Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need some L6 link clarification

Jessehendrixp1

I hope this is in the right forum it kinda portains to the dt50 also so I thought here was appropriate sorry if I am wrong..........

Ok so I got the hd500x for my dt50 and Ive read everything and studied and played with it and feel like I have a pretty good understanding of how everything works and all but there are a few things I'm alittle cloudy about....... In the 500x setup menu on page 9/12: l6 audio, what is the difference between left and right vs amp a and amp b........ and could someone explain what happens if I am using line 6 link and put two amp models in the chain but am only using one dt50 amp? I understand the dt50 topologies will use the amp a model but then what is exactly going on with the other one? Is it cancelled out and no point of running two amp models really with a single dt or does it still add a simulation with no topologies and converted to mono? I thought at first if you turned off the amp a model it would switch to amp b but it doesn't it switches to b channel on the dt50 itself which doesn't use 500x amp models it uses the stock ones as far as I can tell....

Thanks for the answers in advance 

On 4/2/2021 at 8:16 PM, Jessehendrixp1 said:

I hope this is in the right forum it kinda portains to the dt50 also so I thought here was appropriate sorry if I am wrong..........

Ok so I got the hd500x for my dt50 and Ive read everything and studied and played with it and feel like I have a pretty good understanding of how everything works and all but there are a few things I'm alittle cloudy about....... In the 500x setup menu on page 9/12: l6 audio, what is the difference between left and right vs amp a and amp b........ and could someone explain what happens if I am using line 6 link and put two amp models in the chain but am only using one dt50 amp? I understand the dt50 topologies will use the amp a model but then what is exactly going on with the other one? Is it cancelled out and no point of running two amp models really with a single dt or does it still add a simulation with no topologies and converted to mono? I thought at first if you turned off the amp a model it would switch to amp b but it doesn't it switches to b channel on the dt50 itself which doesn't use 500x amp models it uses the stock ones as far as I can tell....

Thanks for the answers in advance 

Welcome to the forum. To answer what I know and just quickly setup on my setup, JTV69s--->(POD HD500x--->DT25 via L6). 

"In the 500x setup menu on page 9/12: l6 audio, what is the difference between left and right vs amp a and amp b"

Depending on how many DT series amps(you can connect 4 if you want) the POD changes to DT on this screen. Just an FYI if you didn't know you can also connect the SoundSource speakers via L6 link. If you connect one of these I believe it would say AMP but here I'm not sure as I've never connected one. Having said that, you then can let the POD know what DT amp or SoundSource speaker to have what feed. I believe there a spot as to where on the path in the POD you are "tapping" the signal that will send to that DT amp. 

"and could someone explain what happens if I am using line 6 link and put two amp models in the chain but am only using one dt50 amp?"

On the top path on the patch you are creating, that amp will configure the DT to the appropriate amp, and the on the bottom path that amp will be a simulation(I believe) is send to the DT in mono. I setup a quick patch to play with this and when I changed the amp model on the POD the DT changed as normal, but when I switched the bottom path amp the simulation changed the DT didn't follow. If you turned the volume of the amp in the top path and change the bottom path amp you'll hear what I mean. 

Hope that helps. 

Jd

Yes thank you that does help but it think I need to explain my left/right/amp a / amp b question alittle better........ As far as the choices there if I pick left or right or both.......( I usually pick both so I have both the chains going to my single dt amp).......... Whatever I do to the chains gets ran through the dt effects etc........ But what exactly does it do if I don't choose the left or right or both and choose either amp a, amp b, or both....... Does it just emulate the models of the amps without any effect(s)? Or does it maybe run the chain up to wherever you have the amp model set and stop it there (so basically no post effects)...... Thanks for the input it helps alot

2 hours ago, Jessehendrixp1 said:

Yes thank you that does help but it think I need to explain my left/right/amp a / amp b question alittle better........ As far as the choices there if I pick left or right or both.......( I usually pick both so I have both the chains going to my single dt amp).......... Whatever I do to the chains gets ran through the dt effects etc........ But what exactly does it do if I don't choose the left or right or both and choose either amp a, amp b, or both....... Does it just emulate the models of the amps without any effect(s)? Or does it maybe run the chain up to wherever you have the amp model set and stop it there (so basically no post effects)...... Thanks for the input it helps alot

So I did a quick test again to see what it does. If you choose Left or Right, Left/Right it includes the effects you have after the amp in your path(chain). If you choose amp A or amp B, amp a/b then it will not include the effects after the amp in the path(chain). As I said before the top path(chain) will be DT configuration bottom path(chain) will be simulated. 

"But what exactly does it do if I don't choose the left or right or both and choose either amp a, amp b, or both....... Does it just emulate the models of the amps without any effect(s)?" It will configure the DT to what you have in the top chain, bottom will be simulated and no effects after the amps will come through. What every you have before each amp will still go through the DT or simulated amps. 

I think this is how it work for a wet/dry or wet/dry/wet setup. If you had a second DT amp you could do a wet/dry rig by choosing Left/Right for one, and the other you'd choose Amp A/B.

If you had a third DT amp you could got wet/dry/wet by choosing Left on one DT, Amp A/B on the second, and Right on the third. 

In these cases the DT's will configure to what you have on either chain. 

Jd

Ahhh thank you for clearing that up I had kinda figured out what it did by process of elimination but I guess what was stumping me was the fact I only had one amp and I couldn't really figure out what the the point of it was but that makes total since now lol....... if I had had a few more dt amps I probably would have figured that out on my own lmao but anyway thanks for your patience and clearing that up unfortunately I don't think I'll ever be buying multiple amps the single dt 212 suits me just fine the only thing(s) I could see me buying in the future is possibly a variax and maybe a soundsource speaker probably the soundsource before the ax because my guitars seem to suit me fine and I honestly don't use but like 10% of the functionality of the pod lol