Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod X3 Pro Windows7 64bit Usb Audio Drop Out

Powellman

Hello there,

I've recently started using my podx3 pro as my audio interface for its dry and wet signal inputs but I seem to be running into this common problem with the device where the soundcard will just drop out forcing me to restart my pc. This doesn't seem to matter whether I'm using a DAW or not, in fact it seems to be more stable when its running on the ASIO drivers to a degree. It usually drops out when I'm streaming something from a video online. 

I've tried reinstalling the drivers for it and  that hasn't made a difference, I've tried changing the usb port and that hasn't made a difference. I'm not getting any kind of blue screen so I can't give any reports to indicate what might be the problem.

Here's my specs

Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 64 Bit

Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz 

4.00 GB Ram

all my software is update eg Flash, Quicktime, Chrome etc 

Has anyone come up with a solution for this problem yet?

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem on Windows 8.1 with my Pod X3. Constantly rebooting my PC because of audio dropouts. I've tried messing with the Buffer Size and the Bit Depth and Size. Nothing seems to fix it. 

I've contacted Line6 before and they have never given a solution for this problem. 

• Upvote 1

some of the x3's required a hardware fix for the usb. I know that the "lives" did not sure about the pro.

as a possible workaround you may want to try a usb 2.0 expansion card in your machine. should be inexpensive.

you can also try other ports on your machine as it is... they are not always created equal... 

my advice use a rear port that is NOT usb 3.0

USB 3.0 should be backwards compatible.. BUT, it has been known to cause issues with Line6 stuff. Not sure of the exact issues but plugging into a usb 2.0 slot has fixed some of them.

keep in mind noone comes here and says "hey my usb 3.0 works great!" it could just be issues with certain 3.0 chipsets or manufacturers.

if you don't mind the potential for it not working... i would give usb 3.0 a try... can't say with certainty that it will work...

so you may end up back looking for a 2.0 card... but maybe not.

I'm only 100% positive it affected the live boards, I can't confirm the bean or pro.

I'm about 99% certain that the USB Dropout issue was ONLY with the X3 Live devices. It was not a general issue with X3 Bean or Pro models. There may be isolated, independent USB issues with these models but they won't be covered under the lifetime warranty that exists for the X3 Live issue.

The only thing I've noticed lately when using the X3Pro with a Vaio VGN AR630E is that I sometimes have to restart the computer if it doesn't connect when I plug in the USB. So basically when that happens I unplug the USB, restart the computer and if it stalls during shutdown do a hard shutdown and then use the "Start Normally" option, wait for the computer to levelout from the start and then plug in and it connects reliably. Not sure why this is exactly but I use the same port for the HD500 and other devices also. So what I have done was intalled another copy of Win 7 and dedicated that to Line 6 DAW stuff and have optimized it.

I read somewhere the sodering of the physical connections to the POD's USB is falty on models and some tend to wear down and cause intermittant connectivity. I know mine suffers from this problem, and the only fix seems to be to open it up and resoder those connections.

However your problems sound a hair different as your USB connectivity stays but the audio drops out.

I'm also on a windows 7 pc, latest service pack and updates, latest POD drivers and L6 Monkey.

Bought a USB 3.0 PCI-e card. All my other devices work, however, when I plug my Pod X3 bean into it, it doesn't work. I went to Device Manager, and it has a "!" on it. When I click on that, it says that the device has an I/O error. 

I'm ordering a PCI-e card with USB 2.0 from newegg. I'll try that and see what happens. 

Bought a USB 3.0 PCI-e card. All my other devices work, however, when I plug my Pod X3 bean into it, it doesn't work. I went to Device Manager, and it has a "!" on it. When I click on that, it says that the device has an I/O error. 

I'm ordering a PCI-e card with USB 2.0 from newegg. I'll try that and see what happens. 

Thanks for the tip. I'm guessing the 3.0 PCI you installed updated it's own drivers successfully first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have exactly the same issues as the original poster. Had it all the time I've owned the Pod X3 Pro. I had my X3 Live updated by Line 6 and never caused any issues since, although the Live has never been used as a sound card.

