Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Helix Question Before i pull the trigger

Bandr1002

So I am in the market for a great Multi Effects board and the Helix is where I am thinking (heavily).

My Setup is as follows...

Fender Strat into the Boss ME-80, into the Boss RC500, into the Fender Mustang 1 v ii.

If I replace the ME-80 with the Helix will I be able to go to the RC500 and into the amp as I am used too?  If so will I still be able to use the AMP and CAB add ons if i go to the front of the amp, running the amp on a pure clean tone?  how would i go about achieving this without the use of always having to wear headphones? 

I know I am probably buying more than a guy in a bedroom needs, but I would rather go big with the effects than spend more money over time building with trial and error, I do plan on playing on stage at church through the PA eventually.....

Thanks for helping a total NEWB 

Absolutely you can place the RC500 after the Helix or you may want to place it in the Helix's FX loop for more control over what gets looped. Cabs/amps will work either way. You will definitely get more authentic sounding emulations of amps/cabs in 4CM but I don't believe your Mustang has an FX loop(?).  To be frank that amp is a bit limited for what the Helix is capable of.  You may want to turn off the cab and even the amp emulations when plugged in direct to the Mustang. An inexpensive and small FRFR like the Headrush FRFR-108 might be worth consideration and will definitely make it easier to preview presets for your church setup. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

To be frank that amp is a bit limited for what the Helix is capable of.  

I agree. The Helix is a significant monetary investment and you're not going to get your money's worth by using that amp. Even your ME-80 is more powerful than your amp is capable of really doing justice.

I'd upgrade your amp first. If you want to go fully down the modeling route, consider an FRFR like @HonestOpinion said, or a Powercab, which has built-in speaker modeling (different than cab/mic modeling) as well as being an FRFR. Once you have an appropriate amplification system, then you'll get more bang for your buck in buying a Helix. 

• Upvote 1

I've got the Fender Mustang IV v2 and Fender Mustang III v2, which I kept even after I got a Helix Floor several years ago. I do not think that your Fender Mustang I V2 has a line in. Nonetheless, as it is a v2, it may have the Studio Preamp Preset. If it does, that Preset bypasses all the DSP (tone stack and speaker cab emulation) in the Mustang amp. It has been years since I looked at the feature set of the Mustang 1 v2 amp, so if that Studio Preamp Preset is not available, then there may be no way to disable the amp modeling and speaker cab modeling in your Mustang. Thus, if you were to use any Helix Presets containing amp blocks or cab blocks, those would be routed into the front end of your Mustang 1 and the Mustang would then layer it's selected Preset's amp and cab modeling too. The result may not be what you want. On the other hand, if it sounds good then go with it.

Typically, when I run my Helix with either of my Mustang Amps (which I do not often do anymore, as I far more frequently use FRFR PA Speakers or Studio Monitors) I disable the Mustang's DSP and Spkr cab modeling, either, by using the Studio Cab Preset (mentioned above), or, simply by routing Helix's output to the Mustang's Line In or Aux In jacks. In the latter case, the Aux In jack automatically bypasses the Mustang's entire DSP modeling. But, again, I do not recollect if the Mustang I v2 offers an Aux In jack. If it does, simply use a 1/4" TRS from Helix's Headphone Output to a 1/8" TRS to the Mustang's Aux In, or, a 1/4" TS L and 1/4" TS R from Helix's L&R outputs to a 1/8" TRS to Mustang's Aux In. All of these cables are inexpensive and readily available, for instance, via Amazon. 

Overall, the Helix gear is phenomenal! I concur that it will blow away any of the modeling the Fender Mustang's offer. However, I kept mine to use as powered cabs and they do serve that purpose, as well as being backups should the Helix gear fail.

Hope this all helps in your considering your options.  

• Upvote 1

Helix can output line or instrument level through the 1/4" outputs. The Boss RC500 might be able to take both levels, so you might want to check on which one it wants or if there's an appropriate setting for one or the other. 

Running an Amp/Cab simulation through a physical amp/cab can give you very mixed results and will not be a great way to build presets meant for a full range PA system. You can however find a suitable combination for that specific combo amp/speaker you have and bring that for amplification without relying on plugging direct to the console.

If you want to play through the front of a clean amp you'll need presets specifically built for that.

If you want to play though a full range sound reinforcement system, you'll need presets specifically built for that.

If you want to play though headphones, you'll need presets specifically built for that.

Building presets on one playback system and expecting results to translate to another system in another room = Hopeless

Learning how to use your ears along with an EQ as a means of differentiating between deficiencies of playback systems = Priceless

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Bandr1002 said:

Thank you! All for replies!!!! 

so if I get powercab 112 ( not plus) can I hook Boss RC500 to it? Would I be forced to use midi? 

Powercab 112 has no MIDI.

• Upvote 2