Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Firmware Updates: What Happens?

silverhead

I think it might be helpful to some if I provide my understanding of some details about what actually does and does not happen currently during a Helix firmware update, and some associated routine practices that one might want to establish. This post may hold nothing new or interesting for experienced users. Apologies in advance if I’m wasting your time. It’s intended for less experienced users who I hope will find it informative and helpful. It’s also lengthy and detailed so grab a coffee......

As of HX Edit version v3.01, available now, the Helix firmware update process has been significantly improved and further automated. This has not yet been evident, but we are promised that firmware v3.10 is coming soon. If you haven’t yet updated to HX Edit v3.01 you should do so now because it will make the pending firmware update simpler for you. If you’ve been frustrated by the update process in the past you might want to bookmark this post in anticipation of the new firmware.

NOTES:

A) The fact that I am posting this now does not mean that the firmware release is any more or less imminent than we already know it is, from Digital Igloo’s posts on The Gear Page. I don’t know exactly when it will be released any more than you do. But soon? Yes. That’s why I’m posting this now, so perhaps you can be better informed and prepared for a smooth update when the release happens.

B) This information is not from Line 6. As always it represents my own thoughts. This post does not provide firmware update procedures. The firmware update procedures published by Line 6 are sufficient and should be followed exactly as described. I believe nothing in this post is inconsistent with that. Rather, this post provides additional background for interested readers.

The HX Edit program now detects that a firmware and/or software update is available, prompts you to proceed with installation, and manages the process with a further series of prompts and actions. After the update process successfully completes your Helix environment is as follows:

• Your HX Edit program and your Helix firmware are both updated if required and are known to be in a mutually compatible state. This, imho, is the main improvement to the automated process - there should be no more problems due to incompatible versions of the firmware and the editor. This in itself should entice you to update to HX Edit v3.01 immediately.
  • You have a system backup file created as a mandatory part of the automated update process.
  • After the update you may notice a difference in the operations of your Helix device because the update process restored the Global Settings to their default values, which may be different from your pre-update setup. Details on how to handle this follow.
  • Other than the Global Settings, nothing else on your Helix device has been noticeably changed. All setlists, presets, IRs, and Favourites remain in place as they were. 
  • All presets have been rebuilt to ensure that their structure conforms to any new features introduced in the new firmware.

Following the update you can proceed to use your Helix as you have previously. However, there are some habits that I have developed to  take full advantage of the update and to minimize the potential for future issues. I do these things immediately after the firmware update as part of my routine practices. All of these are optional but I offer them for your consideration. 

1. Perform a factory reset (restore) on your device. This is recommended by Line 6 although it is not automatically done as part of the update. This wipes out all custom data on your device including non-factory setlists, IRs, and Favourites (not a problem since you have the backup file) and installs the firmware specific factory setlists associated with the new firmware - Factory 1, Factory 2, and Templates. These were not automatically installed as part of the update process (some would say this is a benefit!) and nor are they installed by fully restoring your backup file. Unless you do this manually you don’t have any new or modified presets in these factory setlists. For details on how to perform a factory reset on your specific Helix device see: 

Helix/Rack/LT/FX/Stomp Reset Procedures and Troubleshooting Tricks

2. Run HX Edit to restore your system backup. Choose to restore everything except the Factory 1, Factory 2, and Templates setlists. This restores your pre-update Global Settings as well as all your custom setlists, IRs, and Favourites. It retains the new factory setlists installed in the previous step.

3. Turn you Helix device off and then on again. This forces all presets to be rebuilt. Do this before you begin playing or editing.

Your Helix device is now loaded with all your previous settings and data, any new factory setlist updates, and with all presets rebuilt. You are ready to go with the new firmware. 

If you had any customized presets in setlists #1, #2, or #8 prior to the update these were replaced in Step 1 above. You still have copies of them in your system backup file and you can recover these if you wish. I suggest you export a copy of the firmware specific factory presets prior to repeating Step 2 above to install only setlists #1, #2, and/or #8.

A final note about rebuilding presets: every time your Helix is powered on it looks for presets that need rebuilding and does so before it hands operations over to the user. It’s the final step of the firmware update procedure but only because Line 6 forces a system restart at that point. Why does Line 6 do this? I assume there are good technical reasons and that rebuilding presets is important. I neither know nor care why it’s deemed to be so important (presumably the rebuild makes any necessary changes to preset file structures) but, to me at least, the very fact that it’s a mandatory part of the startup process means it’s important! 

This means that every time you import a setlist/preset that was last saved using previous firmware you know that - for perhaps mysterious reasons- the presets need to be rebuilt and that this is going to be done on the next startup. Why wait? As part of my routine operations I like to force this rebuilding to be done immediately. In other words, as my normal workflow involves routinely importing setlists and presets, I don’t begin editing any of them before I cycle the power on my Helix. This forces any required preset rebuilding to happen immediately, minimizing the likelihood of potential problems - however rare and mysterious they may be.

I hope this helps some folks when Helix firmware v 3.10 is released. Comments, corrections, and further suggestions are welcome.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Sound advice that will eliminate 99% of the problems found on these forums.

BTW HX Edit 3.01 will inform that updates to itself and firmware are available but won't let you update firmware until it has updated itself so eliminating the "where's my new toys?" posts

So please can everyone get on HX Edit 3.01 before the new firmware drops whenever that may be.

