Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod X3 Live Keeps Rebooting

jkuijpers

Hi all,

I encounter a problem with my POD X3 LIVE, it keeps on rebooting, the display shows the Logo "Line 6" and reboots immediately followed wit a reboot. This continues now for about 45 minutes. Monkey does not recognize the device, hence it's not booted yet.

Before this I had some problems with a memory bank that seems corrupted, no sound when it was selected, no name but **** on tone 2 and a frozen computer (windows 7 Home).

Is there a way to reset this device? 

Thanks in advance

Jeroen

POD X3 Series: Factory Reset, Reflash, and Firm...
May 08 2008 06:31 PM | Line6Tony in POD X3

Q: Can I reset the POD X3 series units directly from the unit? A: Yes. Hold the "home" button for two seconds, then highlight "reset user presets" navigating with the 4-way arrow key. Press save, then hold the save button for five seconds and release.... 

• Upvote 2

Thanks toneman,

I tried to reset it with the home button (it's published more than once) but unfortunately this only works when the POD's software is loaded completely.

The problem with my POD is the booting is not completed, so there must be a reset button somewhere in that device to reset the POD to factory setting and load the defaults from EEPROM or other memory without the use of software to navigate through menu's etc.

• Downvote 1

Q: How do I reflash in "safe mode"?
A: Safe mode can be used when a unit cannot be reflashed using the normal reflash procedure. Hold the four-way arrow key to the right while powering the POD X3 unit on to start your unit in safe mode. You can then reflash the unit as decribed above. 

• Upvote 3

Thanks Toneman2121,

however still no result.

I'm able to navigate through the menu when booting with the right arrow button pressed, but I'm not able to select "reset user presets", there is a menu displayed with the entries, "Pedal Call -", "Buttons - ", "Pots - ", Ëncoders - ", "Flash - ", "SDRAM - ", "LEDs - ", "LCD - ", "Variax - ", "Jacks - ".

Navigating to the Flash item and press the save button for >5 seconds but no reaction for the device.

However when the POD has been booted in this menu I'm able to connect to it using Monkey.

With monkey I performed below described actions with the Device Firmware (overwrite user presets followed the steps as described by the wizard):

Flash Memory: Re-install Latest -> no difference, during this action the corrupt bank has been copied from bank 30A to 01A

USB Firmware: Re-install Latest -> no difference

Flash Memory, Rollback to version 1.21 -> no difference

Flash Memory, Upgrade to version 2.01 -> no difference

From the backup and Restore tab in Monkey:

Download and installed Pack Fanatic Bundle File: Studio & Live  -> no difference (all banks including 01A are overwritten)

Removed the power plug for 30 seconds, etc.

Good thought, toneman2121. Symptoms of this sort often indicate a problem with the power supply.

@jkuijpers: Is there somewhere you can get your hands on a PSU that matches these specs exactly?

https://www.globalfulfillment.net/gfsnet/line6/10Expand.aspx?ProductCode=98-030-0042-05

If it is a PSU problem the X3L may come back to life immediately. If not I would power up in Safe Mode as above and try reinstalling the firmware again.

• Upvote 2

Thanks, I'm aware of the AC version of the PSU (thanks to you guys :)). 

Plugged in an original working PSU from an other POD X3 Live, but still no result. Checked my PSU in the other POD X3 Live and it seems to be ok.

Re-installed the firmware with use of the other PSU but no progress made

As the PSU seems not to be the issue, 

It is a firmware issue in the device, I'm open for new ideas.

Played around with the POD, re-flashed downgrade upgrade.

When I boot the POD in the safe mode and start Gearbox this error message is displayed.

Version is 2.01

---------------------------
GearBox
This tone requires you update your POD X3 to 2.00 or higher.
OK   

Played around with the POD, re-flashed downgrade upgrade.

When I boot the POD in the safe mode and start Gearbox this error message is displayed.

Version is 2.01

GearBox
This tone requires you update your POD X3 to 2.00 or higher.
OK   

i take it that your x3 is no longer re-booting. did you try gearbox in normal start up mode? i'm wondering why the message says "this tone". hmm  :huh: 

i take it that your x3 is no longer re-booting. did you try gearbox in normal start up mode? i'm wondering why the message says "this tone". hmm  :huh: 

I think the tone itself is damaged or corrupted.

