Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using The Hd 500's Effect Loop Only

sloppyfingers

Had G.A.S and recently built up a full blown pedal board..My reasoning was that although I'm an HD 500 owner, I wanted a more simple set-up to travel with to go with my combo amp for quick weekend jams...What turned out to be a simple little set up became well you know the story..

Anyways, I love the easy tweak ability of external effects, and I'm entertaining the idea of creating a set list of just amp models.

Is it a matter of just creating an effects loop in hd edit?

Would you use the effects loop on the 500 for modulation only, and still run the overdrive/dist. etc. in front of the pod like a traditional amp? I know I'm being a little ridiculous, but my eye sight is starting to slip, and in a dark rehearsal space I'm missing those knobbies on real pedals.The pod is great, but it's missing that tweaking on the fly cabability IMO. Say what you want about deep editing.

I may make a suggestion to Line 6...how about a stripped down unit with pure amp models only?..They can focus all their dsp on crisp tones, and let people plug their own effects into them.

You can do that and it should work fine, plus you can move the FX loop anywhere within the chain. I've found that just going into the front sounds good too anthough it limits your options. I've been  going into a DT50 Head and DT25 Cab with the L6 Link just using the distortion and other effects without an amp and it sounds great. Of course if your trying to emmulate someone else's sound you need to set it up appropriately.

Here's what someone did to help the tired eyes out. I thought it was pretty darn smart.>>> Trick for my old eyes

I can relate, for sure. There is a certain joy of well crafted analog stomp boxes that digital modelling will never truly replace. I personally love Keeley, and if I ever decide to work up a collection of stomp boxes, would probably want one of everything Robert makes!

The Time Machine is an amazing pedal, the 2 and 4 knob compressors are fantastic.

In terms of interfacing with the POD gear, I used to try to do more of that, haven't as much recently. I used to do alot of 4CM with my previous X3L, using various stomps in front of the X3, in the FX loop, and in the amp's FX loop.

I guess once I went 'all-in' with the JTV, HD500 and the DT25, I've gotten more particular about limiting the number of analog to digital / digital to analog conversions going on in my signal path.

I like your idea, you may be on to something - in terms of standalone amp modelling vs standalone FX.

The thought crossed my mind, where I envisioned an L6Link type system, that would allow the HD 'amp' processor to 'talk' with an M13 style dedicated FX unit, similar to how the DT + HD link.

In this case, the interface would allow the DSP of each unit to focus on rendering it's portion to the maximum quality, while still allowing FX block positioning and pre / post settings on the FX, beyond just the linear sequence involved in placing stomps either before the amp block or in the FX Loop.

What kind of pedal board did you end up with? The guy I jam with has the whole collection of stomp boxes going, and he has spent alot of time trying different settings, positions, and variations of stomps before the amp, in the FX loop, and such. What he needs is one of those pedal boards with power conditioning, velcro, and a nice case for it all.

Hey thanks for the input both of you...I'm off work for another few weeks, so it's experimentation time..I'll try straight in, as well as a created effects loop.

In all reality, I'll only be running a few at a time anyways, so straight in may be the answer. Love that vision trick Brazzy!...This what's frustrating me a little bit.

Having to strain my eyes down, and deep edit if I want to tweak...Nothing like having physical knobs..More tangible.

Here's what I ended up purchasing Colonel

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/10812/Guitars/Accessories/Pedal_Train/Junior_Pedal_Board_with_Soft_Case.htm

They really soak you for it though..At least up here...It includes all the Velcro tape to attach to rails, with lots left-over for the pedals themselves.

As far as power supply, I just went with the boss pcm adapter and daisy chain...Now the daisy chain isn't long enough to fit all my pedals, so I may have to run 2 separate chains..Thankfully the Boss NS-2 which I bought has the option of feeding other pedals.

Thank you Kiijji

I'm too lazy to register and submit the idea, but maybe someone from Line 6 will read this..I really think that a more stripped down smaller unit with just amp and cabinet models may sell..It's so easy to scroll up and down to select  just amps, and yes keep the effects loop in..All the Dsp can be dedicated to just amps..Not so much more amps, but improvements if possible...Keep the knobs on top..Volume, presence, master etc. and those "Fs" keys could be downsized to one row.

There are a lot of people out there that hang onto their fave or boutique pedals that wouldn't mind plugging it in and keeping it simple..