Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp + Kingsley Constable Setup Help

smudge_lad

Hi all,

I’m sure there’s probably something similar been covered here before, but I can’t find anything when I’ve tried to search.

I’m currently running my pedalboard into my HX Stomp, which then does a stereo split to my Bad Cat and SD170. I’m using an amp block on the path that goes to my SD170, but I’ve recently received a Kingsley Constable that I want to use instead of the amp block. 

I’m using the Mono input on the Stomp, and then using the Mono output to the SD170, and the Aux send output into my Bad Cat.

Is there any way that I can reconfigure things to allow me to run the Constable into the Stomp then out to the SD170, without also going out to the Bad Cat?

Ideally, I want to have a reverb and delay AFTER the Constable which is why I can’t just run the HX Stomp > Constable

I’m totally game for adding extra switchers or ABY box etc if need be

Thanks in advance

Keir

Thanks for this, will download and have a look tomorrow. 

I did think that adding the Constable to a loop would be the way, but how do I connect this and still connect my amps in stereo? I was led to believe that I had to use the aux send on the side of the Stomp to connect to my Bad Cat, which then ruled out putting a pedal in the loop?

1/4" TRS to Dual TS - Tip (L) to KC, KC back to L/Mono Return, Ring (R) to SD.

OR

TS from SEND to KC, TS back to L/Mono Return

SPLIT PAN A = Left 100; PAN B = Right 100

MIXER PAN A = Left 100; PAN B = Right 100

OUTPUT = CENTER

L/Mono Out to Bad Cat

R Out to SD

I'm away from home, so I can't really test the second method except with headphones, but it seems to work.

NOTE - there'll be a slight delay on the right (delay/reverb to SD) due to the additional da/ad conversion at the Loop. This should just serve to "fatten" up the sound, but the further apart the amps are, the more pronounced it might be. If it bothers you, using a delay on Path A before the MIXER as I did on the attached method 2 demo might fix it.

Smudge mod1.hlx

• Like 1

Awesome!

TRS is something I'm never very familiar with as I've never needed to use them for anything, so never even considered this before. It does look like this would be a much simpler way to get this set up.

I'll get hold of the correct cable and see how I get on.

Thanks again

Keir

On 3/24/2021 at 2:19 PM, rd2rk said:

Put the KC in a loop on the path to the SD. Put the split after any effects you want before both.

See the attached example preset.

Smudge.hlx 4.73 kB · 3 downloads

Hi buddy,

So I eventually tried this patch last night, with the setup you suggested:

1/4" TRS to Dual TS - Tip (L) to KC, KC back to L/Mono Return, Ring (R) to SD.

However, I either got a very loud and high pitched noise coming through the speakers, or a sound like was almost like a tremolo effect.

For this setup, what should I set the output of the Send to? If I was just inserting the pedal, I'd have thought "instrument" but since it's also going to the SD170 I wasn't sure. In the past when I've used the main L/Mono out to the SD170, I've changed the output here to "Line".

Also, the Ring cable wasn't long enough to make it all the way to my amp on it's own, so I had it connected to my 4-way junction box which - AFAIK - is just basic TS jacks

I'll get a video uploaded to let you hear what's happening, unless anyone can already determine what I've done wrong?

https://i.imgur.com/805n2iY.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/RiW6MJz.mp4

Here are a couple of video’s of the sounds I’m getting through the speakers.

If you notice, as soon as I change the patch to “smudge”, the light blue FX Loop block changes to orange. What’s happening here? It only does this when I have the TRS Jack connected to the stereo send.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers again

Keir

Try this:

Use Smudge Mod1, not Smudge.

TS (not TRS) From SEND to KC, TS from KC to L/Mono RETURN.

The L/Mono Output goes to the Badcat.

Right Output goes to the SD. Use a long enough Instrument cable to get around the junction box.

I have only headphones to test this (away from home), but if I turn down the Path A Output Block level all I hear is Path B on the Right and vice versa - Path A on the Left when I turn down Path B.

On 3/30/2021 at 10:39 PM, rd2rk said:

Try this:

Use Smudge Mod1, not Smudge.

TS (not TRS) From SEND to KC, TS from KC to L/Mono RETURN.

The L/Mono Output goes to the Badcat.

Right Output goes to the SD. Use a long enough Instrument cable to get around the junction box.

I have only headphones to test this (away from home), but if I turn down the Path A Output Block level all I hear is Path B on the Right and vice versa - Path A on the Left when I turn down Path B.

I tried this tonight.

With the FX Loop block engaged, there are no delays/reverbs coming through any of the amps. If I turn this off, delays are fine, coming through L/R amps as programmed.

FX Loop engaged, no delays and also KC coming through both amps. Dominant through the R amp (SD170)

Maybe this is unpossible?

4 hours ago, smudge_lad said:

I tried this tonight.

With the FX Loop block engaged, there are no delays/reverbs coming through any of the amps. If I turn this off, delays are fine, coming through L/R amps as programmed.

FX Loop engaged, no delays and also KC coming through both amps. Dominant through the R amp (SD170)

Maybe this is unpossible?

Don't know what else I can do for you. You must be doing something wrong, but without putting my hands on your rig, I can't tell you what it is.

What comes through the headphones is what comes out of the L/Mono Output and the Right Output. If both outputs work on a normal preset, what I said above, which works on mine, should work on yours.

Check it all again, make sure (with a multimeter) that ALL of your cables, even the ones you're sure of, are working, and connected correctly..

That's all I got!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Don't know what else I can do for you. You must be doing something wrong, but without putting my hands on your rig, I can't tell you what it is.

What comes through the headphones is what comes out of the L/Mono Output and the Right Output. If both outputs work on a normal preset, what I said above, which works on mine, should work on yours.

Check it all again, make sure (with a multimeter) that ALL of your cables, even the ones you're sure of, are working, and connected correctly..

That's all I got!

I totally appreciate your efforts dude, and do accept that it’s me who’s got something wrong. I’ll try and get hold of a multimeter to test my cables.

Just another question in regards to the stomp patches though, if I may. Even though I WILL check them and understand they could be faulty, I bought brand new TRS and TS cables just for this setup. So presuming these are fine, so I maybe have something wrong in my Stomp global settings?

Any advice on what I should be checking for? Which outputs should be set to line and which should be instrument, for example?

Thanks again man, really appreciate your time and effort and I’ll let you know if I get it up and running 

20 hours ago, smudge_lad said:

Just another question in regards to the stomp patches though, if I may. Even though I WILL check them and understand they could be faulty, I bought brand new TRS and TS cables just for this setup. So presuming these are fine, so I maybe have something wrong in my Stomp global settings?

Any advice on what I should be checking for? Which outputs should be set to line and which should be instrument, for example?

Assume nothing. Test everything, even the cables you THINK are good (mfg defects happen).

As for Global Settings, make sure that RETURN TYPE is set to RETURN.

• Upvote 1

On 4/3/2021 at 3:05 AM, rd2rk said:

Assume nothing. Test everything, even the cables you THINK are good (mfg defects happen).

As for Global Settings, make sure that RETURN TYPE is set to RETURN.

hey man, just letting you know that I got it working tonight. The return type was set to aux! So, changed it to RETURN and all good.

However i now have another problem - I plugged in my Kingsley Page to the front of the HX Stomp, and when I activate this, it cuts off all the audio signal :(

Tidied up for the night so will have another look tomorrow to see if I can figure out what’s happening