Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Direct monitoring question for Helix into Logic???

deckard1

Hi,

Have only had the Helix Rack for two days now so still learning the ropes. Just curious if it's possible to do the following...

I want to hear the effects used in Helix and also the effects I use in Logic. Right now when I try to do this I am getting the unwanted 'doubling effect' of both direct monitoring from Helix and also input monitoring from Logic. Is it possible to turn off direct monitoring from Helix and just hear the input monitoring from Logic? If so, how would I go about doing this? 

Thanks.

I think you can do this by setting your Output Block and Track Input to 3/4 or 5/6. The return signal from Logic on USB 1/2 should then go direct to the Helix Output configured in Global Settings (default 1/2).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

I think you can do this by setting your Output Block and Track Input to 3/4 or 5/6. The return signal from Logic on USB 1/2 should then go direct to the Helix Output configured in Global Settings (default 1/2).

Thanks!!! I think I understand what you are saying. Will give it a shot and report back. 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, rd2rk said:

That did it! Can't thank you enough. 

On 4/9/2021 at 10:06 PM, rd2rk said:

I read the manual a couple of times. I am still confused on the re-amping. How would I do re-amping in Logic if I am setting my Output Block and Track Input to 3/4? I do understand how to record a dry track by setting the Input of the dry track to USB 7. But, I get confused on the last step...the re-amping part...the third track I guess you could say. What would be the ins and outs for the third 're-amped' track in Logic? 

Thanks. 

59 minutes ago, deckard1 said:

But, I get confused on the last step...the re-amping part...the third track I guess you could say. What would be the ins and outs for the third 're-amped' track in Logic? 

Hi,

You need to set a channel in Logic to record from USB input 7, this is the default for guitar in the Globals. While recording your processed audio from the Helix, the dry unaffected signal is simultaneously recorded - it is not necessary to monitor this so have that channel’s output set to off or any channel not in use.

Once you have your clean unprocessed track recorded, you then simply set the output USB from that channel to, for example USB 8. Then on your Helix unit decide what preset you wish to use for a re-amped sound and set the input of that preset to receive USB 8 rather that the Guitar or Multi input. The dry signal now get sent through your hardware and back to you DAW on whatever channels you have decided to use. Have a track armed and ready to record the re-amp audio from your Helix. Sounds complex but it’s very easy, even easier if you have HX Native in the DAW, then there’s no need for the dry signal to leave the digital domain. I do lots of re-amping in Logic almost daily.

Anyhow, if a picture is worth a thousand words - here’s a couple of videos to check.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you! Will give what you suggested a try and report back. I actually watched those two videos prior to posting and one of them is using Pro Tools and the other Reaper and Cubase I believe. Same concept in Logic but I was getting confused on the part where you tell Helix Rack what to do in Global Settings. I just got the Rack 3 days ago so still learning.

I actually do have Helix Native as well. My ultimate goal was to record the dry track and then re-amp in Helix Native so I don’t have to have the Rack connected to my computer all the time. I like to mix and tinker with the sound in another room. 

Thanks. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, deckard1 said:

I just got the Rack 3 days ago so still learning.

It can be a steep curve at the beginning - something akin to being let loose on the flight deck of the Starship Enterprise, but you will soon get to grips with all the secrets. You simply need some time to become familiar with the monster. Keep at it.

Enjoy.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, datacommando said:

It can be a steep curve at the beginning - something akin to being let loose on the flight deck of the Starship Enterprise, but you will soon get to grips with all the secrets. You simply need some time to become familiar with the monster. Keep at it.

Enjoy.

Thanks! Loving the unit so far. 

• Like 1