Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX FX as IR loader for torpedo captor (NON X version)

vertigo84

Hi all,

So I'd like to use my HX FX as an IR loader for the torpedo captor load box using the dry line out signal on the captor.

My current signal flow is as follows:

GUITAR -> HX FX main input -> some fx such as compressor and wah -> fx send 1->external overdrives->FX return 1->modulation, delays and reverbs->HX out to amp head. 

Now, the question is: can I use the second fx loop to have the dry line out from the captor+IR block BEFORE the modulations, delay etc? (i.e. after the first fx loop).

Would something like that work?

GUITAR -> HX FX main input -> some fx such as compressor and wah -> fx send 1->external overdrives->FX return 1->FX send 2->amp front (NO fx loop on amp)->captor line out->FX return 2->IR block->modulation, delays and reverbs->HX out to audio interface

Am I missing something?

Thank you in advance for your help.

• Like 1

I don't really understand why you would do the second effects send/return.  I prefer to have modulation, delays, reverbs after the IR unlike you would do with a real amp with a send/return.  I would just do the following:  

GUITAR -> HX FX main input -> wah -> compressor -> fx send 1-> external overdrives-> amp front -> captor line out->FX return 1->IR block->modulation, delays and reverbs->HX out to audio interface

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vertigo84 said:

GUITAR -> HX FX main input -> some fx such as compressor and wah -> fx send 1->external overdrives->FX return 1->FX send 2->amp front (NO fx loop on amp)->captor line out->FX return 2->IR block->modulation, delays and reverbs->HX out to audio interface

That works just fine....

Not that my opinion matters, but I do prefer my "mod/delay/reverbs" BEFORE the IR/Cabinet like a real amps effects loop would operate. I like the influence a speaker/IR has on those effect tails. The method you outline and @bobcoss also says he prefers is the studio approach to applying those effects. 

1 hour ago, bobcoss said:

I don't really understand why you would do the second effects send/return....

..... GUITAR -> HX FX main input -> wah -> compressor -> fx send 1-> external overdrives-> amp front -> captor line out->FX return 1->IR block->modulation, delays and reverbs->HX out to audio interface

This will certainly get rid of the need to run a 2nd loop, but it does "fix the position" of the overdrives, and it forces you to manually control those overdrives. Within a separate loop you get more control from within the HX Effects itself. Of course... it does add an extra DA/AD conversion - there is always a trade off. 

There are a couple people (including me) that have post about this and are trying to figure out how to make this work.  From what I've worked through, plugging the out of your helix into an interface while using this setup can cause some unexpected ringing and dry bleed of the raw amp sound.  I think the main culprit is that it is creating some ground loops by having the pedalboard, amp head (that is in a loop), and hx effect (or stomp) plugged into an input without a ground lift.  I would recommend trying to safely isolating the ground of the amp by using. an ebtech isolator or trying a di box with a ground lift before plugging into the interface.  It might not be an issue for you depending on your setup but it has proved an issue.