Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

3 note generator

djerwin

Love the Pod Go. Mystified, however, by the 3 Note Generator. Is it possible to play guitar at the same time as the 3NG is turned on? In Helix, this seems possible based on some videos I've watched, but Helix has multiple signal paths and Pod Go just one. There's a Dry Signal level, which at first glance I thought might refer to the level of the guitar, but it seems to do nothing. Any suggestions? Has anyone figured this out? If there's no way to have the guitar make a noise at the same time as the 3NG or affect the sound in any way, it seems a strange thing to include in the Pod Go. What am I missing?

Hi @djerwin 

I've only played with the 3NG for 20 mins so I'm sure there are lots of ways of using it, but you can play over it and you don't need multiple signal paths.  You have levels on each of the 3 notes but the trick is to lower the master level at the bottom of the 3 note sections so you can hear your guitar over the note.  

So, how do you set up 3 notes and change between them?  I'm sure there's other ways but here's one:

1. Set your 'normal' guitar tone with 3NG off - add some nice lush reverb & delays for ambience etc.  Keep 3NG 'off' and save as snapshot 1

(Note: You'll want to experiment with where to put 3NG in the signal chain - I just put it after the amp but before reverb & delay just to see how I could make 3NG work)

2. Select snap two.  Turn on 3NG and put 'snap' icon by the first Octave.  Select the note/wave you want eg 'A' and triangle and Octave level eg '4'.  Lower the master level so you can hear your guitar above it. As we only want 1 note to sound, on Octave 2 and 3, set the Octave to '0' which will mute them - Save snap 2.

3. Select snap 3. Now, on the Octave 1 and 3, set those at 0 (to mute the note) as you want a different note in Octave 2 and for this simple example you don't want 2 notes at the same time.  Put 'snap' icon by the second octave and again set note/wave you want, say 'C' and triangle and octave '4'. Save snap 3

4. Select snap 4. Now, on the Octave 1 and 2, set these to 0 as you want a different note in Octave 3 and put 'snap' icon by the third octave and again set note/wave you want, say 'F #' and triangle and octave level '4'. Save snap 4

Save your patch in position snap 1 ie just your normal guitar tone. Engage snap mode. Snap 2 will give 'A', snap 2 will give 'C' and snap 3 will give 'F#' and you can move back and forth as you want to, playing over the 3NG note.

You can get the same result by putting 'snap' on the levels in Octave 1,2 &3 and dropping the levels on the unwanted notes to '0' - as I said I only played with it for 10mins

But you can be cleverer than this by eg setting a triad chord with all three octaves active in snap 2,3 & 4 - same process as above except you aren't going to '0' octave to mute unwanted notes. And you could set different notes with different wave and octave levels ie you can mix & match.   And once you get used to that, you can play around with the other settings (using snap icon where needed.  I set a G, C & D triad chord - you can also have different levels of note if you want eg the root note to stand out a tad more etc - but remember to put the snap tag on any parameter you want to change, and in the relevant snap shot - it's easy to do this in the wrong snapshot by mistake!

I only played with it out of interest re your post,- however it's far too fiddly for me, not really my 'thing' and I'd never use it - but (& hopefully my explanation helps/works - I was writing this from memory without Pod Go Edit in front of me) this should get you started on how to use it.  I'm sure there's plenty more things you can do with it, so have fun!