Used gearbox before the failure, but currently there is no usb connection (only in safe mode there is some communication).

It happened when I selected the tone in gearbox (my computer was hanging and only an forced reboot of the pc helped) and reboot the POD without usb connection, this to delete the tone manually (in the beginning it even was on a higher bank, after an update of the firmware it was moved to the first bank).

• 1 month later...

Hi a new episode to this story,

Played along with the POD, and was able to downgrade the firmware to version 1.0 and guess what, it booted and I was able to use the pod without the computer. Upgrading the POD to the latest firmware version and the same issue again, rebooting and not able to select other tones.

Downloaded all available firmware versions and I have tried them all without success :(. Back to version 1.0 and it works.

However, I'm not able to work with Gearbox, there is no communication between POD and PC in the sense of tunes. Gearbox asked to upgrade the firmware but that makes not sense, it won't work.

The bank causing the problem is now overwritten.

It seems to me (wild guess of course) the old firmware uses less bytes on the bank and there still might be a  few corrupt locations inside.

Are there people familiar with this issue?

Thanks

When you go to upgrade the X3, do you tell it to save your presets or over write them.  I do remember issues when you tell it to save your presets.  Save your presets to your computer and then when it asks if you want to save your presets during the upgrade say no.  This may help uncorrupt any corrupted patches by deleting them from your X3.  Hope this helps in some way

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.  I have been watching this story with interest as the same thing is happening to me, except for one thing.  I can't get it to boot at all (keeps recycling through the flash screen).

I have tried downgrading to firmware 1.0 but there is a problem - I can't seem to find it.  Monkey only lets you roll back the USB Firmware to v102.  That is, assuming by firmware in the post above you mean USB Firmware and not Flashware.  If you mean Flash memory, then the earliest I can get is v1.21.

I have downgraded to these versions and get the same error in gearbox with a corrupted tone A1.  I load an old bundle of tones and transfer to the Pod and then turn it off and back - same thing, rebooting.  I have confirmed that Gearbox actually transfers the new tones to the Pod, but if I then update the flash memory to latest - the tone is corrupted again.

I think it is a memory hardware issue - Line 6, care to help out with this one?  Really disappointing - have been very happy with Pod X3 Live, but have since gone to HD500 - back to the drawing board after countless hours fiddling with tones and midi on the X3.

Line 6 Techie guys - please provide an answer...  :blink:

Hi all.  I have been watching this story with interest as the same thing is happening to me, except for one thing.  I can't get it to boot at all (keeps recycling through the flash screen).

I have tried downgrading to firmware 1.0 but there is a problem - I can't seem to find it.  Monkey only lets you roll back the USB Firmware to v102.  That is, assuming by firmware in the post above you mean USB Firmware and not Flashware.  If you mean Flash memory, then the earliest I can get is v1.21.

I have downgraded to these versions and get the same error in gearbox with a corrupted tone A1.  I load an old bundle of tones and transfer to the Pod and then turn it off and back - same thing, rebooting.  I have confirmed that Gearbox actually transfers the new tones to the Pod, but if I then update the flash memory to latest - the tone is corrupted again.

I think it is a memory hardware issue - Line 6, care to help out with this one?  Really disappointing - have been very happy with Pod X3 Live, but have since gone to HD500 - back to the drawing board after countless hours fiddling with tones and midi on the X3.

Line 6 Techie guys - please provide an answer...  :blink:

Hi,

I suppose Monkey back ups all firmware version it has upgraded to enable a downgrade at a later stage. Probably you have bought your POD with firmware version 1.21 and did some upgrades. 

These versions can be downloaded on the Line6 page (can't find at the moment, but I was able to find them) I downloaded all previous version and installed them.

If you want I can email the file to you, just send me a PM with your email address.

• 2 years later...

I just experienced this issue with my Pod . Friend tried to tweak a sound manually and the next thing .The pod hangs up. I can get to the safe boot and I can do some of the tests . When in safe mode I can up load or down load the banks via the USB. I am on firm Ware 2.1 and I managed to downgrade to version 2 .still the same issue .I have hunted the web flat for older versions to no avail please could either somebody from line 6 or somebody from the forum please email me the lowest version available. Email address is Raphaels@mweb.co.za

• 2 months later...

