Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hardware Controls vs Software Controls

DaveLeeNC

This is kind of a basic question, but I am unclear on this (as virtually all my interfacing with the HD500X is through the editor). How exactly does (for example) the Volume knob on the HD500X hardware relate to the virtual volume knob in the editor? Are they kind of multiplied together to get a final setting - in that case 25% on the hardware and 75% on the software volume knobs respectively would have the same result as 75% on the hardware and 25% in the software. 

And the same question for the other hardware control knobs - thanks.

dave

What pianoguyy said above..

The device physical controls of the amp model behave like those in the editor, eg 25% in a physical control corresponds to 25% of the corresponding control in the Editor.

But the physical Master control (which is only the general volume of the device) of the POD (not to be confused with the master volume control of the amp model in the Editor) exists only on the device and not in the editor.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

The physical Master knob affects only the device standard outputs but doesn't affect at all the signal passing through the USB.

All the other controls (which you can find also in the Editor) affect everything, included the signal passing through USB.

So as an example if the Master knob is set at zero you hear nothing from your headphones or speakers connected to the POD, but the signal will be still present unaffected through the USB and going in your recording software (DAW).

If as another example you turn down at zero the mixer block faders in the chain, you get no signal at all through both USB and standard outputs.

Basically when you record something in your DAW the controls in the chain are what really affect the final signal to be recorded, and the device Master knob is just your monitor volume level.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

@hurghanicoThanks for the additional clarifications. 

And to answer my own question (in the context of Volume control), I believe that if you have settings established by the editor and then shut down the editor and then you shut down the HD500x (do not touch any controls), then bring up the HD500x (do not touch the controls) followed by the editor, then the editor 'owns' the settings. 

But in the same scenario if the HD500X was the device that set the volume when you shut down the editor/DH500x, then the device volume setting controls the initial state of the device. 

At least I think that is what I am seeing here. It is a tough experimental environment for me as either I am way more careless than I think I am, or I do not yet have control of HD500X driven BSOD's. 

dave 

1 hour ago, DaveLeeNC said:

I believe that if you have settings established by the editor and then shut down the editor and then you shut down the HD500x (do not touch any controls), then bring up the HD500x (do not touch the controls) followed by the editor, then the editor 'owns' the settings. 

No. Actually the Editor "owns" only the temporary new settings made during the Editor use current session, ie still not saved to make them permanent.

When you open the Editor it just reads the data and settings from the POD and then displays them as they are on the screen, included the last patch you were working on but still not saved.

If you make new adjustments in the Editor to one or more patches, the Editor remembers them all one by one but only until you close the program.

If you want the new adjustments made to become permanent you must send the modified patches from the editor to the device before closing the editor.

In regard instead to your still recurring BSOD issues the last suggestion I could give is to try to uninstall the current driver and install another version, I believe that in the DOWNLOADS section there are at least 2 versions available.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips