Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Power Amp For HX Stomp?

GraveyardSky

Hello. New user here. I've been running it through the effects send into my EVH 5150 50w head, but I plan on selling it and going solely with the HX stomp into a power amp.

I'll be running it into a 1x12 Zilla oversized cab with Celestion V30. I also have a Mesa 2x10 bass cab that I use when jamming on bass guitar.

I'm strictly a bedroom player. So, I don't need anything fancy. Just something that works good. Nothing real expensive, but also nothing that isn't junk.

Thanks in advance!

They are all pricey unless you go with a pedal type power amp. Electro Harmonix just released the Howitzer which is considerably cheaper if you are just a bedroom player. They have a few other models as well. I've only watched the demo and I'm a beginner so I can't say if it sounds good/bad or colors the sound too much.

• Like 1

I either play through it with no Stomp, just using the amp's tube distortion (gain up volume down) and it sounds great for in the house practice. With the Stomp (using Stomp amp and or amp/cab + effects) I run it with the gain turned way down and the volume up. In that case, it doesn't color things much at all, and there is no appreciable noise. Its surprisingly versatile for as few knobs as it has. If you want to use it with the Stomp doing most of the tone controlling, it's great for the price. I'd look for  one with a 30-day return to try, though. Your tastes may vary. Also, there are good reviews on youtube so you can hear what it will do....

I just picked up a Boss Katana MKII head for this purpose this weekend, using its power amp in and bypassing all of the Katana pre-amp and effects stuff.   Works pretty well and sounds fairly decent.

I was considering a Duncan PowerStage 170, but the Katana is $50 less.   I am wondering if the PowerStage sounds any better?   Certainly there is a difference in form factor also, but it's just crazy how cheap the Katana line is.   Okay, I really don't care for the Katana sound myself, but the head makes a reasonable power amp, and if ever needed, could use some of the other features.

That being said, I'll probably end up with a Fryette Power Station someday, or other amp head.

1 hour ago, Zilthy said:

I just picked up a Boss Katana MKII head for this purpose this weekend, using its power amp in and bypassing all of the Katana pre-amp and effects stuff.   Works pretty well and sounds fairly decent.

I was considering a Duncan PowerStage 170, but the Katana is $50 less.   I am wondering if the PowerStage sounds any better?   Certainly there is a difference in form factor also, but it's just crazy how cheap the Katana line is.   Okay, I really don't care for the Katana sound myself, but the head makes a reasonable power amp, and if ever needed, could use some of the other features.

That being said, I'll probably end up with a Fryette Power Station someday, or other amp head.

I bought the Seymore duncan because you can still use the 3band eq on it,on the katana you can only use the power amp, everything else is cut off except for vol.

16 hours ago, datacommando said:

A little research is a good thing.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Yep, this is exactly how I run. Only difference is I use a bam200, not a SD-170. Also, if you have separate fx pedals (mod/delay/reverb) it's a good idea to use them in an fx loop (if you can) to save some DSP on the stomp.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Wow ... i am so late to this discussion but felt the need to add my two pennies of experience using the HX STOMP.   First off , i have used the STOMP straight into a MOSVALE 962 stereo power amp - it's not bad using the preamp models and amp models with no cab sims or IR's to taste.  Now secondly , my main objective at acquiring and using the STOMP was to run it straight into the front of my amp heads ( TW clones : Express and Rocket ). I use primarily a 1 x 12 D Style loaded Sourmash cab sporting a Weber 100wt Blue Dog speaker. The usage is the same as with the MOSVALVE - only preamp and amp models selected ... and i really do prefer using the STOMP in this fashion over the MOSVALVE.  But now , getting to the absolute scheme and objective of why i got this thing in the first place.  I use the Marshall 'esq models for the Express clone and the Vox models ( mainly the AC 30 NRM amp ) into the Rocket clone.  You may be thinking, why are you adulterating these amps ... it's no aldulteration - trust me.  I got the STOMP to replace the want or need for an attenuator - i don't like attenuators.  Can you see the picture more clearly now ?  I can get all the signature scream / mean tones i want at much more manageable levels and is also perfect for bedroom level practice.  The bonus is i don't have to cook the tubes in the amps allowing them longer life as well.  I match the STOMP models EQ to the EQ of the amp ... the rest is adjusting output volume as needed.  The amps also add supporting realism to the tone overall and impart their characteristic feel rendering the STOMP models as way more believable.  Nothing is sacrificed - not dynamics / touch sensitivity or any character of the amp's tonal integrity .... all in all , it's a beautiful thing really.

• 1 year later...