I just got a used POD X3 PRO last week and I have been having a similar issue.  Just randomly reboots.  In addition to this, I have noticed also that the knob that you use to cycle through the presets freezes at any given number if you turn it too fast, which often causes it to reboot as well.  Turning the unit off and turning it back on fixes it temporarily but then it happens again...I am going to be playing live soon and I need to figure this out.  Please help! :)

• 8 months later...

It needs to be serviced at an authorized Line 6 service center that knows the product. It's not something you can fix yourself, it's a hardware problem on the inside that needs to be dealt with. It's a ten year old product that needs some servicing, like a car's 50,000 mile check up.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I've had the same problems with an Pod XT and an POD X3 Pro. Opened the boxes, cleaned with compressed  air and used some contactspray (though optically not necessary), gave it some time,... Since, both appliances are working fabulous for more than a year now.

On 4/25/2018 at 10:24 AM, dirkplessers said:

Hi all,

I've had the same problems with an Pod XT and an POD X3 Pro. Opened the boxes, cleaned with compressed  air and used some contactspray (though optically not necessary), gave it some time,... Since, both appliances are working fabulous for more than a year now.

I had mine X3 Pro open and there was quite a bit of dust in there. I thought about spraying with some CRC or Deoxit after I cleaned it with low compressed air but I didn't. I may after reading your post.

On 3/19/2018 at 1:45 PM, psarkissian said:

It needs to be serviced at an authorized Line 6 service center that knows the product. It's not something you can fix yourself, it's a hardware problem on the inside that needs to be dealt with. It's a ten year old product that needs some servicing, like a car's 50,000 mile check up.

Thank you for the response psarkissian!

I can appreciate this advice. Trying to find an easy, cheap solution is one of my character flaws I guess. I envision Spicoli from Fast Times, "My old man's a television repairman. He's got this ULTIMATE set of tools. I can fix it"

I bought this X3 Pro on EBay and it worked fine for the first week exploring the presets. Then the USB cable I purchased on that prime site came in the mail. Logged on and used the Pod Farm one time. Was really jazzed and stayed up past my bedtime tweaking around in it. Next time I turned it on, it started rebooting. That's when I became an unpaid Line 6 research analyst. Still can't play guitar real well and my tone is for s&#@, but I'm real smooth with a screwdriver so there goes my bench space!

Bottom line is I like this unit and if I can't tweak it into a usable item without letting all of the magic smoke out of it, I'll find a service center somewhere around Tampa and have it operated on with no insurance. I do have an older Line 6 Floor Pod that has some fantastic options too, but I wanted a PC interface to record some damage and the floor unit doesn't have that.

PS: Have you ever seen a gold-faced X3Pro?

31393642_10211537394578891_9044906241511

Don't go there, if it's a re-boot problem it will be both hardware and software glitch.

A tech trained at Line 6 gear should deal with it.

Being from Encino and a Valley Dude, I sometimes wonder if Jeff Spicoli was modeled after me.

Picture him with darker bushy hair and you have me. Same outfit and all. Though I didn't hang with

Mick and the Stones like Spicoli, I did crew for Iron Butterfly (and their two spin-off bands) for four years.

Gold front, hmmm,... what's the serial number? Found it. Yeah, have it done by an authorized service tech.

When it does that, it's not a user fixable thing.

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2018 at 6:55 PM, psarkissian said:

Don't go there, if it's a re-boot problem it will be both hardware and software glitch.

A tech trained at Line 6 gear should deal with it.

Being from Encino and a Valley Dude, I sometimes wonder if Jeff Spicoli was modeled after me.

Picture him with darker bushy hair and you have me. Same outfit and all. Though I didn't hang with

Mick and the Stones like Spicoli, I did crew for Iron Butterfly (and their two spin-off bands) for four years.

Gold front, hmmm,... what's the serial number? Found it. Yeah, have it done by an authorized service tech.

When it does that, it's not a user fixable thing.

That's quite the resume there psarkissian! But I'm old enogh to see you're showing your age. You gotta have some great stories from that experience! 

I'll get the Pod to the local technician. Thanks again