My Pc is more or less exactly the same spec although mine has more ram and a Gigabyte board installed with 10 USB ports on the rear and two up front. I can use the front ports with my Pod HD500 with no problems at all apart from some hiss but I only connect it to sort set lists, I prefer to program the HD500 sounds on the fly in live situations.

The X3 Pro remains the best studio device Line6 have developed by far (in my opinion) but the dropout issues have always been there and only cause frustration if I let it. I don't lose any work in Cubase as a result of X3 pro seemingly losing it's connection but the only thing available for me to continue working is to save my work and reboot then change the asio driver back to X3 once back into Cubase. It's not ideal but the X3 Pro does not always fail, even during lengthy sessions.

The X3 pro can sometimes stop delivering audio when using any program or game or stream so the problem of audio dropout does not appear to be isolated to X3 Live alone.

Over the years I think I've used every USB port and a few versions and reinstalls of windows. Currently using Windows 7 64. Windows 8 just ain't gonna happen. 

It is usable? Yes, probably 95% plus reliable, just not quite perfect. But like I said, It's the best kit there is for what it does.

USB card arrived yesterday and installed. Spent a few hours last night in Cubase working on a new song with no issues. Spent an hour this morning before work doing same with again no issues. Maybe early to tell yet but early indicators are encouraging.

I'll report back in a week or two.

Regards

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I had the same problem with my pod x3 and i think I have a solution. My computer is a Dell inspiron 660, intel processor, windows 7 home premium 64bit, 4GB ram. I noticed that Intel Rapid Storage Technology application was messing with my cpu performance so i updated it and now my cpu usage stays low and my pod seems to be working great. After 3 long sessions in cubase with the pod as an audio interface ( i stayed offline with my antivirus disabled, just to be sure) , i had no audio dropouts neither loss of usb connection.

I guess it's too soon to make certain conclusions but if your computer uses Intel RST you can try updating it. If that's not the case you could try to find similar programs that affect your cpu usage and conflict with your podx3. 

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

I had the same problem with my pod x3 and i think I have a solution. My computer is a Dell inspiron 660, intel processor, windows 7 home premium 64bit, 4GB ram. I noticed that Intel Rapid Storage Technology application was messing with my cpu performance so i updated it and now my cpu usage stays low and my pod seems to be working great. After 3 long sessions in cubase with the pod as an audio interface ( i stayed offline with my antivirus disabled, just to be sure) , i had no audio dropouts neither loss of usb connection.

I guess it's too soon to make certain conclusions but if your computer uses Intel RST you can try updating it. If that's not the case you could try to find similar programs that affect your cpu usage and conflict with your podx3. 

Good luck!

Sounds very logical to me. Your basically optimizing your computer in order to save resources so that your DAW can function without running out of bandwidth/memory. Good Work!

• 4 weeks later...

I know I said I'd report back in a week or two but now it's over a year and though I still have the same PC, it's pretty much always kept up to date with all my software. Still I have the audio drop outs on the X3Pro. I can be watching an embedded video in Facebook and bam!!, audio gone until a reboot. Lately, I've been using a Tascam audio interface for Cubase work which works flawlessly.

I don't hold out much hope for a fix any time this century from Line6 but it really would be nice to know that someone actually discovers the issue and/or resolves it.

Does anyone know if the lifetime fix for X3Live applies to the Pro?

Like I said in an earlier post the X3Live went back to L6 for the hardware upgrade and worked fine ever since as an audio device.

Regards

• 2 months later...

I'm with Mark on this, i've owned a x3 bean for 8 years, and this problem has always been there. I've never seen someone from line 6 even acknowledge it.

Every thread i tried creating back in the days was just ignored.

The only fix that works and is not placebo is running xp 32bit, which is kinda sad cause it probably means it's just a driver bug in the 64bit version...

And yes in case you're wondering, problem's still here with windows 10.

• 1 year later...

So I'm actually having this audio drop out problem on Windows 10 as well. My audio never cuts out while I'm using an AUX cord or headphones, but the second that I plug in the USB that is my POD X3 Live I can run youtube(and all the other things that play audio) For a solid minute or 2 then it freezes for a second, and hen just lollipops out all together, no audio at all.