Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sound Quality of Helix

jheffernan14

I'm having issues with the sound quality of my Helix Floor pedal. I have it connected directly to my computer through USB but the sound is muddy/low no matter the preset I use. I was wondering if there was a certain setting I'm supposed to adjust? 

2 hours ago, jheffernan14 said:

I'm having issues with the sound quality of my Helix Floor pedal. I have it connected directly to my computer through USB but the sound is muddy/low no matter the preset I use. I was wondering if there was a certain setting I'm supposed to adjust? 

Start here and watch a few of his Helix- specific tutorials:

If you're new to modeling, you've got your work cut out for you... they're not "plug and play" devices. The learning curve tends to be steep, as they require a different approach than simply plugging into your favorite amp with the tone controls at "noon".

While there are no "rules" per se, or universal formulas for success, remember the following two things:

1) It's not a guitar amp, and it'll never behave like one no matter what you do.

2) Unless you stop thinking like a guitar player, you're finished before you start. You're creating recorded guitar tones, not live "amp in the room" tones... you have to think like a recording engineer. Mic choice/ placement and EQ are the two biggest pieces of the puzzle. And when I say EQ, I'm not talking about the amp model's bass, mids, and treble controls...I mean the specific targeting of certain frequencies/ frequency ranges, that will allow you to really sculpt your sound.

It's a process, and his videos are excellent... he's very good at explaining why he does certain things, as opposed to just saying "set 'Parameter X' at 7".

You'll eventually figure it out, but there's no one magic bullet.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, PierM said:

They are not compatible.

They should be. The Pod Go has the same things as the Helix. The Helix just has more. Anyway I don't know wtf is going on in this thread. I came to help, but I don't see enough details to help. 

OP--if you can give us more details as to how exactly you're trying to use the Helix we can help you a lot! Don't screw yourself. I started out like you. I was frustrated. Looking back on it I was being very impatient and dumb. It's easy if you give yourself a chance. 

7 hours ago, sonjc182 said:

They should be. The Pod Go has the same things as the Helix.

File format:

Helix file extension are .hlx

POD Go file extension are .pgp

That would seem to suggest an incompatible file.

I guess you could try opening one in a JSON editor - Helix files can be opened that way, but I haven’t tried the other one. I can’t see the point of doing that really - lots of messing for no obvious advantage. It might just be a “FOMO” thing.

Hope this helps/makes sense 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, silverhead said:

There is a potentially helpful tool in this context (credit to forum member dbagchee):

https://dbagchee.github.io/helix-preset-viewer/

Load the Helix preset into this viewer and manually recreate it on POD Go as closely as possible.

That's a cool little viewer for Helix patches - but the original comment about Pod Go presets was for the option to transfer in the opposite direction - POD Go to Helix.

"Why am I unable to download patches from Custom Tone for the POD GO on to my Helix Floor? I thought they would be compatible".

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, sonjc182 said:

They should be. The Pod Go has the same things as the Helix. The Helix just has more. Anyway I don't know wtf is going on in this thread. I came to help, but I don't see enough details to help. 

Pod Go is able to run a bunch of HX algos, as happen with Helix which can run legacy algos, coming from old L6 devices. This is about algorithms (math) running on different platforms, which looks like they need different patch structure, because - again - platforms are different. Not sure why we are arguing about that, I mean, it's just a fact. Then, if you ask me if L6 did that for market separation purposes, or because was necessary due the different hardware abstraction, I have no idea.

3 minutes ago, datacommando said:

That's a cool little viewer for Helix patches - but the original comment about Pod Go presets was for the option to transfer in the opposite direction - POD Go to Helix.

"Why am I unable to download patches from Custom Tone for the POD GO on to my Helix Floor? I thought they would be compatible".

Right. Thanks for clarifying.

• Upvote 1