Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ampilifi 150 Vibration Issues

Carlos_Danger

Yes it is good that they are looking into this issue. I have my new amp arriving on Monday which I already know has an issue. I have returned two amps and the second amp was much worse than the previous one. The store wanted the second amp back to test before they sent me out a new one ( not sure if they believed me or not ) think they might of thought I was too fusy. I have waited a week for a response and today I was given an option of my money back, replacement or an exchange for another product. They told me they tested three amps and found the same issue with all three when you hit that certain volume it kicks in. I thought about exchanging for the hd500x as I really liked the look of this product in the first place but unfortunately I have had to settle for a replacement as I feel since I bought an ipad specifically for use with the Amplifi I would have wasted more money. I guess I will just have to grin and bare it. Shame because the hd500x looks better and better every time I do more research on it. Nevermind I will give Line6 the serial number of the amp as soon as I get it.

FIXED

I found the source of my problem. I took off the back panel and noticed that the metal wrap around grill is vibrating against the frame under the back plate. I fixed most of the vibration by jamming pics between the frame and the edges of the grill.

The long-term fix will be to install adhesive gasket tape under the edge of the grill. I can either wedge the gasket under the grill or completely disassemble the amp. I know complete disassembly is the proper way, but cracking this puzzle box gives me nightmares. I am afraid of causing more problems.

***Adding on for visibility purposes***

We are aware of the reports of the AMPLIFi’s back panel vibrating under certain conditions. Although we have not found this to be the experience of all who use the amp, we take the reports seriously and are actively working on diagnosing the root cause and finding a solution. We will update the community as pertinent information is made available to us.

We apologize to those who’ve had this experience, and we ask that you remain patient with us as we define and implement the solution.

Line 6 Customer Support

FIXED

I found the source of my problem. I took off the back panel and noticed that the metal wrap around grill is vibrating against the frame under the back plate. I fixed most of the vibration by jamming pics between the frame and the edges of the grill.

The long-term fix will be to install adhesive gasket tape under the edge of the grill. I can either wedge the gasket under the grill or completely disassemble the amp. I now complete disassembly is the proper way, but cracking this puzzle box gives me nightmares. I am afraid of causing more problems.

Line 6 should have picked up these issues before they released the amp. Customers should not have to resort to cracking open the amp to fix the problem.

Maybe, but i doubt it's a case of woulda coulda shoulda. Mine is fine.

Great your amp is fine, which is how it should be. I have had two amps which were not and Carlos and archtopeddy are another example.....how many more people will notice this defect when they crank up their amp up to the required level for this very irritating situation to happen. Unfortunately I have another amp on the way which due to the retailer testing I already know has the same issue but they tested three amps with all of them having the same outcome. Since I have bought an ipad for this amp I feel obliged to stick with it so I requested they send me another one. Overall it might be just a small percentage of amps that have this issue but it's the same for all of us who are investing our hard earned money into this piece of equipment, it's not acceptable. Under no circumstances should the customer feel the need to fix or modify to make a product work/ acceptable. How many times can you send a piece of equipment back to a store before you start feeling a nuisance.

I never agree with folks who know what SHOULD have happened. My world doesn't work that way. There is a way, and there is a way. So you think their testing procedure is lacking because a problem cropped up after shipping. The only fact you have is that some make this noise. You have no facts related to their QC, other than this problem "squeaked"  through.

I never agree with folks who know what SHOULD have happened. My world doesn't work that way. There is a way, and there is a way. So you think their testing procedure is lacking because a problem cropped up after shipping. The only fact you have is that some make this noise. You have no facts related to their QC, other than this problem "squeaked"  through.[/

Maybe the problem did squeak through that's why I said a small percentage might be affected, but that is no excuse for someone expecting less quality product than the next person. You say your amp has no issues we'll why shouldn't I or every one else spending the exact same amount of money expect the same quality in the product as you have received. You and obviously a large number of people have got perfectly good working amps. The QC is and will be in the future as always fantastic but there is obviously a batch out there not up to standard.

I don't believe this is an issue of the one that "squeaked through". My 150 didn't rattle out of the box, but once it did it got worse. Before I fixed it, the amp was rattling at 30%. When I was considering returning it, the other 150 at a different GC also rattled.

Looks like a design flaw to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! It is a little disconcerting and a bit of deja vu reading this.  We have a thread on this rattling problem over in the part of the forum for the StageScape speakers.  The L2M and L2T speakers have a bad rattle.  We also don't understand how such a blatant problem is allowed off the production line and sold in the store. 

I recognize that almost any mass produced product is going to have a few defective items come out of the factory. I also appreciate charleyg's point about the potential for it to be a shipping problem.  Sometimes you get a repeated problem related to shipping, particularly when the packing is inadequate.  I question whether that is the issue here however.  I know that my StageScape speakers were packed quite well and the boxes appeared undamaged.  This problem with the speaker rattling issues seems more likely related to flawed construction and inadequate QA. This is also starting to look like a larger pattern in their production of items that include speakers. Line6 appears to have some kind of a systemic problem both with their production line and Quality Assurance (QA) procedures on "speakered" products. 

My suggestion to Line6, overhaul your QA procedures for products with speakers in them.  This seems to be where Line6 is having difficulty.  QA is the last line of defense before a product hits the local music shop.  If you check products thoroughly and empower your QA department to disallow them from being sold when they are defective, issues like this tend to disappear or at least occur infrequently.

Bring in some consultants, make some changes, change your manufacturer if need be, beef up your QA process, fire some executives if you have to, but fix this.  It is compromising your brand.  Most of these rattling issues should be detected in development or QA and should never be reaching the store shelves.  Line6, we expect to see a few issues but don't you agree this is starting to look like a systemic problem?  I don't know, maybe it is still too early and too few cases to determine if this rattling issue is widespread; but... this rattling speaker issue sounds eerily reminiscent of the very similar problem with the StageScape speakers. Anyway I hope Line6 jumps all over this. 

Lastly, we consumers understand the rush to market and the pressure up and down the corporate chain to get a product out before the other guy.  There are many product issues that get solved in software or firmware upgrades and that is to be expected.  Most of us can demonstrate some measure of patience regarding these.  Particularly as Line6 has a pretty good record of providing free updates that significantly improve their product line.  However, this speaker rattling issue is a different kind of animal.  Now the consumer is dealing with a product that is broken, and for many of us, unusable, until the rattle is eliminated. Rattling is a deal breaker and unacceptable in any amplifier or speaker!

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Line6 is aware of the vibration issues and a fix is "imminent"

At this point i'd advise against attempting any home grown fixes.

I can't define "imminent" and do not know any details of the forthcoming fix...

just passing on what i do know.. and that's it.

has anyone do anything to fix this buzzing issue? Is this amp easy to open and isolate the buzzing parts?