Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native 3.1 - Big Sur compatible?

loonsailor

The release notes for Helix Native 3.1 list MacOS up through Catalina, but not Big Sur.  They do say that HX Edit is Big Sur compatible, which is odd because HX Edit is not part of HX Native.  I assume that this was just a cut and paste, but could somebody from Line6 confirm that Native is now Big Sur compatible?  I have an Intel MacPro, not an M1, though I expect that I'll want to move to an M1 within the next 6-9 months.

On 4/16/2021 at 5:09 AM, loonsailor said:

The release notes for Helix Native 3.1 list MacOS up through Catalina, but not Big Sur.  They do say that HX Edit is Big Sur compatible, which is odd because HX Edit is not part of HX Native.  

Ahem! 

From the release notes:

• HX Edit and Helix Native now add support for macOS 11 Big Sur

Hope this helps/makes sense.

4 hours ago, njc235 said:

I take back my original post.  It still runs poorly on the M1 architecture.

That's not surprising for something that is likely so timing/computation sensitive. From what I have read, the M1 is an ARM based CPU and every non-ARM based app is transpiled for it. Transpiled basically means taking intel based machine code and translating it into the equivalent ARM code. It can happen in real time or "Ahead of Time" once when installed. The wiki page says "Although Rosetta 2 works for most software, some software doesn't work at all or is reported to be "sluggish"." Who knows if Line6 will ever take the time to compile an ARM edition. Maybe down the road when they have no choice.

16 hours ago, usedbyanr said:

Who knows if Line6 will ever take the time to compile an ARM edition. Maybe down the road when they have no choice.

All Macs will be ARM soon so they will either have to or lose their entire Mac user base.