Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Go Wireless

HonestOpinion

7 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

I think a lot of people might have already guessed that the Wireless version of this unit was the second piece of hardware that DI hinted at about the time of the v3.0 firmware update. Now we have both this and the HX Stomp XL out of the gate, maybe we can expect v.3.1 firmware to drop fairly quickly after these. I know it went into Beta a while back, but the “on runway” and “on approach” quips from Frank R have been lacking over on TGP. In fact it’s almost too quiet. Although, Eric did say “not February”, that has gone and Spring approaches - let’s hope it doesn’t happen on April 1st.

I read this on a music store website, " The POD Go Wireless's receiver is mounted just in front of the expression pedal to give you a clear line of sight — up to 125 feet — between your axe and board. " What this says to me is I may possibly need to have line of sight for it to work at it's optimum. Does anyone know if this is true? If there is a piece of furniture between me and the receiver will it still work? Sorry if this is obvious. I'm a newbie when it comes to wireless guitar. I'm guessing it just results in a lower functional distance.

1 hour ago, brue58ski said:

I read this on a music store website, " The POD Go Wireless's receiver is mounted just in front of the expression pedal to give you a clear line of sight — up to 125 feet — between your axe and board. " What this says to me is I may possibly need to have line of sight for it to work at it's optimum. Does anyone know if this is true?

Yes, it's always been the case. Any sort of physical barrier could potentially be an issue. 

If there is a piece of furniture between me and the receiver will it still work?

Most likely, but drop-outs may or may not happen occasionally...depends on the barrier in question, and there's only one way to find out. I've gone into the next room on the other side of a wall with my G10S just for giggles, and for the most part it maintains the connection, but it's not 100%. For small stages and the kind of gigs that most of us are likely playing, it works perfectly fine. Never had an issue with a clear line of sight. However, if you're meandering across a 200 foot stage in an arena, this is not the device you want.

The battery life on the other hand is a whole other can of worms... if it's the same transmitter as the G10S, then the advertised battery life is likely to be grossly overestimated. Check out some of the threads on the Relay forum...

1 hour ago, cruisinon2 said:

Yes, it's always been the case. Any sort of physical barrier could potentially be an issue. 

Most likely, but drop-outs may or may not happen occasionally...depends on the barrier in question, and there's only one way to find out. I've gone into the next room on the other side of a wall with my G10S just for giggles, and for the most part it maintains the connection, but it's not 100%. For small stages and the kind of gigs that most of us are likely playing, it works perfectly fine. Never had an issue with a clear line of sight. However, if you're meandering across a 200 foot stage in an arena, this is not the device you want.

The battery life on the other hand is a whole other can of worms... if it's the same transmitter as the G10S, then the advertised battery life is likely to be grossly overestimated. Check out some of the threads on the Relay forum...

For the line of sight, my gigs would make it hard, I like to wander the crowd/bars during solos and other things, and being on the other side of a monitor wedge and 10-50 people dancing sure might make it not functional for me. 

If the desire for a small footprint because of typically small stage sizes in clubs or if budget restraints are the big factors in choosing a PodGo rather than a Helix then it draws out the question in my mind as to the relevance of an included wireless.  If footprint is an issue then it doesn't seem likely that a wireless would be needed and it seems to me that anyone playing big enough shows that they need a wireless would probably choose something other than a PodGo.  The question of furniture getting in the way would never cross my mind if I was in the market for a new wireless or a new board with a wireless.  If the reason furniture is an issue is because it will be for home use then I have to wonder why the need for a wireless.  How big is your living room anyway?  "PodGo" and "wireless" are two things I would never have normally put together in the same sentence.  Doesn't anyone else think this is an odd pairing?

I use a Boss wireless with my lounge amp simply because my wife doesn't like wires!

I also made a wireless channel switcher to make her even happier.

The receiver is tucked away in the back of the amp and doesn't cause any issues, I guess that's the equivalent of furniture.

I am a pod go user and have two boss WL-50 units, one for my acoustic rig and one for electric.  they work great!   Pre pandemic, we played on an outdoor stage with about 3K people in attendance. I was a bit nervous to try the Boss unit into my pod go to the huge FOH sound system.  Boss technical support said it should perform well on a big stage.  The FOH sound engineer said he hadnt seen a small pedal device before and we were both  curious in sound check to see if it would work or would I need to plug in.   It was a very big stage with 5 of us and in sound checks everything worked great.  during the live show the little boss pedal kicked some butt and the FOH sound engineer said from 50 feet back on a riser the WL-50 performed well and didnt notice any sound drop outs.   Fast forward to the new PodGo wireless product. I am excited to see that on the market and will sell my  Podgo and buy the new one with the wireless feature. Love the innovation. Hopefully it performs as well as the Boss WL-50.