Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FW 3.1 still doesn't fix Varaix issues

brue58ski

One of the reasons I was so looking forward to this update is the fact that they acknowledged last time there were Variax issues and I had received a message in a support ticket that it was being addressed

" I've since passed this along to QA as a likely bug/issue that will need to be updated on a future firmware release. I've tested on 2.82-2.92, same behavior but it seemed to occur intermittently on 2.92. I don't have updates at the moment, but I'll message you as soon as I have more info. "

I never did get another message. It still has the same issue. The thing is Variax compatibility is a big reason why I'm on the Variax/Line6 train. The Helix has been around for 6 years and has been touting Variax compatiblity for most of those years. The product doesn't work as advertised. Will this ever be fixed? Has it been given up on? ignored? Are they waiting for the next Variax variation? What's going on? I am stuck with a product that doesn't work as advertised. It does mostly work but that's not good enough anymore. It's been at least 4 years and it does not do what the manual says.   Specifically if you set your Variax tone knob to anything other than Don't Force, when you switch to another patch, it keeps the previous patches tone knob setting. You have to press the patch''s footswitch again to get that patches tone knob setting. this occurs with the other knobs as well. Also putting it on Don't force does not, from the manual...

"When set to “Don’t Force,” Helix respects the current Variax knob position."

C'mon Line 6, either correct your manual or fix the issue. Sorry for my rant. I love Line 6. I've been with Line 6 since the XT. But if this doesn't ever get addressed, I will seriously reconsider that.

I'm not saying you don't have a legitimate gripe... but you know as well as I do that posting about it in here isn't gonna rattle anybody's cage, because they're never gonna see it.

Open a new ticket every day until somebody responds to you... eventually that will get noticed, and sooner or later you'll get a response, if for no other reason than wanting to get rid of you.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease...

I use OnSong on the iPad to control my Helix / Variax rig live. So while my set list on the Helix never changes, my set lists on my iPad in OnSong changes with every gig. I noticed the odd occasion when going from one song to another that my tone is muffled or wonky in some way, which could be cleared up by stepping on a button and reloading the snapshot. Now I believe I know what the cause is.

Great stuff in 3.1, thanks Line 6! Still waiting around for snapshot selectable inputs and outputs, individual selectable multiple outputs other than just the whole lot of "multi", and USB send / return blocks (finger crossed)...

This thing will be the ultimate live rig for me with those few additions!

On 4/16/2021 at 10:25 AM, cruisinon2 said:

I'm not saying you don't have a legitimate gripe... but you know as well as I do that posting about it in here isn't gonna rattle anybody's cage, because they're never gonna see it.

Open a new ticket every day until somebody responds to you... eventually that will get noticed, and sooner or later you'll get a response, if for no other reason than wanting to get rid of you.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease...

Oh I had done that.That makes it the fourth time I've opened a new ticket for this problem. We'll see what happens. I think i just wanted to rant a little.

It is annoying - a big problem if you use acoustic patches with tone knob rolled down (mic position changed) and then go to an electric and everything is muffled.

It can be worked around, but in a rather inconvenient manner: if you have a single instance of "Force" then you have to set Force on every patch and every snapshot within those patches.

The other option, if you have a hand free at the time, is to turn the tone knob... it only holds the setting in absence of an instruction to change it.

Let's hold out hope for 3.2...

4 hours ago, Rewolf48 said:

It is annoying - a big problem if you use acoustic patches with tone knob rolled down (mic position changed) and then go to an electric and everything is muffled.

It can be worked around, but in a rather inconvenient manner: if you have a single instance of "Force" then you have to set Force on every patch and every snapshot within those patches.

The other option, if you have a hand free at the time, is to turn the tone knob... it only holds the setting in absence of an instruction to change it.

Let's hold out hope for 3.2...

It is for the acoustic patches that I really want it. I also want to use it for the "jazz" guitars. Can't right now. Sigh. And yes, my workaround is to have all of the knobs on force and have the Variax model controlled in every patch. There used to be a problem with the tuning parameter as well so I, out of habit, just leave every patch on custom tuning with the "custom" being just regular tuning.

4 hours ago, Rewolf48 said:

Agree with your concern but using "Force" as you state is how I would address it. I want all my Variax parameters to be set from the preset/snapshot if I am using the Helix.