Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

3.1 update HOPEFULLY released around St Patrick's day March 17 if you care

brue58ski

I hope your St. Patrick's Day is on March 17th, like the rest of the world!

That must be the amp of a special "Colour" and the new "Math" delay thing, beside the optimising to the engine etc, which DI says some people will notice and some will not.

;)

5 hours ago, datacommando said:

I hope your St. Patrick's Day is on March 17th, like the rest of the world!

That must be the amp of a special "Colour"

I'm trying to think of a green amp and can only think of Matchless :-)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, molul said:

Nice! I wonder if the poly engine optimization will allow putting a poly capo, a revv gen red amp+cab and several other effects on the same preset on a Helix LT.

I wouldnt really hold my breath on this... :)

I'm confident and optimistic that Eric's insights of the anticipated release will be actualized in an impressive version update! Once it is fully baked, we'll all see what it has to offer. If on or about St. Patrick's Day, toast the release with a Green Beer! ;)

23 hours ago, mritt said:

My guess is the Rev Gen's GREEN fuzz channel.

Well, if you check the video (at around 27:00 in ) which I posted in this link (below), you can see that both Eric and Ben seem to indicate that it is the colour of the tolex covering on the amp that is what is being hinted at. I maybe wrong, but, here ya go...

https://line6.com/support/topic/59310-hx-stomp-xl-how-many-of-you-were-waiting-for-this/?tab=comments#comment-367535

Possibly Orange?

Hope this hasn’t pissed on your chips.

24 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

If I hack my Helix, write my own update, and turn it into a $1500 brick does that void the warranty?

Ha. Listen. You see this all the time, proprietary software being released into the public domain and developed by users and hobbyists. At some point L6 is going to abandon the Helix. Maybe we should start the campaign now. 

19 hours ago, zappazapper said:

Ha. Listen. You see this all the time, proprietary software being released into the public domain and developed by users and hobbyists. At some point L6 is going to abandon the Helix. Maybe we should start the campaign now. 

Although it wouldn't open up the core functionality of a device like open source would, really when you think about it there are so many freeware or even paid VST/AU plugins available. All it would take is one of the current modeling companies enabling them to be run efficiently, relatively crash-free, and agnostically(e.g. any VST/AU from any company or developer that satisfied a general set of requirements or standard) and we would be halfway there.  Obsolescence could definitely be delayed if you were able to just add plugins which are improving all the time. 

You could potentially encourage existing industry leaders like Neural, Fractal, or Line6 to provide the equivalent of a Quad Cortex, Axe-FX, and Native plugin available to you to use simultaneously on your "open" floor or rack hardware. And again, there are mountains of freeware plugins available. Might take an optimized and powerful hardware/firmware platform but the technology seems to be getting there quickly.  Some devices appear to be moving in this direction already.

It could be interesting to have an open source modeling platform at some point. Simple devices like the Behringer FCB1010 have had their capabilities enhanced by swapping out EPROMs/firmware. Phones, tablets, and video streaming devices have been rooted; the same with operating systems on other devices. I suppose it could be done. That or just develop a modeler with open source from jump. 

The usual open source challenges would still exist. Security, support, code quality or lack there of, "curated" programming to maintain feature quality, etc..  Not to speak of the level of expertise both technical and musical required to pull this off and the willingness to give it away. Still, I suppose it could happen.  No saying how satisfactory the results would be and separating the wheat from the chaff would be a monumental task. I personally am offering for a minimal fee a firmware chip mod that will convert your Helix from an impressive and capable modeler into nothing but an A/B switcher.  Ah, simplicity. So far no takers.

Ya I've mentioned the idea of a VST Wrapper block on here before. The consensus, like a lot of things around here (ahem), was that it's a great idea and that it doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of ever happening. 

Reaper evolved from a pet project from the guy that created Winamp after he sold out to AOL. JSFX (short for "Jesussonic") was originally created for the purpose of making a Linux-based guitar FX rig which would enable users to program their own effects modules. They eventually decided that hardware wasn't the business they wanted to be in and that an audio effects programming language was too specific, so they created Reaper essentially as a home for JSFX. And Reaper itself operates on a completely different model than any other DAW, where a lot of the features of the program are actually extensions written by users. Of course, it's a lot easier to do that on software written for general-purpose computers as opposed to a purpose-built unit like the Helix, and also there's a big difference between a system designed for live performance vs for recording. If a recording app has a bug, theoretically there's some time to get online and have the issue addressed (and they are quite responsive to bug reports and feature requests - a few of my suggestions have made it into the changelog) before you have to get the final mix out. If your live rig has a bug, you have to live with it in the moment, which could be in front of thousands of people. So I don't blame L6 for keeping it closed and slow and subject to a boat load of testing. But once it goes EOL, who knows. Would it be in their interests to release it? Do they have enough faith in their customer base's enthusiasm for their next generation product? Does that even matter? It's like a lot of things around here (ahem) - great idea, but probably not gonna happen. 

Years ago, I used to use Brainspawn Forte with a RigKontrol 3 and laptop live. Could do amazing things with it, ran all sorts of synths and plugins but was hated by sound engineers and venues as I didnt have an amp. Went to Helix floor to appease the ludites and have less stuff to go wrong but do miss it. Great program for those that havent tried it. 

Shame no 3.1 yet but the year is young ;  )