Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Finally Updated from 1.06.5 - Exp Pedal Issue

RitchieM

So, after all this time I have FINALLY updated my Helix from v1.06.5, brought my Setlist back in, but the Expression pedal doesn’t change volume or wah on my presets?? Clicking the toe switches between EXP 1 / EXP 2, the % changes, the wah engages, but it doesn’t sweep. Have I missed a simple trick from 4 years ago??? 

also, when I turn it on, it keeps saying “Rebuilding Presets”, is this normal??

I have searched, found v2.8 bugs, but can’t seem to find anything. 

btw, have been using Native, so it’s not all a shock as to the new stuff!! Hahaha. But this little bit has baffled me. 

thank you!

Ritchie

8 hours ago, RitchieM said:

So, after all this time I have FINALLY updated my Helix from v1.06.5, brought my Setlist back in, but the Expression pedal doesn’t change volume or wah on my presets?? Clicking the toe switches between EXP 1 / EXP 2, the % changes, the wah engages, but it doesn’t sweep. Have I missed a simple trick from 4 years ago??? 

also, when I turn it on, it keeps saying “Rebuilding Presets”, is this normal??

I have searched, found v2.8 bugs, but can’t seem to find anything. 

btw, have been using Native, so it’s not all a shock as to the new stuff!! Hahaha. But this little bit has baffled me. 

thank you!

Ritchie

It is totally normal after an update for the presets to rebuild. You should restart the Helix and let that complete. They will only rebuild once with some exceptions. If you copy any of them to other preset locations or import backups, setlists, or presets, those will rebuild upon the next restart as well. Not all of your presets will rebuild however as they do after a firmware update. Until the rebuilds are complete don't bother expecting normal operation. 

Not sure what is going on with your wah operation unless you are not fully engaging the toe switch or unless you have presets where you changed the wah's default assignment to something other than 'EXP 1'. Hopefully you made a backup before upgrading and you can try restoring that to see if normal operation is restored. Also be aware that your global settings have been set to their defaults so you probably want to review them. If you had for example Global Settings --> 'EXP Pedals' -->  'EXP1 Pedal Position' and 'EXP 2 Pedal Position' = "Global" before in your global settings you should restore that setting. Global settings from your last firmware can also can be restored from a backup.

Not sure why you are looking at 2.8 bugs. Maybe you are referring to the known issue with the expression pedal reported in the 2.8.2 release notes. If you updated hopefully you are on HX Edit 3.01, the 3.01.0 firmware, and Native 3.01.   Btw, to each their own but I would recommend not waiting so long in between updates in the future. You have missed out on an incredible number of improvements, new pedals, amps, features and bugfixes. On the plus side this dramatic an upgrade should be like getting a brand new and improved 2nd Gen Helix.

You can always try a backup, global reset, and restore if the problems continue. If that doesn't work I might try updating the firmware again. Btw, does this problem with the wah occur only with your presets from your prior firmware or does it happen with the new firmware's Factory presets and/or new presets you create?

• Upvote 1

Hi, thanks for the reply. 

I restarted about 5 times and each time it was doing the rebuild, that’s why I was unsure if it was normal operation or not. I didn’t upgrade because I was a little worried about losing my tones, even though I backed them up, and then things kind of got away from me a little! Hahaha. As I say, I use Native, I just only use Floor for plying live, and my tones were always fixed for that. 

i didn’t think of checking existing presets, will do that tonight, but my initial thing was why it didn’t just work. The pedals are engaging and seeming to “work”, it’s like they have been disconnected from the assignments. I will check again. As I said, wasn’t sure if it was a bug, and a search of EXP bugs only seemed to bring up the 2.8 era issue. 

In terms of “backup”, the version of the software I was using, I couldn’t find that option weirdly enough (it was an EARLY v1), but did export tones and Setlists. Will have to investigate further. 

12 hours ago, RitchieM said:

Hi, thanks for the reply. 

I restarted about 5 times and each time it was doing the rebuild, that’s why I was unsure if it was normal operation or not. I didn’t upgrade because I was a little worried about losing my tones, even though I backed them up, and then things kind of got away from me a little! Hahaha. As I say, I use Native, I just only use Floor for plying live, and my tones were always fixed for that. 

i didn’t think of checking existing presets, will do that tonight, but my initial thing was why it didn’t just work. The pedals are engaging and seeming to “work”, it’s like they have been disconnected from the assignments. I will check again. As I said, wasn’t sure if it was a bug, and a search of EXP bugs only seemed to bring up the 2.8 era issue. 

In terms of “backup”, the version of the software I was using, I couldn’t find that option weirdly enough (it was an EARLY v1), but did export tones and Setlists. Will have to investigate further. 

As long as you do backups/exports you should not have to worry about losing your presets. The early versions of the editor did not include the full "Create Backup" option that exists now under HX Edit's 'File' selection on the menu. "Bundle" backups did come along at some point in the early versions of the editor. Good on ya for backing up your setlists and presets though.  With 'Create Backup; and 'Restore from Backup' you will now have full and more extensive backup options that along with your setlists will also include your global settings as well as 'Favorites'(a recent feature addition you may find quite useful).

If wah assignment is working properly with either factory or newly created presets you can compare your old presets assignments and probably figure out what is wrong. Just restoring your old presets though might be easier and faster if it fixes the issue.

Make sure you have uninstalled the old version of the editor, downloaded and installed the latest version of HX Edit 3.0.1 and that the firmware version matches it. You can check that by looking at the top and bottom of HX Edit's 'Help' --> 'About HX Edit' screen.

Roughly how many presets are rebuilding each time you restart? Are they always the same ones?  If so, I would back them up with the latest version of HX Edit and try restoring them to force a final rebuild. If you are getting a rebuild after five restarts as you indicated you are either moving/copying/importing presets each time you bring up the Helix or something is wrong, especially if all your presets are rebuilding. If the rebuilds persist I would start with a global reset and restore. If that does not work move on to another backup and repeating the firmware update and restore.

Btw, make sure you export a bundle in Native before you update it as well if you have not already.

So, tried it, and the Stomp assignments work, but on mine AND the new presets, EXP1 / 2 are not assigned. Toe switches modes fine, but that’s it. Manually assigning to Volume or Wah and it’s all gravy, so going to rebuild / reset / reinstall. If I open an empty preset though and insert a volume or wah block, assignment to the pedal is correct. 

also, the presets keep rebuilding, like all Factory 1, 2 and mine!

1 hour ago, RitchieM said:

So, tried it, and the Stomp assignments work, but on mine AND the new presets, EXP1 / 2 are not assigned. Toe switches modes fine, but that’s it. Manually assigning to Volume or Wah and it’s all gravy, so going to rebuild / reset / reinstall. If I open an empty preset though and insert a volume or wah block, assignment to the pedal is correct. 

also, the presets keep rebuilding, like all Factory 1, 2 and mine!

Yep, sounds like a global reset and/or another run at the firmware update are in order. Rebuilding all presets every time the device is restarted is definitely not normal and requires remedial action.