Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-59 Bridge adjustment

I have some fret buzz around 15th fret on my high E string.  I raised the bridge on that side as much as it would go , but it seemed to stop, not going any higher.  I did not press too much in fear of stripping or breaking something.     You can see it did not raise very much.  Has anyone run into this before?

20210312_174121.thumb.jpg.f013e2ccfe38d41deb582fd652b6b222.jpg

17 hours ago, daveb63 said:

I have some fret buzz around 15th fret on my high E string.  I raised the bridge on that side as much as it would go , but it seemed to stop, not going any higher.  I did not press too much in fear of stripping or breaking something.     You can see it did not raise very much.  Has anyone run into this before?

20210312_174121.thumb.jpg.f013e2ccfe38d41deb582fd652b6b222.jpg

If you're buzzing at just one particular note at a certain fret and the rest of the neck plays fine, then raising the action is not the solution... it might diminish or get rid of the buzz, but it will also give you uncomfortably high action and make the entire instrument more difficult to play.

The symptom you're describing indicates that you have a high fret... and 99% of the time it's the next fret above the note that's buzzing. You need a set-up, and at the very least to address what's going on at and around the 16th fret... and if you've had the guitar a while and the frets are sufficiently beaten up, then there are probably issues elsewhere that you might not have noticed yet. You may need to level and re-crown the whole neck. On a long enough timeline, it's inevitable. Frets are like brake pads... they're a consumable part, and eventually they gotta go.

Take it to any competent local tech,  and don't let anybody tell you that it has to be some officially anointed Variax "expert"... this is a problem that eventually plagues every guitar on earth (unless you've got stainless frets, in which case it's much less likely but still possible), and it can be solved by anyone who knows what they're doing.

Thanks all for the replies.   I was able to raise the bridge on the high E string side, finally, and didn't strip anything.  It seem to break loose ,  what every stopped if from moving.  I was just nervous about applying too much pressure.  Now it plays great!