Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ext Amp control on Helix floor

ernsttore

After a second thought I realized that I don’t have to switch channels on both amps

since I already have one preamp in the effect loop,  i just use the other one as a power-amp

for the stereo setup, of course it could be nice to have the second amp in the loop too for some different eq/gain settings, it’s not a must but could absolutely give me some different sound, i will use the same ground on both and make a splitter cable and see if that will work....

49 minutes ago, ernsttore said:

After a second thought I realized that I don’t have to switch channels on both amps

since I already have one preamp in the effect loop,  i just use the other one as a power-amp

for the stereo setup, of course it could be nice to have the second amp in the loop too for some different eq/gain settings, it’s not a must but could absolutely give me some different sound, i will use the same ground on both and make a splitter cable and see if that will work....

If you're going to use the preamp in the second amp with different settings, wouldn't it make more sense to control their channel selection separately? 

On 3/23/2021 at 9:05 PM, zappazapper said:

If you're going to use the preamp in the second amp with different settings, wouldn't it make more sense to control their channel selection separately? 

Yes it would, but not sure if the Ext amp out on Helix can switch both amp channels at the same time, if that’s possible i can use both preamps on separate paths with different settings...

42 minutes ago, ernsttore said:

Yes it would, but not sure if the Ext amp out on Helix can switch both amp channels at the same time, if that’s possible i can use both preamps on separate paths with different settings...

Having each amp controlled by a separate Ext Amp doesn't preclude you from being able to switch both amps' channels simultaneously, just like you can control multiple blocks simultaneously. There's a couple ways you could do it - 

• if you wanted to do it per-Preset, you would use Command Center. If you wanted both amps on clean channel, you leave the Instant Commands blank. If you wanted both amps on dirty, you would assign Instant 1 to ExtAmp 1 and Instant 2 to ExtAmp 2
  • if you wanted to do it using Snapshots, you probably have to assign each ExtAmp to a separate Stomp Footswitch, since you can't assign multiple ExtAmps to a single footswitch or Instant the same way you can with block bypass or control assign. Once you have the Ext Amps assigned to the footswitches, you use Snapshots to change the state of both footswitches

I just think it's an easier, more reliable way to do it compared to having to have the amps on a common ground and all that business, because you never know what kind of disastrous situation you're going to walk into in terms of on-stage power when you go to play a gig. You'd be dependent on something that you can't really control. At least the way I described would work no matter what the venue's power is like.

On 3/25/2021 at 6:48 PM, zappazapper said:

Having each amp controlled by a separate Ext Amp doesn't preclude you from being able to switch both amps' channels simultaneously, just like you can control multiple blocks simultaneously. There's a couple ways you could do it - 

• if you wanted to do it per-Preset, you would use Command Center. If you wanted both amps on clean channel, you leave the Instant Commands blank. If you wanted both amps on dirty, you would assign Instant 1 to ExtAmp 1 and Instant 2 to ExtAmp 2
  • if you wanted to do it using Snapshots, you probably have to assign each ExtAmp to a separate Stomp Footswitch, since you can't assign multiple ExtAmps to a single footswitch or Instant the same way you can with block bypass or control assign. Once you have the Ext Amps assigned to the footswitches, you use Snapshots to change the state of both footswitches

I just think it's an easier, more reliable way to do it compared to having to have the amps on a common ground and all that business, because you never know what kind of disastrous situation you're going to walk into in terms of on-stage power when you go to play a gig. You'd be dependent on something that you can't really control. At least the way I described would work no matter what the venue's power is like.

Thanks for this info and I want it to switch per-preset, but how to physical connect to both amps since Helix only have one Ext amp output for channel switching, what do i not understand.....

I believe these amps have “short to sleeve” for channel switching...

23 hours ago, ernsttore said:

Thanks for this info and I want it to switch per-preset, but how to physical connect to both amps since Helix only have one Ext amp output for channel switching, what do i not understand.....

I believe these amps have “short to sleeve” for channel switching...

Helix Floor manual -

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a4112b165fb6a3fe41663/application/pdf/Helix 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev E - English .pdf

From page 9 - 

"18. EXT AMP 1/2 Connect to your traditional guitar amp to switch its channels or turn its reverb on and off. Use a TRS cable for dual operation (1=tip, 2=ring)."

In order to switch two amps, you need a TRS to dual TS splitter.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, zappazapper said:

Helix Floor manual -

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a4112b165fb6a3fe41663/application/pdf/Helix 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev E - English .pdf

From page 9 - 

"18. EXT AMP 1/2 Connect to your traditional guitar amp to switch its channels or turn its reverb on and off. Use a TRS cable for dual operation (1=tip, 2=ring)."

In order to switch two amps, you need a TRS to dual TS splitter.

Awesome, think this is going to be very interesting...

Many thanks again...