Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What settings were used

nightrodrider

Just got a Shuriken..Came across this vid.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u44OHpoJL8 

Absolutely awesome sound throughout.. Wonder if anyone can decipher the settings that he was using ?

(Tunings used and guitar models when and where...)

Also i,m figuring he used a beatbuddy or something similar...Correct me if wrong.

Thanks

btw,,, this is the Coolest looking guitar,,absolutely love it !

Variety and versatility, the sky is no longer the limit with these things.

Might try to reach out to Guitar World Tech Editor Paul Riario and ask him. There's probably an email

at the publication to contact him.

BTW, that is the 27" scale guitar.

On the screen behind Stevic shows the Workbench HD display showing what's in the patch.

His guitar design, amazing guitar, in amazing hands.

I,ll give that a try ..

another question... i have the SR250.  The models and tunings that are stored within all the different variax models are the same ,correct?

If so, if i used identical settings on a SR250 ,,compared to a SR270...how would the tone be different?

Thanks

3 hours ago, nightrodrider said:

I,ll give that a try ..

another question... i have the SR250.  The models and tunings that are stored within all the different variax models are the same ,correct?

If so, if i used identical settings on a SR250 ,,compared to a SR270...how would the tone be different?

Thanks

If you fixate on duplicating somebody else's settings, expecting 1:1 tonal continuity with something you saw in a demo video, I promise you that you will come away disappointed... it just isn't that simple.

Beyond the guitar itself, there is a list of variables of Biblical length that will influence what you hear coming out of your speakers. Can't look at somebody else's settings as anything but a starting point... the rest is countless hours of experimentation until you find what works for you. Now that doesn't mean that it's not possible to nail a tone that you've heard... it absolutely can be done. But the odds of just dialing in a bunch of parameters that produced a given result for someone else, is essentially zero... it's an unpleasant lesson that most of us learn the hard way. Demos make it look easy because they're designed to sell guitars, and they give the impression that any given tone can be achieved with a few turns of a knob, or couple of mouse clicks. In practice however, it just doesn't work that way...until you really get to know the instrument and how it works. Nor is it possible to predict how much different your individual instrument might sound compared to the demo you've seen, with any given combination of settings. There's only one way to find that out...

I understand what you are saying..I was hoping for a ballpark setting  like DL,s from the customtones that are posted..I,m just learning the helix and seeing what sounds i like and then looking at the chains of how they are put together..

As for the guitars, say i use mine (SR250), with a preset,,,then i switch to a SR270 using the same preset.. both tuned the same. Would the tone be noticeably different?

Just wondering as i,m second guessing myself as to maybe i,d prefer the SR270.

Thanks !

15 hours ago, nightrodrider said:

I understand what you are saying..I was hoping for a ballpark setting  like DL,s from the customtones that are posted..I,m just learning the helix and seeing what sounds i like and then looking at the chains of how they are put together..

As for the guitars, say i use mine (SR250), with a preset,,,then i switch to a SR270 using the same preset.. both tuned the same. Would the tone be noticeably different?

As I said, nobody can answer that for you. Lots of things affect tone... physical things like string tension and playing technique, to whatever you've got going on in your Helix, to the acoustics of your listening environment, and especially the volume at which you're listening.

The two instruments you're talking about are physically different... the longer scale length of a baritone guitar will have increased string tension compared to a shorter scale instrument with the same gauge strings on it. Will they sound identical to your ears? I have no idea... and neither does anybody else.

We're talking about perception here, which is very much an individual experience, and there are no absolutes whatsoever. All of the things above are small pieces of a large puzzle... and you're focusing on just one thing. What you may or may not perceive as "different" is impossible to predict, generally difficult to even describe.

The only thing that's a near certainty is that merely dialing in someone else's settings used in some YouTube video will not produce the exact same tone on your end. I've been at this for years, and it simply doesn't happen. It might be a very subtle difference,  easily tweaked with a little EQ, or you may find that it sounds nothing like the demo at all and you have to start from scratch. I can't tell you which it'll be...here's exactly one way to find that out.

Keep in mind that there are tons of unknowns... how was the video recorded? Direct with a modeler, mic-ed amp?  How much post production was done? etc etc etc... the list goes on.

"... say i use mine (SR250), with a preset,,,then i switch to a SR270 using the same preset.. both tuned the same. Would the tone be noticeably different? "---

You might notice a slight tone color EQ difference, being that the scale length is different between them. It's a slight different program to access the same Model set.

As for Stevic, he does a lot of custom stuff.