Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Custom 1x12 cab and F12-X200

MetalBatman

I have a custom 1x12 cab. I have a Stomp. I read that Celestion offer a F12-X200 speaker which is for modelers.

Can I go directly from my Stomp to my custom cab with this speaker in it or does it require some way to power the speaker other than the Stomp?

If I use a power stage what one would be a good idea that doesn't need a rack?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, MetalBatman said:

So something like a HoTone Loudster Portable Power Amp could sit at the bottom of an open back 1x12 with a F12-X200 inside and a Helix Stomp running into the front of it?

Never heard of that one... and this ain't my first rodeo. A quick glance reveals a grand total of 2 reviews on  Amazon... in today's world, that speaks volumes, lol. Personally, I'd look for something with a bit more of a pedigree.

If you want cheap, small, and portable, the EHX 44 Magnum is a stomp box-sized power amp. It's only rated at 44W, but I've played through it before, and it'll get stupid loud for that power rating. Plus, you're only driving one speaker, so it should be plenty. You might have trouble being heard over a really loud drummer, but that's always gonna be the case with only a 1x12 cabinet, no matter what's driving it.

On 3/11/2021 at 10:03 AM, MetalBatman said:

I have a custom 1x12 cab. I have a Stomp. I read that Celestion offer a F12-X200 speaker which is for modelers.

Can I go directly from my Stomp to my custom cab with this speaker in it or does it require some way to power the speaker other than the Stomp?

If I use a power stage what one would be a good idea that doesn't need a rack?

Thanks for posting this. What an interesting speaker. I was not aware of this Celestion's existence. I wonder if anyone will try retrofitting a PowerCab with one of these? Hard to get specific information on the stock "custom designed" speaker in the PowerCab. IIRC the initial literature on the PowerCab gave me the impression was that it might be an Eminence speaker with a Celestion HF driver. Strange when I poke around the web now though I see no mention of the Celestion driver or really much information at all on the speaker that comes stock with the PC. I wonder how the PowerCab's speaker would compare with the Celestion F12-X200.  Or (looks to the side with a conspiratorial glance) are they one and the same?

https://celestion.com/product/f12-x200/

I watched a couple of videos on that HoTone Loudster Portable Power Amp and at least in Europe it is very inexpensive.  Looks like it is really basic, essentially no preamp controls just a power amp, so tone-shaping will primarily be coming from the Stomp or the rest of the pedalboard. There are so many nano, micro, mini, and "(power)amp in a pedal" choices out there now that your options are limitless if you want a small form factor amp to pair with your cab. If you have one of these already I would give it a go.

Personally I think its possible you might be able to get a great sound with the F12-X200 in the right cabinet.  I would expect to see some new FRFRs coming out with this speaker soon if they are not already. Strictly an uniformed opinion though as I have not heard one. Please post your results back if you end up getting one.

Update: Looking around for information on the speaker in the PowerCab(I own a PC+ but have no intention of taking the back off) I saw someone else has started a topic with the same question I started with here:

One problem I am thinking about right now is how much these power amps distort and when they start distorting.

I would think distortion on distortion would be mud.

So the power amp needs to have clean headroom for my Line6 profiles to sound as they do.

Basically the power amp needs to deliver a flat type response at good volumes. Headroom.

• Upvote 1