Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

List for the factory presets of the Pod Go how they differ, i.e. Jazz, Rock, Blues, Santana, ZZ-Top.....

RICKMAYFIELD

I'M LOOKING for a list for the factory presets of the Pod Go, how they differ, i.e. Jazz, Rock, Blues and which factory presets stand for which sounds, (for example Street with no name = U2).  So which factory presets stand for example for Santana, ZZ-Top.... THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. If the list costs, no problem, contact info@rick-mayfield.de

Yeah the presets are ... lackluster.  It would have been nice if they were categorized; jazz, metal, rock, lead, ambient, etc., but yeah it's all mixed up.  It's worth it going through each preset though, noting what you like and dislike, check what effects they're using, etc. 

Also, you can download patches from the L6 free share thing, so maybe you'll have better luck finding the type of sound you like.  But anyway, even if you had the perfect patch, you'll likely need to adjust it for your own guitar, amp, etc.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 6:58 AM, OmegaSlayer said:

The presets are terrible

The device is incredible, but I highly doubt the presets can be tweaked to make them decent

You'd better start from scratch

The factory presets are not 'terrible', but factory presets are always problematic in MFX units - you'll find some you really like, some you'll think are average, and some you think are dreadful. It is the designers view of what sounds good but with their gear and are also intended to help give users an idea of what the MFX unit can do. Some users love the presets, others hate them.  You also need to check whether the preset has expression pedal control as that can change it totally. Aside from personal taste ie we all have different ears, the biggest problem is inconsistency of gear and how you are using the patch ie type of style.  It depends on so many variable factors that it is simply impossible to allow for when designing factory patches and very often the patch designer is trying to come up with a compromise that will be decent sounding for the majority. For example:

1. The guitar you are using - some patches will sound better with single coils and worse with humbuckers - and vice-a-versa. The pickup output will also impact on what you hear.  

2. The type of headphones you have (you need  good studio monitoring headphones eg Audio Technica ATHM50X, or Beyerdynamic 770 Pro - too many folk think their expensive or great sounding headphones that sound terrific when listening to you tube or mp3's or CD's should sound great with Pod Go and blame Pod Go for what they are hearing - studio monitor headphones are very different - not expensive, the two mentioned are around £120 UK, but can transform what you hear from Pod Go)

3 Your amp and how you connect it. If you are putting Pod Go through the front end, the pre-amp stage of your amp will colour tone and add distortion. If you have an FX loop, put Pod Go through the FX return for a less coloured tone

4. Your speakers - either desktop or amp will colour tone

5. The factory presets will have typically been designed in the studio using FRFR (full range, flat response) so if you are using anything else, it will sound different to what the patch creator had in mind.  To prove the point watch the demo vid of Pod Go at NAAM  with Phil Hindmarsh.

Now, load down Phil's patches that are available free from Line 6 Custom Tone and play through your rig?  Do they sound like Phil's tones?  (put aside his fabulous playing and just focus on tone).  I'd be amazed if they did and you might even think the patches are 'terrible'. Even though one of my guitars is a Yamaha Pacifica 611VFM (not wholly dis-similar to his HSS Pacifica) I still had to tweak them a bit and that was with my ATHM50X headphones and going through a Headrush FRFR108 powered cab.  Through a guitar amp with a different guitar, they sound totally different.  So, if you want to hear the presets as intended, use studio monitoring headphones and/or an FRFR speaker.    

Also, here's Paul demoing some Pod Go factory presets - do yours sound like this with your gear?

Re the part of your statement above that I've put in bold - utter and complete nonsense.  Once you have an understanding of how Pod Go works, and build up your experience and knowledge of tone building (I had to go through the same learning curve, and I've been playing some 50 years and have used DSP gear for around half of that) yes of course you can. Even just changes to the cab  model and/or mic type & placement, and upping the cab dB levels can transform the patch. If you've ever wondered why an IR can sound so different to the stock cabs, a big difference is the cab output level that helps give a bigger sound.  Setting the frequency range to match the real speaker is another good 'trick'. I've tweaked most of the factory presets to suit inc adding snapshots and footswitch settings.  

There are loads of vids on youtube by some very experienced, knowledgeable and helpful folk - it's well worth starting off with the Pod Go vids for user tips/tricks and then looking at tone-building videos - you'll find them a huge help.  But here's the thing - Pod Go is NOT a simple 'plug n play' MFX unit that will give you instant tonal gratification.  Just like any other MFX (and I've had Boss, Zoom, Yamaha, Vox and Line 6 units) you have to invest the time to really learn and understand how to get the best out of them - and that applies for any modelling unit out there.  

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

I'd have to agree many of the presets are terrible. I'm not sure cheap headphones are the problem, the sound is equally awful on my HD25II's & AKG K702's. 

The sounds I've built from scratch are awesome, so no complaints from me & I've only used a fraction of what's available. 

