Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Annoc

Newbie here but can't find this info, if any, anywhere. trying to do an acoustic solo show using my helix and a set of EV ZLX 12P's. My question is with my Acoustic guitar into "guitar in" (send 1/2 out) my Microphone into "MIC in" (XLR outputs) and having 2 separate signal paths, can I put 2 separate volume pedals and control volumes between guitar and vocals using only EXP 1 and EXP 2?

perfect world : I setup, get a good volume on my guitar (using the first volume pedal in the first signal path) then push a switch and it switches to the other volume pedal in the other signal path and get a good vocal volume level.......all without disturbing the guitar level.....hope this makes sense...I have exhausted my efforts, Thanks in advance for the knowledge

CA

I think you're adding too much complexity to what you're trying to do.  There's really no reason to separate the guitar and vocal into separate inputs on the ZLX.  Those inputs are there to support a simple guitar input direct into one and a mic input direct into the other.  If you have both the guitar and mic going through the Helix and both on totally separate signal paths you can easily gain stage and balance the relative mix between the two independently within the preset and have them go out XLR to the speakers to the same inputs on the ZLX and just use the Helix volume knob to increase the overall volume of your output while retaining the relative mix between the two independent signal paths.

Thanks for the reply, I realize I am over thinking the situation. And I have since settled on that exact solution. But it still stands to wonder if that is possible? With me being new, I wanted to ask a seasoned person.

Thanks Again,

CA

1 hour ago, Annoc said:

Thanks for the reply, I realize I am over thinking the situation. And I have since settled on that exact solution. But it still stands to wonder if that is possible? With me being new, I wanted to ask a seasoned person.

Thanks Again,

CA

If you really wanted to you could drop in volume pedals at the beginning of each signal chain to control the volume of each.

I tried this, had the issue of cycling / throttling the Expression pedal to engage the toe switch which changed the volume to 100% . I am assuming that both volume pedals can not be controlled by the same Exp pedal. or can they? because there is 2 separate signal paths and inputs/outputs will it allow control of each volume pedal on EXP1? (will test this once I am home) That was the main issue. being able to set the volume with the pedal and then switch to the other signal path without disturbing the first. If they can be controlled using the same bank (EXP 1) then the problem will be solved. select what volume pedal I want to adjust and toggle between both with out having to engage the toe switch.

CA 

This is how I run mine when I do solo shows. 

Guitar In - Guitar

Mic In  - Mic (duh, right?)

Left XLR Out to my powered wedge (monitor)

Direct out of Monitor to the FOH Powered Speaker.  This way I hear what the audience hears and can monitor my mix appropriately.

In the preset, I run separate paths for vocals/guitar.....but I have a volume block at the beginning of each chain....attached to the same EXP 1.  That way when I'm done performing, I roll that back, everything is muted.  Next set, roll up to 100% ready to go.   My balance between vocals and guitar is set in the output block level at the end of the chains.