Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Terrible input meter responsiveness

itaisod

I just started my 15 days trial today and I mostly like this software but seriously, why is the input meter so glitchy? Output meter too. Compared to my DAW's (REAPER) meters, Helix Native's meter sometimes simply "doesn't notice" I just played a note, and when it does, it's some random level. Also the little bar that marks the highest volume reached sometimes just doesn't appear. Honestly looks like a bug. It's just barely usable to set the input gain. Or is it just me? Running on Windows 10, VST3.

I somewhat agree. Although I don't notice that they are "random" and I haven't seen the "doesn't notice" problem (I'm on a Mac) ......  I don't find them very useful, and they are way too small for my old eyeballs. Because the input level is so important for Native in order to optimize tone (and match Helix sounds) I'm kinda surprised the meters are so wimpy. I put a level meter in front of the plugin and use that to monitor.

10 hours ago, itaisod said:

why is the input meter so glitchy?

Hi,

I’m not sure I would describe them as glitchy, more like “not great for the job”. My experience is pretty much in line with “soundog”, in the comment above, (even down to the eyeballs). The idea of putting a level meter in front is a good option though.

If you think that you have uncovered a bug, the best thing is to raise a ticket with Customer Support and make them aware of it.

Hope this helps makes sense.

Ah, I see. But it may not be a bug. Keep in mind that any loudness or peak meter can have its own (or adjustable) averaging speed, which directly effects how "smooth" the response is. You can't  assume the external meter is using the same smoothing as Native (they obviously are not). You could try a meter that lets you set the average/smoothing time and see if you get a better match.

If I get a chance I'll see how things look for my Native meter in Logic, but I've never noticed a problem with them for level setting (other than the optics!).

My take on this is that Native meters are probably just intended as signal in/out leveling, not for live metering. It's clear there is a much slower response, and a fairly rude quantization. i wouldnt be suprised if they are also affected by buffering. For sure not calling or reading level info straight from DAW.