tafkam

Helix directly in MAC or through extra Audio Interface?

Hi Helix community, 

what do you think it´s better for recording (amateur home recording). 

Use the internal Helix audio Interface directly to connect with my MAC via USB for recording? Or go with the signal through an Focusrite and then into the Mac?

Best from Berlin!

Michael

From my experimenting (Helix Stomp USB out, or audio out through an Apollo Twin), I think the recording quality was equal. But you also have to look at your workflow, and convenience.

For me, I also record with microphones (through the Apollo). And I use two sets of monitors coming out of the Apollo. I'm on a Mac running Logic Pro. At first I tried using an "Aggregate Device" but found it to be unreliable on my system. So now I run my Helix Stomp through the Apollo, and everything is working perfectly for my needs.

I think if I was doing guitar only, I might use the USB for recording due to the reamping capability. But I also have Helix Native, so I now only use the Stomp's USB for MIDI control.

PS.Berlin is a great city. I visited there about 5 years after the wall came down and loved visiting both the east and west sides and seeing the contrast at that time. Also spent a lot of time at Brandenburg Gate buying odd trinkets and souvenirs. I still have a bunch of cheap Soviet watches that are still working.

3 hours ago, tafkam said:

Hi Helix community, 

what do you think it´s better for recording (amateur home recording). 

Use the internal Helix audio Interface directly to connect with my MAC via USB for recording? Or go with the signal through an Focusrite and then into the Mac?

Best from Berlin!

Michael

Hi, Michael,

I use my Helix floor unit hooked up to my Mac via USB to record directly into Logic Pro X. I also have my powered studio monitors connected from the XLR our on the back of the Helix. This allow me to monitor the audio without any latency and record the processed audio signal in stereo from USB 1&2 along with the dry guitar signal from USB 7. The dry audio can be used to re-amp back through the Helix hardware, or through the Helix Native plugin within Logic.

I used to have a Focusrite Saffire, but stopped using it when I got the Helix and a new iMac Retina 5k and could no longer efficiently use the FireWire connections on the Focusrite. Not using a second interface means one less stage of analog/digital conversion. It’s a personal thing, if you already have the Focusrite, you could try it and see if it is a better workflow system for you. Many Helix users have another audio interface for recording - the UA Apollo Twin seem to be a big favourite with all the extra plugin features and Thunderbolt, but is quite expensive.

Essentially - it’s personal preference.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

So ..... there is a lot of flexibility! I suggest trying different things and seeing what works best for you. The main difference I saw was in recording levels: through USB the audio recording seemed too low (even though they are not), and with the Apollo I had more control of the recording level (which was only a problem when I was going in Helix; I had to dial the input down accordingly.)

@datacommando - I was also concerned about the extra D/A and A/D (it seems like you would logically have some deterioration), but I could hear no difference, and also read some interesting info online that indicated you'd have to go back and forth with the signal many times before you could hear any audio changes.