Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DiMarzio DP100 and DP209

Hello,

I have a JTV-59P that I want to put a DP209 in the bridge and JTV-59 that I want to put a DP100 in the bridge on.

I have read all over the forum and some people have said they've added a DP100 to a JTV-59 with no issues.

Of course, I've also seen the resident Line6 Tech here saying that I gotta stay in a certain range of "bulk resistance".

I love the sound of the P90's in the 59P, but they are just pretty noisy.

And, I've always been a Super Distortion player so....

Yea/Nay? 

With a DCR of 13.68k Ohms, DP100 will sound very dark in tone color EQ.

With a DCR of 13.50k Ohms, DP209 will also sound very dark in tone color EQ.

If you're going to swap out pick-ups, it has to have a DCR between 6k and 8k Ohms.

And use the wiring diagrams in the Line 6 Knowledge Base,...

OK, so they will sound "dark".... is that something that can't be EQ'd out?

Or, what about adding a 19k resistor in parallel with the pickup.... wouldn't that drop it down to around 8k?

So, what happens if I don't feed the signal from the magnetic pickups to the Variax motherboard at all, and just run it directly out through the 1/4 jack?  IE- run the mags through the tip and the Variax output through the ring of a TRS jack?  Obviously I know I would lose the ability to power the Variax through the ring. 

I do this now in a PRS guitar I have that is loaded with a Ghost LB63 bridge... I run the piezo's out via an Acoustiphonic preamp on the ring and my mags on the tip.  I'm then able to switch between either source (or blend them) on my Kemper by feeding the ring in on an effects loop return.

" OK, so they will sound "dark".... is that something that can't be EQ'd out? "--- Maybe, if there is enough upper frequency there to EQ with.

Trying to compensate for something that isn't much there would be trying to brute force the EQ,... and that is like putting too much salt on

a meal to compensate for a specific flavor. That's a big maybe to put a bet on.

" Or, what about adding a 19k resistor in parallel with the pickup.... wouldn't that drop it down to around 8k? " --- Don't go there. Don't go beyond

doing just a pick-up swap. It's not just a resistor, there are also other components downstream that will come into play. Don't go there.

Remember, this is an active circuit guitar, so it needs to be treated a little differently.

Seymour Duncan has a nice selection, some within the 6k to 8k Ohm range, some outside the range. 

https://www.seymourduncan.com/products/pickups/electric/p90

Give them a call, check those out.