Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Xt Live Sound Problems

I am having sound problems with my XT Live. I can get sound from any patch, factory or custom. After about 30 seconds, the sound cuts volume drastically and amount of distortion, if using it. I haven't taken it apart and it's no longer under warranty, have had it since (approximatly) 2008. Not sure if I need to flash it, take apart and blow out the dust, but I need help definetly. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a common problem with the optical sensors on the POD XT Live - they have been known to fail over time resulting in poor Wah performance and volume problem issues.  It is possible this sensor is the problem you are having...the voltage gong to the optical sensors is dying after about 30 seconds.  I had to correct this on two previous XT Live's I owned.

First off try a pedal calibration, and see if that solves the problem.  If I recall correctly, while in the calibration mode you can see a numbered dial showing the pedal position.  This is a good indicator in seeing if your pedal is misbehaving....my problematic units would show "0" for heel down and "100" for toe forward.  Then, as you watched, the number might jump or glitch to different values.  

The small PC Optical board is available for purchase if you make an enquiry with Line 6.  It was not a lot of money as I recall, and well-worth it to enjoy a very nice effect processor!

If you are at all comfortable with taking the back off, you can try to make sure all the connections to the small PC board with the sensors are all tight and sound, as well as taking a very small brush and carefully cleaning off the optical board.

Let us know if this is at all helpful.

IF you purchased any model packs, they will be tied to your account and all you have to do is run the License Manager. which is bundled with the newest Monkey.

What if you bought it used with the expansion packs already on it, is there any way to save them?

Can i do a factory reset or will that wipe them off my pedal?

If you purchased it with model packs installed a reflash will wipe them out.

Unless you can get the original owner to gift them or surrender their account info (they can delete all sensitive info first).

The PODxt Live does come wit ha Power Pack and FX Junkie, so if those are the only ones, no worries.

• 8 years later...

Hi guys. I'm Adam from Poland. Having POD XT since I bought in 2006 being in Miami. Few weeks ago during performance I noticed the volume pedal didn't work - in every position the volume was high or there was no sound at all. When I kicked the pedal with my foot it started work normally for a very short period of time. So I decided to disassemble my unit. The optical sensors looked fine, anyway I cleaned it out with the soft cloth - but this was not a reason. Accidentally I touched the 6 or 7 line cable that connects the pedal board with the main board. The POD XT was still powered and I heard in the headphones some crackles. The plug was secured on the pedal board with the hot glue. I removed it and unconnected the cable. I cleaned the contacts pins, put it back together and secured it back with the hot glue. I think sometime you need to squeeze the contacts (not too strong!) where the pins come in to make the signal come through. At evening when I played 4 hrs gig there was no problem with the volume pedal (nor with the Wah effect). The small problem occurred when the pedal was in the hill position. The volume was not utter muted - I still heard some silent sound. The pedal calibration helped out, but only until I switched the unit off and put it back on. The silent sound was still heard in the pedal hill position on every patch. Next day the problem disappeared - can't explain why... So, remember about cable too. Not only of the optical sensors. Sorry, I should have taken some pictures, but I haven't...