The problem I have with tweaking the presets is that there are so many combinations of gear I'm not familiar with, that I'm not always sure where root of the problem lies. It's easier to start with an amp/cab combination & then add effects one at a time. That way it's easier to judge the impact each individual effect has in conjuction with the others. I get that people who are familiar & experienced with tweaking modelling effects, or maybe even own some actual gear being modelled won't need to do this. But they're probably looking at something a little higher up the food chain than the Pod go. 

• Upvote 1

@voxman55

You make good points but then there's a conceptual/marketing problem

The Go is a "budget" line of product, so Line6 should expect that the customers don't have high end gear to pull out good sounds out of the gate with the presets

So, maybe it's better to make sound that works well out of the box even with less expensive gear, something that the Pod GO can absolutely and magnificiently do

• Upvote 1

Seems like I'm always posting the same preset video lol    imho they're really not terrible, hell, listen to the above, they mostly sound pretty good; not something you'd be shocked at hearing on a record or radio.  It's really a combination using a fitting guitar and style for the preset, using it for what it does, etc.   They can sound a bit 'bland' or generic, anyway, they're just presets.  IMHO, they're not even really intended to be actively used.  Don't think anyone at L6 believes anyone will buy PGO and will try to use the unit with its presets...   PGO is really made for you to configure your own sounds.  

Easy way to 'fix':  Try each preset.  Just save the dozen of so presets you like or find decent to your user patch list, customize for your taste/guitar/style or for starting point of new patches, then never visit the presets ever again.

Re the part of your statement above that I've put in bold - utter and complete nonsense.

Oh snap!  The gauntlet has been thrown!!!   :p

I stand by my point

How many people has Henning Pauly's gear?

That's the problem with the presets...they don't show how much the device can do and it's an entry level device, in terms of pricing

The device can sound excellent even with cheap setups, but the presets fail in that, BUT the Go can sound like a monster even on a 300 bucks guitar

It's not a problem about presets sound, it's a problem about "who are we selling this device to, how can we portrait effectively the strength of this piece of gear on the majority of setting possible?"

@voxman55 perceived as an attack to the quality of the device, which it was not

The time needed to make the presets sound good is better invested in fiddling with the device and make much better presets because if you know how amp modelling works, you don't need to tweak the presets, you can do your own, if you have to learn from those presets, you better start from scratch

I had gone through 14 banks of user presets before starting to get the gist of it, I left what I had done in the first days, revisiting it, comparing it and understanding where I miseed, what I could improve, etc...

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Rick!

Why does it happen too many times that when a member asks a direct question, the replies go off-topic? :) :) :)

You have had (9) replies so far, and no answer has been given to your, IMHO, simple, straight forward question :) :) :)

I would like a list of Factory Presets as well!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/12/2021 at 11:26 AM, RICKMAYFIELD said:

I'M LOOKING for a list for the factory presets of the Pod Go, how they differ, i.e. Jazz, Rock, Blues and which factory presets stand for which sounds, (for example Street with no name = U2).  So which factory presets stand for example for Santana, ZZ-Top.... THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. If the list costs, no problem, contact info@rick-mayfield.de

11 minutes ago, Digiplay said:

Hi Rick!

Why does it happen too many times that when a member asks a direct question, the replies go off-topic? :) :) :)

You have had (9) replies so far, and no answer has been given to your, IMHO, simple, straight forward question :) :) :)

I would like a list of Factory Presets as well!

Well, in this case the reason for no informative answer is….. there is no such list, at least not that I’m aware of. No one has yet bothered to say that because it doesn’t seem helpful. 

You know what would be helpful? If you two got together, or one of you took it upon himself, to create such a list and then post it here so that the next time this question is asked I can point to your list. Yes, it would take some time and effort, which is why it hasn’t been done. Care to take it on?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Hi silverhead!

Three replies:

1) It took YOU to finally answer the question, and the truth is ALWAYS best, wouldn't you say? :)

2) I'll be glad to make a Preset List.

3) As you seem to get to the point VERY quickly (that's GOOD, btw!), will you answer my Thread about integrating my Iridium with the Pod Go?

Please :) :) :) :) :)

17 minutes ago, Digiplay said:

3) As you seem to get to the point VERY quickly (that's GOOD, btw!), will you answer my Thread about integrating my Iridium with the Pod Go?

….

2) That would be great. Bear in mind that the factory presets often change with each firmware update so perhaps you could update the list each time?

3) I saw that thread earlier today and concluded that I don’t have anything quick to offer on that so I moved on. I’ll take another look and decide if I have the time or knowledge to respond. If I don’t answer you know why….

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2021 at 5:07 PM, Digiplay said:

Hi silverhead!

Three replies:

1) It took YOU to finally answer the question, and the truth is ALWAYS best, wouldn't you say? :)

Please :) :) :) :) :)

I would be in to work on a shared excel or list to build the preset list and it's characterization mentioned in the 2)... If you want to do it in this "collaborative" way... please contact me at hernan93@gmail.com

Hernan

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 5:26 PM, RICKMAYFIELD said:

Did you get what you were looking for? I'm looking for the same thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also looking for a list. Shame that Line6 just expects us to know what they mean. 

