Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp - Multiple Setlists

Picksalotmore

I've been using my HX Stomp for about 4 months, and use it almost daily. I need some help understanding Setlists, but have not been able to find much information to them specific to this unit. I enjoy modifying and creating my own "Presets" within the unit. So much so, that I'm running out of Preset Locations to save any new Presets. I'm familiar with, and use Snapshots all the time, but they won't address the specific use described below. I also do regular Backups.

What I'd like to do is create "multiple Setlists" so that I can load any specific one I want, when I want. I know the HX Stomp is limited to one Setlist, but I believe that means one Setlist stored in the unit at a time. I would like to create several different Setlists on the unit, and save each one to my computer for future retrieval/use when I want, and I believe this can be done, but have some concerns.

My confusion and concern is how the unit processes and loads individual Setlists, as I don't want any of my Presets to be lost.

1. To start, I'd like to have 3 Setlists: Factory Setlist (a backup of those), Daily Setlist, and Experimental Setlist, all saved on my computer.

2. Currently, I'm using what I'm calling the "Factory Setlist," which includes Factory Presets, FX, DIR, 4CM, BAS, and my settings, modifications, and a bunch of my own Presets.

3. If I were save the current Setlist onto my computer, and then modify the "Daily Setlist" on the unit, what would happen when I load a different Setlist on the unit?

4. Would the current/Factory Setlist in the Unit "overwritten?"

5. Would my Daily Setlist somehow "merged" into the current Setlist?

6. If my Daily Setlist had 20 of my custom Presets in it, how many additional "blank/empty Presets" would appear in the unit when that Setlist was loaded - would it be 42 Banks minus 20 Banks = 22 "blank/empty Presets"?

7. How would I copy a Preset created in one Setlist and paste it into a different Setlist.

8. Am I correct in assuming that my custom Global Settings will remain unchanged when a new Setlist is loaded?

9. I read on the forum where someone recommended saving "individual Presets" as opposed to a Setlist. I think the reason may have been that it makes accessing individual Presets possible.

Thanks in advance for any help, and insights you can provide. I'm just trying to prevent any "gotcha's" and avoid wasting time.

Although I own a regular Helix floor unit, I believe the Stomp has the same setup in terms of setlists and presets.  You should have 8 setlists, with each setlist containing 128 slots for presets.  The setlists and presets are stored in the memory of your Helix but can be exported and imported as complete setlists or as individual presets to and from your computers hard drive.  I personally have over 300 presets I've created but generally only have about 20 ever loaded in my Helix at any given time.  All of my presets are individually exported to my hard drive after I've made any modifications to it and I can restore any preset in any order to my working setlist at any time.  I'm always overwriting the working setlist, but it doesn't matter since the "master" version of the preset is always stored on the hard drive.  You can do the same thing with each and all setlists and the only limit is your computer's hard drive.  If you have a setlist in memory and want to import a different setlist you can do it on any one of the other 8 setlists, or in you current setlist but you just need to export the current setlist if you want to retain it for later use.  You don't "merge" setlists, you simply load them.

1. You have 8 total setlists in the Helix memory at any given time.  They are not lost when you turn it off. You can name them anything you want and export/import any setlist to your computer hard drive.

3.  Whatever preset you restore from your computer will overwrite what's in the Helix, so just make sure you export what's in memory before you import a new one.

4.  Only if you import a different setlist over the current Factory setlist.  So export it if you want to save it.

5.  There's no facility for "merging" setlists

6.  If you have 20 custom presets in a setlist that means you have 108 available presets left in that setlist (128 total).  There are no real "banks" in the Helix.  That's just an internal numbering system (01A, 02B, 03B..etc)  which can be changed in global settings to just be numbers (001, 002, 003, etc).

7.  You can copy a preset to another location by saving it and specifying what setlist and preset location you want it saved to.

8.  Imports and exports of setlists or presets has no effect on global settings.  Global settings are saved using a system backup/restore.

9.  That's how I work generally.  I have over 300 presets but I load what I need at any given time into one setlist which is my working setlist.  Otherwise the master preset is saved on my computer and I export whatever I have loaded into the Helix if I modify it and overwrite the old preset on my computer with the new one.

You don't have to worry about preventing any "gothchas" as long as you read the manual.  It's all documented in there.

Helix Stomp has a single Setlist, with 126 presets, subdivided into 42 Banks, with 3 Presets each. This means you can't do what you are asking for, as there is no multiple setlist onboard. Just one.

My suggestion is to think per preset, not per setlist. Just do proper backup to avoid losing stuff.

