Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

VDI cable = RJ45 = Cat5e =Cat6???? Please help! lol

Hi all, so I'm getting my Helix LT soon and I have a JTV69 Variax.  I'm currently living in China so I can't buy the VDI cable with the protecting case on it from Sweetwater.  However, I have seen others mention it's just a Cat5 (RJ45) cable with a Neutrik case?  Is that true???  If it is, I'm able to buy that (some random brands) in China.  My question is... are Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6, and Cat8 all the same?  I've read that they are, but also that sometimes the Cat6 and higher are thicker wires so the plug might be different.....  Also, are Cat5 and Cat5e the same?  Right now I'm only finding Neutrik protector with Cat5e and Cat6.....  Would that work for running from my Variax to Helix LT?  Sorry, I'm not a technician so I have no clue about these kinds of things.  Many thanks in advance!

"... Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6, and Cat8 all the same? " --- No, they are not all the same. The CAT series network cables

designations go to the frequency band data rates they are made for. 

For best use with our product, CAT5e with the Neutrik casing is best, and no more than 25ft.

4 minutes ago, psarkissian said:

"... Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6, and Cat8 all the same? " --- No, they are not all the same. The CAT series network cables

designations go to the frequency band data rates they are made for. 

For best use with our product, CAT5e with the Neutrik casing is best, and no more than 25ft.

Perfect!  Thank you very much for the reply!  That was very helpful!