my HXPreset Prev/Next.  My actual snapshot buttons always work left>right, but I start from the right.  So if the song only has one snapshot "Rhythm" (snapshot 1), it goes on the button right next to Tap Tempo.  If there are 2 snapshots "Rhythm" & "Lead".....Lead will be next to Tap Tempo and Rhythm will be the button to the left.  That way my 'workspace' is always left  to right, my lead is always closest to my wah.  

On rare occasions I need all 5 bottom row buttons for snaps, but I still have the 3 remaining top row buttons for any Stomp buttons for effects.   If I need to have a momentary Lead button, that always goes on the bottom left area, cause its easiest for me to step and play then let off.