Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 300 distorting

Hi all, new member here.

I've had my Variax 300 since new, but it hasn't really seen a massive amount of play time - I'm primarily a bassist who gets an itch every now and again.

I got it out to have a noodle the other day and it sounded better than I remembered. For 5 minutes. Then the signal distorted no matter which model I was on. I unplugged and re-plugged in the jack cable and the same thing happened. And kept happening until I gave up.

I'm using the original cable, power supply and connector box. From there into a known working jack cable, into an EVO 4 audio interface and then listening via direct monitoring.

Has anyone else had an issue like this?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

For troubleshooting, remove the XPS power supply from the chain, and install a battery in the back of the guitar to power it. 

You'll just need the one cable between the guitar and interface. 

If it cleans up - it was the power supply.  

If the results are the same, then it's either the guitar, cable or interface and further troubleshooting is necessary.