• Helix Floor/Rack/LT; 1024 presets (8 Setlists * 32 Banks * 4 Presets)
  • Helix Stomp; 126 presets (1 Setlist * 42 Banks * 3 Presets)

12 hours ago, Picksalotmore said:

1. To start, I'd like to have 3 Setlists: Factory Setlist (a backup of those), Daily Setlist, and Experimental Setlist, all saved on my computer.

2. Currently, I'm using what I'm calling the "Factory Setlist," which includes Factory Presets, FX, DIR, 4CM, BAS, and my settings, modifications, and a bunch of my own Presets.

3. If I were save the current Setlist onto my computer, and then modify the "Daily Setlist" on the unit, what would happen when I load a different Setlist on the unit?

4. Would the current/Factory Setlist in the Unit "overwritten?"

5. Would my Daily Setlist somehow "merged" into the current Setlist?

6. If my Daily Setlist had 20 of my custom Presets in it, how many additional "blank/empty Presets" would appear in the unit when that Setlist was loaded - would it be 42 Banks minus 20 Banks = 22 "blank/empty Presets"?

7. How would I copy a Preset created in one Setlist and paste it into a different Setlist.

8. Am I correct in assuming that my custom Global Settings will remain unchanged when a new Setlist is loaded?

9. I read on the forum where someone recommended saving "individual Presets" as opposed to a Setlist. I think the reason may have been that it makes accessing individual Presets possible.

Hi,

I don’t own a Stomp, I have the Floor unit, but managing the preset/setlist situation is the essentially the same. Your Stomp comprises 126 presets, arranged into 42 Banks, with 3 Presets available in each slot in the Bank.

Therefore.

1. You can create as many setlists as you like, but you can only load one setlist at a time.
  2. O.K. That’s fine - keep that on your computer as a backup and load it as needed. If absolutely necessary you can perform a factory reset on the hardware which will restore the factory presets, should you have a disaster.
  3. If you save a setlist to your computer, that’s the backup. The actual files in that setlist remain active in your Stomp. You can now overwrite these and save this new version as “Daily”
  4. Yes, as noted above.
  5. Not merged as such. You can overwrite whatever you want and leave others as is. Again this is mentioned above.
  6. If you have 20 custom presets, ie. 20/3 = 6 Banks full and 1 Bank with 2 slots filled. The remaining preset slots/banks remain available to be overwritten or kept - whatever you want.
  7. Ah, this is better, and this is probably the best way to assemble your setlists. You have the option of saving each individual preset from HX Edit. Keep these managed in a folder on your hard drive, and then they can be loaded into whatever slot you would like, in whatever setlist happens to be loaded on you Stomp. Takes a little longer the first time you save them all out, but the advantage of being able to drag and drop any preset into any slot is great.
  8. Globals should be fine, you change those, not the setlist.
  9. Correct, as I mentioned in point 7 above. Save all the individual presets and then you can load them in any order you would like. The main thing to remember is save, save and then save again. Always work on a copy, fail safe. If you know that everything is backed up, then you could copy and paste a blank preset into all the preset/bank slots and then save that as a completely “blank page” to start things from. Mix and match and add presets to this blank start up, then save it out as your “work in progress” sketch pad” setlist. Just remember to keep saving and then reload the empty version to start again with a clean slate. Build as many and varied setlists as you like.

Suggested reading:- HX Edit Pilot’s Guide, available as a PDF from under the HELP menu in HX Edit.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks to everyone who replied with your insights and suggestions, as they were all helpful. This was my first post on the Forum, and I'm very happy with the responses I got!

I was able to get in touch with one of the Line 6 Programmers, and asked the following abbreviated version of my proposed method to use multiple Setlists:

Question: "My plan was to save a Setlist to my computer, rename it, modify the existing/loaded Setlist, and do that a few times so I could have several different Setlists too choose from and load. I know only one Setlist can be loaded at a time, but wouldn't my approach work? I'm running out of available open/empty Presets. Guess I'm having too much fun."

Reply: "Yep, that'll totally work. Just don't forget to re-export the whole setlist if you make changes to it."

So, it looks like I'll be able to have "multiple Setlists" albeit using/loading one at a time. But, that works fine for my purposes as described in my initial post. I hope other users found this topic interesting, and may find some possible use for it in taking advantage of the amazing versatility of this powerhouse of a Modeler.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Great question, i was wondering that too about the HX Stomp, it sounds like the Helix Floor has WAY more real estate

for Setlists. That's ok though, the HX Edit can librarian everything into folders by using Import /Export, just like saving tracks on a DAW.  Gawd knows i have a lot of file folders on the desktop of my old lap top.

The good news is Effects Patches are really small in comparison to saving a CD worth of File transients for music !