Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mac OS Big Sur

stillgrinning

Found the comments regarding the Line 6 incompatibility with Big Sur.

This is a bit of a blow if one is already running Big Sur prior to getting a Line 6 unit.

How long are we going to have to wait until we can install and then reach the full potential of the Products?

Is there a compatible product that will work on a Mac with OS Big Sur for editing Patches etc?

MacOS 11 Compatibility with Line 6 Software

Line6Tony

By Line6Tony 
09/11/2020

Apple® released their new operating system, macOS® 11 Big Sur, today.

Currently, Line 6 software products are not compatible with macOS 11 Big Sur.

We recommend that you wait until Line 6 software product compatibility with macOS 11 is announced before updating to the new operating system. Compatibility is currently being tested and will be ensured in upcoming software updates. 

To prevent macOS from automatically updating, uncheck the “Install macOS updates” option in System Preferences > Software Update > Advanced.

Please watch this space for more information regarding support for macOS 11.

The Line 6 Support Team

• Upvote 1

First, I'm not trying to offend anyone. Apple deserves at least half the blame for this. They break all kinds of software with every release and they don't seem to care much about it. Speaking from experience, it puts a lot of pressure on resources when you have to update every piece of software you develop for a new OS. I image Line6 developers are busy attempting to meet timelines for the next firmware release of every product without that getting in the way.

I understand well how much hard it is to update software, especially when there’s a big change as this. But it’s almost one year science Apple released betas for developers. One thing is that there’s a difference of attitude , it seems me, between software vendors or interface makers as Abelton or Presonus and instrument builders as Line6 or Zoom. Formers are already done even for M1 but laters are still working for Big Sur. 
This difference may come from that of understanding of the gravity of the situation. Apple announced the shift to Apple silicon from Intel in 2 years. That is to say no Intel Mac will be supported in 5 years.

We must understand that we are at a big turning point. Turning point from energy consuming Intel chips to less consuming and more effective AMD based chips as M1, A12 or Ryzen.

Adapting to this shift is beneficial for vendors too. Softwares you write for MacOS will be compatible with iOS or even with AMD based Windows.

I received my HX Effects yesterday. The software is constantly shutting down (I have a Mac Pro with OS 11.2.3 (Big Sur). It's unusable this way! Please, fix this as soon as possible Line6! Thank you.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Toftebass said:

What a disappointment!... Connected my new Helix LT to my Mac for making some nice sounds a what's happening...

There is no software matching my Mac OS!!.... :(

Are there some news in this topic?? 

HX Edit, which is basically the only piece of software you need for the LT, is definitely compatible with Big Sur. Try leaving the third pulldown blank in the downloads widget while searching. Just download and install the Mac version that comes up in the search.

I bought a Variax Shuriken plus Helix floor.  Bought Helix native.  Bought Logic Pro to play with Helix native only to find now that its incompatible with Big Sur. 

That's one expensive mistake...ouch!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jochiro said:

I bought a Variax Shuriken plus Helix floor.  Bought Helix native.  Bought Logic Pro to play with Helix native only to find now that its incompatible with Big Sur. 

That's one expensive mistake...ouch!

It’s only a matter of time before it is completely compatible. Native will work on Big Sur currently. It’s just that the interface can be laggy. It should be fixed soon.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Altres said:

Hi, just plugged my Pod XT Live into my Mac for some much needed updates etc and discovered it no longer works? Any timescale on this? I have a gig next week. 

Most likely never. Monkey is a 32-bit app, and isn’t really used for the newer products, so I just don’t see them updating it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have struggled with this too. Just bought a second hand Pod HD 400. Quickly worked out that it wasn’t going to work with Big Sur, but fortunately I still had Mojave on an external drive and I was able to install the Monkey and the editor 2.04. But nothing worked, even after realising that I had to enable the extension in the Privacy control panel. I couldn’t save anything. Some presets would save bits of editing, and sometimes nothing. I tried the hardware route and click on the “Save” button on the Pod, still not working. So I tried again with a very old drive with High Sierra installed (this was the OS that came with my Mac) and still not working.

In the end, I worked it out: DO NOT USE 2.04 with Mojave, even though it is listed as compatible. Everything works perfectly with 2.03.

Line 6, really?

JC, another pissed off customer who lost hours of his time trying to make the damned thing work!

20 hours ago, libourne said:

I have struggled with this too. Just bought a second hand Pod HD 400. Quickly worked out that it wasn’t going to work with Big Sur, but fortunately I still had Mojave on an external drive and I was able to install the Monkey and the editor 2.04. But nothing worked, even after realising that I had to enable the extension in the Privacy control panel. I couldn’t save anything. Some presets would save bits of editing, and sometimes nothing. I tried the hardware route and click on the “Save” button on the Pod, still not working. So I tried again with a very old drive with High Sierra installed (this was the OS that came with my Mac) and still not working.

In the end, I worked it out: DO NOT USE 2.04 with Mojave, even though it is listed as compatible. Everything works perfectly with 2.03.

Line 6, really?

JC, another pissed off customer who lost hours of his time trying to make the damned thing work!

Are you really a Line 6 customer, though, if you bought a used modeler that was discontinued like 10 years ago? It’s not like you paid Line 6 directly for anything.

Anyway, I suspect Line 6 will get the drivers squared away soon.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...