Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects - Issue Updater Software

FrettyQuinn

EDIT (my solution and conclusion):

Found many people with this issue, a solution thread of 20 pages (full of arrogant RTFM comments), some useless YT-videos etc.

It all comes down to this: The software is just BAD. Don't use the updater. It looks like software from 1999, it is so small on a full HD screen, that i had to walk over to my TV to be able to read it, and (qoute from the solution thread): It does not like USB hubs. ROFL

There should be a sticker on the box, something like "this device needs updates but does not like computers, don't buy it if you are not a computer nerd, can't read at lightning speed all night or don't own a magnifying glass."

a) i tried three printer cables

b) i tried ALL of my eight USB ports

c) i uninstalled the updater (uninstall routine told me there were errors while uninstalling, although i only had installed it an hour ago, so that part of the software is broken, too) and installed HX edit

b) it finally worked with my shortest USB cable on the very first USB 3.0 port and only with the HX Edit software.

So it seems that either the updater program, that is integrated into the edit software, works better than the standalone version (very strange), or the edit software has something to it that lets it read out the HX Effects flash memory better (more likely, but still strange). Since all my USB ports on my new gaming-pc are working with my very demanding keyboard (which only worked on the first port of my old pc) i think that the USB-hubs on this computer are fine. I also never had an issue with updating my Digitech GSP1101 or my Kemper.

So there is only one conclusion: The Line6 USB driver is the main cause of update problems. They didn't make it better for years now. The last time i updated was in 2018 on my old i5. That took three days. If i remember right, the laptop of my wife finally did the trick.

So no, it's not your fault, and it's not a case of RTFM, and it's not a rare case either. The HX Effects does not like USB-hubs although it depends on them. The Line6 programmers seem to be stuck in the 90s (that updater-window looks like C++ from 1999, when i learned how to code), they can't do software that adapts to screen solutions and they don't care if the problem exists for years and years. So sad.

Nothing against the Line 6 support, they are great. But judging from all the issues the HX Effects had and has, they would have a much easier life if their software department would do a better job.

Original post:

I just tried to update my HX Effects. I downloaded the latest driver, the latest updater and the latest flash memory.

Drivers and Updater installed  on the computer (i7, win 10) without error. I used Avast Secure Browser for the download.

The firmware on the HX Effects is 2.71.0 at the moment.

Now i have one issue: When the HX Effects is connected to the computer and running, the updater won't start. When i start the updater first and then switch on the HX Effects (after the login), the updater shuts down.

I restarted everything several times, even reinstalled, but things stay the same. Updater and HX Effects are not running together.

Does anyone know what to do,  is that a common issue? Am i doing it wrong?