Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

powercab plus 112, how to open

6six6

i bought a powercab plus 112 recently and i need to open it, something has come loose in transit,  how do you open one of these, on the out side other than the ones on the handle, there are about

6 screws,   3 on the back,   3 on top.

there was someone who asked the same question on this forum and the answer was use a butter knife to wedge it open.

where do you start from

is this thing glued all the way round.

does the grill come off

has anyone here opened up a powercab,

please any pictures to where to start or any answers please

thank you in an advance

so with help from here , i did open my powercab 112 plus, and the power supple had fallen off, nothing is holding it in place so i used some zipp ties for now until  i find the right size screws

all the wire connectors had come off, in delivery by parcel force.

had to take it all apart and re assemble all of  it  

hope you find something interesting here  and a big thank you to jamcoops for showing me how to open the powercab, mystery solved 

20210317_122309.jpg

20210317_115225.jpg

20210317_115207.jpg

Edited by 6six6
updated

Hopefully someone will answer this becasue I have the same problem.  This is the second one of these where the processor unit has come unglued.  The first one was brand new so swapped straight away by the dealer.  I've had this one over two years now though.  As I have two would really like to know how to do this myself without having to take it to Milton Keynes for an expensive repair.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi all,

I have worked it out. You need to lever off the front cloth grill. There is snap connectors in each corner. Just get something thin and strong down the sides near the connectors and you can lever it loose. Be careful not to damage the edges though.

Mark

IMG_20210315_163134.jpg

IMG_20210315_163157.jpg

IMG_20210315_163228.jpg

Now I have got in I must say I am not surprised that the board has come loose.  It is just a friction fit on four stanchions.  These stanchions are threaded like the ones you get in a PC for the Motherboard but no screws have been used.

I will source screws for mine to stop it doing it again!

Mark

IMG_20210315_165525.jpg

IMG_20210315_165003.jpg

Brilliant jamcoops excellent work.

I'm not the only one with this powercab problem,  thanks for the pictures and showing the whole Internet how to open a powercab. 

So many people on different websites have asked this question,  me being in England,  it would be so expensive to post it to line 6, best to have ago myself. 

But this problem of the processor falling off and other wires coming undone looks like a common problem that line 6 should of sorted out .

cheap under cutting budgets 

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The Line 6 specs state the Powercab has a specially designed co-axial speaker, “ and a compression driver” In fact there is no additional separate compression driver. The compression driver fires through the centre of the  12” speaker in the way Tannoy and Altec originally designed, hence the “coaxial” term. Unfortunately the dust cap on the 12" speaker is acoustically pretty opaque (see the first photo), and the 12" cone isn't narrow enough to load the compression driver like a real horn or flare would.

Consequently this design is a long way from being a true FRFR speaker, and its HF response is severely curtailed.

I bought my PowerCab

On 12/27/2021 at 4:19 PM, amsdenj said:

Did you get a picture of the back of the speaker?

to use for both acoustic and electric amplification, but it falls well short as an acoustic amp. However, I am about to try replacing the "coaxial" design with a separate compression driver and horn to see if I can improve the HF response overall.

4.jpg

IMG_1174.JPG

IMG_1175.JPG

You’re very welcome Amsdenj, I wouldn’t have been able to get them without jamcoops’s description of how to get inside.

I like the design powercab cabinet, the tilt back legs don't look like they'll survive many gigs, but I use an amp stand anyway.

I’m very tempted to replace the Line 6 circuitry and drivers with a high quality PA amp and drivers to move it nearer to a genuine "FRFR" full range performance.

However, that may require cutting a new baffle board to get the porting right, and a proper horn flare in.

I don’t use its speaker emulation, as I switch between acoustic and electric instruments, so use the speaker emulation IR  in the Helix for the electric instruments, and none at all for the acoustic. S 

www.redtapemusic.net 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok,

just had the same problem like all the other guys. I bought an used 2018 Powercab with audio problems and while opening it I also saw this HORRIBLE way of holding heavy PCBs WITHOUT ANY screws....

Line 6, this is really ridiculous. Are 10 screws for fixing two pcbs tight so expensive? Or isn't this cab meant to be used on the road? I hope later versions got a fix of this.

Over here in germany any engineer who would develop such *** thing instantly get fired

Thank you very much for giving me something to work. I wouldn't know what to do with my time instead.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@Stolenchild Thank you for sharing those pictures. I was looking at Celestion's site and saw that they have additional FRFR Speakers that "appear"  to be able to replace the CDX1-1010. I'm a novice with all this stuff still, do you know if https://celestion.com/product/f12-x200/ could replace the speaker that is in there? I'm trying to understand the specs and don't know if this speaker would be a big or little upgrade in the sound. Any thoughts? 

• 3 months later...
On 9/11/2023 at 1:27 PM, Porfi3000 said:

Does anyone where to buy the PCB?

Same question I have.  I too had the "something came loose in transit" issue, and when I opened the Powercab, I saw that the dangling PCB also has a fried circuit on the underside.  Does anyone know where I can buy a new PCB or at least the metal piece that I reconnect to the board?  I'd like to try to fix before tossing and buying a Fender FR-12.

1.jpg

2.jpg