Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Joystick not responding

Doglien

The joystick on my Helix Floor no longer responds to push or rotation input. It still functions in the 4 directional push mode, but that is all.

Have tried global reset without success. Anyone else experienced this and is there a fix?

3 hours ago, Doglien said:

Anyone else experienced this and is there a fix?

Hi,

Yes, it once happened to me, and it need to be repaired. The most likely cause is a dry solder joint on the connections. This sort of thing is not unusual in electronic equipment - it just happens, no big deal.

I booked In a repair for my Helix with the nearest (about 200 mile away) authorised Line 6 repair shop and it was solved really quickly and efficiently. About a week turn round and in the region of 100 GBP.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

1 hour ago, Doglien said:

Thanks for the answers everyone. Disappointing that it needs to go in for repair... It certainly feels like a software issue given that the jog functionality of the wheel still works.

That's a multifunction joystick, with rotation encoding, axis and push. It's a 6 pin, and a single broken solder (cold joint) it's enough to stop one of the functions.

26 minutes ago, PierM said:

That's a multifunction joystick, with rotation encoding, axis and push. It's a 6 pin, and a single broken solder (cold joint) it's enough to stop one of the functions.

Got it. Thanks for the info!

3 hours ago, billybremner said:

£100 for a solder joint? Daylight robbery.

Huh?

What, even when that includes the shipping, diagnostics and guaranteed repair to something that’s bit if a pig to try and do yourself? This isn’t soldering a Jack plug onto a cable, so no, not really.

Before I retired, I remember how much people used to grimace, and do the sharp intake of breath, when I told them how much I charged per hour. They either pay or don’t get the job done. How much is your time worth? Let the people who know what they’re doing get on with it and get it back with a warranty on the repair.

What’s the other option - never use the joystick again?

Is that you on the plinth outside Elland Road?

46 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Huh?

What, even when that includes the shipping, diagnostics and guaranteed repair to something that’s bit if a pig to try and do yourself? This isn’t soldering a Jack plug onto a cable, so no, not really.

Before I retired, I remember how much people used to grimace, and do the sharp intake of breath, when I told them how much I charged per hour. They either pay or don’t get the job done. How much is your time worth? Let the people who know what they’re doing get on with it and get it back with a warranty on the repair.

What’s the other option - never use the joystick again?

Is that you on the plinth outside Elland Road?

I fixed mine myself but it took a few hours to do so £100 isn't really that bad.

PS, I grew up in earshot of Elland Road in the Billy Bremner era!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Doglien said:

Thanks for the answers everyone. Disappointing that it needs to go in for repair... It certainly feels like a software issue given that the jog functionality of the wheel still works.

It happens because the rotary encoder is pivoted and moves above the switches so eventually a wire breaks.

It's definitely not a software issue.

4 hours ago, CraigGT said:

It's definitely not a software issue.

Hi.

Good point.

I noticed that the OP mentioned that he had gone through the Global Reset process, which sort of ruled the software option out.There was a spate of “joystick malfunction” posts after the v2.8 firmware update, the reset usually fixed it. Also, as I think you already know, a restart with FS3&4 held down for the UI test function might show the hardware fault.

Ah! The Billy Bremner era, but which one? Player or Manager. My era was the first, with him, Bobby Collins, Big Jack et al.

Small world. 

;-)

8 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hi.

Good point.

I noticed that the OP mentioned that he had gone through the Global Reset process, which sort of ruled the software option out.There was a spate of “joystick malfunction” posts after the v2.8 firmware update, the reset usually fixed it. Also, as I think you already know, a restart with FS3&4 held down for the UI test function might show the hardware fault.

Ah! The Billy Bremner era, but which one? Player or Manager. My era was the first, with him, Bobby Collins, Big Jack et al.

Small world. 

;-)

I was never a football fan so I wasn't any good so I always the goalie but yes it was the Billy Bremner, Peter Lorimer, Eddie Grey era.

2 hours ago, CraigGT said:

I was never a football fan so I wasn't any good so I always the goalie but yes it was the Billy Bremner, Peter Lorimer, Eddie Grey era.

Same here, never took to it at all -

And, not quite within earshot of Elland Road, but from just over the hill - I hail from the small town with the “World Famous Variety Club”, home to the stars.  ;-)

Even smaller world!

Back to the topic now!