Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recording processed guitar signal with unprocessed YouTube backing track

zozo77

I would like to simultaneously record unprocessed YouTube backing track, processed guitar signal and webcam video to make some music cover videos. Would that be possible and how?
I could use mobile phone connect to stereo input (aux in) for YouTube if necessary, but it would be easier if I could play YouTube form my PC while recording. 
Would there be any significant delay between YouTube audio and processed guitar audio or between webcam video and audio signal?
I tried to do that using my Digitech RP500 multieffects unit connected as audio interface to my laptop via USB, paying YouTube video from my PC and recording with Screencast-o-matic (it can record video from web cam, audio from YouTube and processed guitar audio from RP500 at the same time). I had two issues: the first was significant delay in recorded material between audio and video and between Youtube audio and guitar audio. The second issue was degraded quality in recorded sound in comparison with whast I was hearing during the recording. I was using my headphones (connected to RP500) in both cases - when I was monitoring recording and when I was listening recorded material. Did anyone tried anything similar with Line6 Pod Go and how did it go?

Your best bet would be to download the video first and put it into your DAW. That way you can use the GO as the audio device and the playback is controlled in your DAW. You might need a format converter depending on your DAW....Worst case, you extract the audio. good luck.

19 hours ago, spaceatl said:

Your best bet would be to download the video first and put it into your DAW. That way you can use the GO as the audio device and the playback is controlled in your DAW. You might need a format converter depending on your DAW....Worst case, you extract the audio. good luck.

Any recommended DAW that can record webcam video and audio from GO at the same time, without significant delay between those two? The idea is recording videa and audio, not only audio.

There might be some streaming software that does it, which is pretty much what you seem to be trying to achieve.

https://www.thetechlounge.com/best-streaming-software/

Anyway, with distinct tools;

1) download and play your YT video

2) record your guitar using a DAW

3) record your webcam video / sound using some other software

4) merge everything using video editor

Of course this wouldn't be 'live'.  If you output the sound via Go, there will be no delay, probably need a decent pc to pull it off!

1 hour ago, zozo77 said:

Any recommended DAW that can record webcam video and audio from GO at the same time, without significant delay between those two? The idea is recording videa and audio, not only audio.

Depends on what your tools are...For me, I would download the video, extract the audio track, create a project in Reaper, import the extracted audio and then record my tracks shooting video at the same time....After I mixed it down, I would use iMovie or Sony Vegas to put the audio & video together and do the video render...Just depends if I was using my PC or Mac for which video software I would use to render the video. All you do is line up the audio from the camera to the rendered audio, then delete the camera audio...

• Like 1