Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Controlling Powercab 112+ With Helix via AES/EBU?

zuurg

I just purchased a PC112+ to go with my Helix Floor and connected it using an AES/EBU cable (110ohm).  I can hear the audio for it but when I try to adjust speaker types and ring colour, nothing happens, it always just says <000> Flat and the ring stays white.  On the Powercab settings of HX Edit, I have the Remote set to Preset, Mode (preset) set to Speaker, and Seelct (preset) set to 1+2 Link.  Changing the Speaker Type [1+2](preset) or the Color [1+2] to something different does nothing on the PC112+.   The video on youtube 

showed that these things (the color at least) SHOULD change, but isn't.   :(   The firmware for the Helix and Powercab are both up to date.  Any thoughts?

27 minutes ago, rwandering said:

I just tested it on mine and it worked as I expected.  The preset name doesn't change (but says "edited").  The color does change.  

If literally nothing is changing, then I would suspect your cable. 

Mind sharing what the preset looks like?

First thing is make sure both have the latest firmware.

Unless you already updated, it's almost certain they don't have the current versions,. The Powercab doesn't seem to ship with firmware that is setup for L6/AES.

After that, I believe the screen not responding to external control is normal - the settings will still change.

16 hours ago, somebodyelse said:

First thing is make sure both have the latest firmware.

Unless you already updated, it's almost certain they don't have the current versions,. The Powercab doesn't seem to ship with firmware that is setup for L6/AES.

After that, I believe the screen not responding to external control is normal - the settings will still change.

Problem solved.  The firmware was up-to-date.  I decided to try a different cable just in case, and in doing so, realized that I had the PC+ end of the AES/EBU cable plugged into the XLR input and not the L6 input.

Is the <000> Flat label thing eventually going to be fixed in a future update or will it always just stay like that?

Thanks everyone!

Glad to hear it.

I doubt they will.  I can think of several "fixes", but not sure any of them really makes sense:

1. Add the ability to set the PC preset from the Helix.  The current capability is to have control over all parameters that would go into a preset, but not to set the preset itself. 
  2. Echo the Helix preset name on the PC
  3. Instead of displaying the last preset on the PC with <edit>, replace that with static text (e.g., "Helix" or "From Helix"). 

Other ideas?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

On 6/22/2021 at 3:52 AM, cwelling said:

Does anyone know if the AES/EBU cable also passes MIDI CC info?  

I'd like to avoid having to connect a 5 pin MIDI cable if I don't have to

I'm actually wondering this same thing.  I find it a little odd that you can't change the PC+ preset from the Helix but maybe there is a limitation that isn't obvious.  Not a complete deal breaker but just a bit confusing when I change the speaker type but it still shows the preset name I'm on which is a different speaker name.

Edited by markf1307
forgot a word