I mean I understand that there maybe be copywrite issues, but can't they say "this preset is supposed to sound similar to"

a U2 one is obvious. a metallica one is obvious. a Green Day one is obvious, a Queen and an Aerosmith one are obvious, etc etc. 

But some of the others are just....well....I dont know. I feel like I am playing a trivia game when trying to sort out what song it is supposed to be. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmandradepod said:

I am also looking for a list. Shame that Line6 just expects us to know what they mean. 

I mean I understand that there maybe be copywrite issues, but can't they say "this preset is supposed to sound similar to"

a U2 one is obvious. a metallica one is obvious. a Green Day one is obvious, a Queen and an Aerosmith one are obvious, etc etc. 

But some of the others are just....well....I dont know. I feel like I am playing a trivia game when trying to sort out what song it is supposed to be. 

If you can't recognise a tone and its non-descript what possible difference does it make?  You either like a tone and think it might be good for certain things, or you dont. Either way it's irrelevant what it's called or what it's supposed to be. 

• Downvote 2

5 hours ago, BusterOtis said:

My Helix LT came with 32 presets. I did a factory reset and the two I liked are gone. Is it possible to get the original 32? And if so where? Thank you.

This is the Pod Go section. You need to go onto the Helix pages please.

• 1 month later...

I don't have a list like that, but these might help.

It's a reference list of Helix-based FX, amps, speakers and mics, but as far as I kow, they are the same in the Pod Go.

These list every effect, amp model, speaker and cab and microphone and tell you what they are models of. If you know the artist and equipment they use (that you want to emulate) you can replicate their sounds very effectively. The work is up to you.

Thanks to https://dshowmusic.com/line-6-helix-effect-models/

line-6-helix-amp-models.pdf line-6-helix-cabinet-models.pdf line-6-helix-effect-models.pdf line-6-helix-microphone-models.pdf

• Thanks 1

I love both my LIne 6 POD XT Live and my new Pod Go Wireless.  My only question/concern/problem is regarding the factory presets after 13C. Every preset after 13C is exactly the same settings as 13C except for the preset name. Did something not get set correctly when I first set it up?  Looking for a clue.  Thanks!

On 3/13/2022 at 1:01 AM, skyhook1985 said:

I love both my LIne 6 POD XT Live and my new Pod Go Wireless.  My only question/concern/problem is regarding the factory presets after 13C. Every preset after 13C is exactly the same settings as 13C except for the preset name. Did something not get set correctly when I first set it up?  Looking for a clue.  Thanks!

I suspect something went wrong possibly during a firmware upgrade. I'd suggest re-installing the latest v1.30 firmware. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/13/2021 at 11:08 AM, hernan93 said:

Hi team, has anyone found the factory preset names list as a text o .xlsx file?? 
Thank you in advance. 

KonaRock really helped with those lists. The next challenge is to find a list of popular setups used by our favorite artists. That would be spectacular for cover songs. I'll make my own presets for originals. But when Playing covers, getting the tone perfect would be great!

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/19/2022 at 4:08 PM, voxman55 said:

If you can't recognise a tone and its non-descript what possible difference does it make?  You either like a tone and think it might be good for certain things, or you dont. Either way it's irrelevant what it's called or what it's supposed to be. 

Um. Well. Ok. You're not wrong. But let's pretend I am in a cover band, and I want to use a preset that is already set up for a song that we are covering. Am I to go through each preset for each song to see which song the preset is supposed to represent. 

Consider all the possibilities before you leave comments like that. Clearly I can "play" with all the tones, but for cover band situations, and because Line 6 went through the trouble of MODELING THEM, it would nice to know what they mean..........

On 6/23/2022 at 5:04 AM, dmandradepod said:

Um. Well. Ok. You're not wrong. But let's pretend I am in a cover band, and I want to use a preset that is already set up for a song that we are covering. Am I to go through each preset for each song to see which song the preset is supposed to represent. 

Consider all the possibilities before you leave comments like that. Clearly I can "play" with all the tones, but for cover band situations, and because Line 6 went through the trouble of MODELING THEM, it would nice to know what they mean..........

I play in cover bands. I simply create a gig set and call the patch by the song name. Lets say I create a patch for rolling stones 'Brown Sugar' and I use the same patch for 'Honky Tonk Women'. 3 songs later  My Gig set of patches places each one in gig set order, and I'll duplicate a patch where it's used again - so when I get to HTW 3 songs later, I don't have to worry about going back to Brown Sugar, or remembering its the same patch - I just go to the next patch which is HTW.   It makes no difference if I've used a completely different amp model or effects set up to someone else's patch called Brown Sugar...if I think the tone I've created works, then that's all I need.   If someone created a patch for something else and I thought, hey, that would work well for a completely different song, then I'll use it and rename it.