Line6 Updater should only be used as a last resort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, silverhead said:

I think it might be helpful to some if I provide my understanding of some details about what actually does and does not happen currently during a Helix firmware update, and some associated routine practices that one might want to establish. This post may hold nothing new or interesting for experienced users. Apologies in advance if I’m wasting your time. It’s intended for less experienced users who I hope will find it informative and helpful. It’s also lengthy and detailed so grab a coffee......

As of HX Edit version v3.01, available now, the Helix firmware update process has been significantly improved and further automated. This has not yet been evident, but we are promised that firmware v3.10 is coming soon. If you haven’t yet updated to HX Edit v3.01 you should do so now because it will make the pending firmware update simpler for you. If you’ve been frustrated by the update process in the past you might want to bookmark this post in anticipation of the new firmware.

NOTES:

A) The fact that I am posting this now does not mean that the firmware release is any more or less imminent than we already know it is, from Digital Igloo’s posts on The Gear Page. I don’t know exactly when it will be released any more than you do. But soon? Yes. That’s why I’m posting this now, so perhaps you can be better informed and prepared for a smooth update when the release happens.

B) This information is not from Line 6. As always it represents my own thoughts. This post does not provide firmware update procedures. The firmware update procedures published by Line 6 are sufficient and should be followed exactly as described. I believe nothing in this post is inconsistent with that. Rather, this post provides additional background for interested readers.

The HX Edit program now detects that a firmware and/or software update is available, prompts you to proceed with installation, and manages the process with a further series of prompts and actions. After the update process successfully completes your Helix environment is as follows:

• Your HX Edit program and your Helix firmware are both updated if required and are known to be in a mutually compatible state. This, imho, is the main improvement to the automated process - there should be no more problems due to incompatible versions of the firmware and the editor. This in itself should entice you to update to HX Edit v3.01 immediately.
  • You have a system backup file created as a mandatory part of the automated update process.
  • After the update you may notice a difference in the operations of your Helix device because the update process restored the Global Settings to their default values, which may be different from your pre-update setup. Details on how to handle this follow.
  • Other than the Global Settings, nothing else on your Helix device has been noticeably changed. All setlists, presets, IRs, and Favourites remain in place as they were. 
  • All presets have been rebuilt to ensure that their structure conforms to any new features introduced in the new firmware.

Following the update you can proceed to use your Helix as you have previously. However, there are some habits that I have developed to  take full advantage of the update and to minimize the potential for future issues. I do these things immediately after the firmware update as part of my routine practices. All of these are optional but I offer them for your consideration. 

1. Perform a factory reset (restore) on your device. This is recommended by Line 6 although it is not automatically done as part of the update. This wipes out all custom data on your device including non-factory setlists, IRs, and Favourites (not a problem since you have the backup file) and installs the firmware specific factory setlists associated with the new firmware - Factory 1, Factory 2, and Templates. These were not automatically installed as part of the update process (some would say this is a benefit!) and nor are they installed by fully restoring your backup file. Unless you do this manually you don’t have any new or modified presets in these factory setlists. For details on how to perform a factory reset on your specific Helix device see: 

Helix/Rack/LT/FX/Stomp Reset Procedures and Troubleshooting Tricks

2. Run HX Edit to restore your system backup. Choose to restore everything except the Factory 1, Factory 2, and Templates setlists. This restores your pre-update Global Settings as well as all your custom setlists, IRs, and Favourites. It retains the new factory setlists installed in the previous step.

3. Turn you Helix device off and then on again. This forces all presets to be rebuilt. Do this before you begin playing or editing.

Your Helix device is now loaded with all your previous settings and data, any new factory setlist updates, and with all presets rebuilt. You are ready to go with the new firmware. 

If you had any customized presets in setlists #1, #2, or #8 prior to the update these were replaced in Step 1 above. You still have copies of them in your system backup file and you can recover these if you wish. I suggest you export a copy of the firmware specific factory presets prior to repeating Step 2 above to install only setlists #1, #2, and/or #8.

A final note about rebuilding presets: every time your Helix is powered on it looks for presets that need rebuilding and does so before it hands operations over to the user. It’s the final step of the firmware update procedure but only because Line 6 forces a system restart at that point. Why does Line 6 do this? I assume there are good technical reasons and that rebuilding presets is important. I neither know nor care why it’s deemed to be so important (presumably the rebuild makes any necessary changes to preset file structures) but, to me at least, the very fact that it’s a mandatory part of the startup process means it’s important! 

This means that every time you import a setlist/preset that was last saved using previous firmware you know that - for perhaps mysterious reasons- the presets need to be rebuilt and that this is going to be done on the next startup. Why wait? As part of my routine operations I like to force this rebuilding to be done immediately. In other words, as my normal workflow involves routinely importing setlists and presets, I don’t begin editing any of them before I cycle the power on my Helix. This forces any required preset rebuilding to happen immediately, minimizing the likelihood of potential problems - however rare and mysterious they may be.

I hope this helps some folks when Helix firmware v 3.10 is released. Comments, corrections, and further suggestions are welcome.

Excellent advice and a great primer on how to safely and thoroughly execute an update! Now let's hope Line6 continues to perfect the process so most or all of these caveats and additional actions become unnecessary.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, silverhead said:

Comments

Finally - but, I’m willing to bet that the “update bricked my Helix” posts will continue. It’s the way of the world - best get ready for the onslaught.

Buckle up, we’re going in  ;-)

• Haha 1