Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stereo Path Reverse Phase on one of two IR's

gerryCol

Hey There,
I Have two separate inputs going into my HX STOMP from my Acoustic from 2 two different preamps. I have the chain split into channel A and Channel B. I Have an IR on each channel. Can I reverse the phases on one of these IR paths? Would be a big help for my live gig. 
Thanks
Gerry C

4 hours ago, codamedia said:

Yes... in the merge block you can invert path B. 

Yes thank you I saw that, I hope I am doing it correctly. I was hoping to choose which channel (IR)  I was inverting the phase on. I guess I would just switch the IR's around from A to B and see what works right?
thank you

G

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CraigGT said:

What are you trying to achieve?

Hey,

I have two outputs coming out of my Takamine. One is for my K&K pure mini pickup and the other output is for my Piezo preamp. I setup a chain with 2 separate signal paths so I can eq and level each of the outputs. I have quite a few IR's I have purchased since buying the Stomp and want to try them out. So for example. I have an IR on each of the channels one is a Guild the other is in Martin HD 28. Just as I would tweak my % mix on these IR's to get the sound I want I was hoping I could just invert the phase on either of these I IR's as well. With a simple click. I was hoping there was a block I could put directly after each IR Block to that.

2 hours ago, CraigGT said:

If you're using separate paths for two inputs you can still create a split path for one, put the IR on the B path, turn A level right down  in the merge block (or a gain block) and assign a footswitch to the B polarity.

IRs.hlx 16.14 kB · 0 downloads

Hi,

I have an HX Stomp, the preset you sent would not open due to "too many parrallel dsp paths" . I'm sorry I'm not sure if I mentioned I had the Stomp.
G

There's a block in the volume category (the stereo one) called Stereo Width, if I recall correctly. It has a phase invert option.

That said, be careful with this approach. If you're taking two similar signals which are exactly in-phase and then flipping one of them, you're likely to get some significant cancellation once the signals recombine, whether that's in Helix or in the air from stereo monitors...

3 hours ago, CraigGT said:

Then I don't understand how you get two pickups in different paths?

OK,

I basically have one chain split Y A/B  -  A Left, B Right, I have an IR on The A  (Left)  - and another on B (Right). I can adjust the volume on either I and on on my board I can see I can turn one of the paths completely off or on with my volume I just wanted to reverse the phasing on any one of them.

3 hours ago, qwerty42 said:

There's a block in the volume category (the stereo one) called Stereo Width, if I recall correctly. It has a phase invert option.

That said, be careful with this approach. If you're taking two similar signals which are exactly in-phase and then flipping one of them, you're likely to get some significant cancellation once the signals recombine, whether that's in Helix or in the air from stereo monitors...

Thanks,

I never tried the "Stereo Width"  I will try it. Thank you!

Thanks I will try this, the Phase cancellation you are speaking of appears to be happening already which is why I want to try to reverse the phasing.

Imagine. I have two separate inputs, The left side is my Pure mini pickup through my K&K preamp. The Right side is my Takamine through the onboard preamp.

When I have my K&K pick sitting perfectly in the mix and  I raise the output level on my Takamine Preamp I can hear the  K&K ( A Left Side ) lowering in volume and then when they are even I have to raise the overall volume on my stereo output.  So after leveling one you would think by increasing the volume of the other starting from zero, the combined level of both signals would be louder, they are lower.

Edited by gerryCol
Adding info
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, gerryCol said:

Imagine. I have two separate inputs, The left side is my Pure mini pickup through my K&K preamp. The Right side is my Takamine through the onboard preamp.

Ah ok, I understand what you're trying to achieve now. Another thing to try, rather than a phase flip, is the Simple Delay. Put it on one of your paths, set mix to 100% and feedback to 0%, and then adjust the delay in milliseconds. If your issue is a slight phase shift (eg due to pickup location) rather than a phase flip, this can get them aligned in phase :)

Oh I see too now, you can still assign a footswitch to the B polarity in the Merge block but it sounds to me like the problem is more fundamental.

Do you get a similar effect if you plug both pickups into a mixing desk? 

On 3/17/2021 at 9:22 PM, qwerty42 said:

Ah ok, I understand what you're trying to achieve now. Another thing to try, rather than a phase flip, is the Simple Delay. Put it on one of your paths, set mix to 100% and feedback to 0%, and then adjust the delay in milliseconds. If your issue is a slight phase shift (eg due to pickup location) rather than a phase flip, this can get them aligned in phase :)

On 3/18/2021 at 3:48 AM, CraigGT said:

Oh I see too now, you can still assign a footswitch to the B polarity in the Merge block but it sounds to me like the problem is more fundamental.

Do you get a similar effect if you plug both pickups into a mixing desk? 

Hi there, Qwerty
The delay didn't change anything. I may have not been doing it right. But everything is the same.

As for your suggestion Craig, the issue is within the stomp, same thing happens to the signal through the board. I may have figured something out.  On the merge block we know  you can invert  the B channel only but I noticed on the Stereo Width Block I can invert the right Polarity. I can try them both ways If I switch the A nd B channels panning in the Merge Block from A -( left to right ) , and B -  right to left.) that may help.

Someone recommended I just swap the IR's from A to B,  B to A in the paths, etc, and invert the B phase., that will work but each Path has its own compression and EQ set for each IR so it's not a quick flick if you know what I mean. I have to  copy all the blocks from A to B and B to A .
Thanks I'll keep messing with it.