Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD GO - Standalone for Bass?

samcrabtree00

Trying to decide on the POD GO or HX Stomp. I do prefer the look of the POD GO but interested to hear other bass players experiences. 

I'll be using it ampless direct to FOH as a standalone rig. I'm looking for some decent clean tones and a few effects (Comp, Octave, Synth, Chorus etc). 

I'm hearing conflicting opinions about parallel routing...Some say its essential for bass playing - live or recording. Others say its not a necessity as you can EQ blend on the POD GO. 

Thanks in advance.

I use the GO for bass quite a lot and it works great for me. It replaced the POD HD Desktop I have been using for many years now. Parallel routing is really nice and something the HD does that the GO does NOT do. The HX Stomp can do this also and a dry path is nice to have...The GO is a single chain path. However, you can configure the AMP out to be a Main Out....This is a split and not parallel. If you are going ampless, you don't really need parallel imo. I use an FRFR monitor when I play live...I generally have the PA take DI off the Main out and run the AMP out to my monitor....Works a bit better for live than the HD as it did...What is really nice is that when I have done gigs with provided backline, I just change the AMP out to PRE/IR on the GO and run the AMP OUT into the provided bass amp...typically the power amp in or the FX return depending on what it is...In my patches I put the IR block at the end of the chain so that I get FX in both the AMP out and the MAIN and I don't need separate patches...The few times I needed to do some correction on the provided amp I just ran it into the front and used the tonestack to make the modest corrections...good luck.

2 hours ago, spaceatl said:

I use the GO for bass quite a lot and it works great for me. 

Any chance you could share your favorite bass presets? I'm trying to learn some bass and I'm struggling with bass sound tweaking, model choices and signal path.

I spin up my own...The SVT Nrm and SVT Brt are basically the only two I need 99% of the time. I do love using the Bassman here and there....I use a little distortion at times, octave higher to sim an 8 or 10 string and maybe a modulation here or there. I'm pretty simple when it comes to bass tones. Less is more when it comes to bass IMO.

I would suggest you start with the amp alone...take a patch and turn all of the FX off minus the AMP and cab....Start going thru the amps alone and you should hopefully find the ones that work best for you. Get that raw tone where you really like it and it super solid on it's own...As long as you bass has decent pickups and is setup decently you should be able to get some great tones out of it...After that, move on to the FX....Trying to do it all at once is chaotic and too complex...take it step by step...You will learn how the tweak the GO from the bottom up and find what really works for your situation.

20 hours ago, spaceatl said:

I use the GO for bass quite a lot and it works great for me. It replaced the POD HD Desktop I have been using for many years now. Parallel routing is really nice and something the HD does that the GO does NOT do. The HX Stomp can do this also and a dry path is nice to have...The GO is a single chain path. However, you can configure the AMP out to be a Main Out....This is a split and not parallel. If you are going ampless, you don't really need parallel imo. I use an FRFR monitor when I play live...I generally have the PA take DI off the Main out and run the AMP out to my monitor....Works a bit better for live than the HD as it did...What is really nice is that when I have done gigs with provided backline, I just change the AMP out to PRE/IR on the GO and run the AMP OUT into the provided bass amp...typically the power amp in or the FX return depending on what it is...In my patches I put the IR block at the end of the chain so that I get FX in both the AMP out and the MAIN and I don't need separate patches...The few times I needed to do some correction on the provided amp I just ran it into the front and used the tonestack to make the modest corrections...good luck.

Thanks for the info. 

I'm going to be using IEM so would you suggest just going direct to FOH from the main out as I won't have a monitor? 

9 hours ago, spaceatl said:

I spin up my own...The SVT Nrm and SVT Brt are basically the only two I need 99% of the time. I do love using the Bassman here and there....I use a little distortion at times, octave higher to sim an 8 or 10 string and maybe a modulation here or there. I'm pretty simple when it comes to bass tones. Less is more when it comes to bass IMO.

I would suggest you start with the amp alone...take a patch and turn all of the FX off minus the AMP and cab....Start going thru the amps alone and you should hopefully find the ones that work best for you. Get that raw tone where you really like it and it super solid on it's own...As long as you bass has decent pickups and is setup decently you should be able to get some great tones out of it...After that, move on to the FX....Trying to do it all at once is chaotic and too complex...take it step by step...You will learn how the tweak the GO from the bottom up and find what really works for your situation.

Thank you!

Any tips on compression when it comes to bass tones (settings, specific models, signal chain position)?

Are you using stock GO cabs or IRs?

I have a super cheap bass, not very playable, I have to fight it a bit (especially compared to my Ibanez RG, lol), so there's that :) However I want to learn some bass basics and I really appreciate all your tips.

22 hours ago, samcrabtree00 said:

Thanks for the info. 

I'm going to be using IEM so would you suggest just going direct to FOH from the main out as I won't have a monitor? 

Yes, the Main outs are actually balanced, so you could just get a TRS->XLR adapter....or use a direct box with a TS patch cord...either way will work fine. You could use the AMP Out to feed FOH also...just set the Global setting to Main if you do. That's an unbalanced out so you need a direct box if you use that one.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bartol said:

Thank you!

Any tips on compression when it comes to bass tones (settings, specific models, signal chain position)?

Are you using stock GO cabs or IRs?

I have a super cheap bass, not very playable, I have to fight it a bit (especially compared to my Ibanez RG, lol), so there's that :) However I want to learn some bass basics and I really appreciate all your tips.

I only use the stock cabs...The SVT cab is great IMO. Less is more...compression is just there for when you dig in IMO...I typically don't use a compressor in my patch. If I do, it's first in the chain and typically just getting the peaks off...More limiting that compression...but not much, just for the slaps and such. work on making your bas playable...maybe the truss rod is out of adjustment...get the action nice...use light strings. You don't need huge strings for great tone...good luck.

• 2 years later...
On 3/16/2021 at 9:22 PM, bartol said:

Any chance you could share your favorite bass presets? I'm trying to learn some bass and I'm struggling with bass sound tweaking, model choices and signal path.

Hello - apologies for dredging up an old post - but did you get yourself a good set of bass presets?