Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

3rd party expression pedal issues

MikeDV1

I've got a couple of different expression pedals, Rocktron Hex and a Mission SP1-R.  I can't get them to work reliably with my Helix rack, plugged into the foot controller or into the back of the unit.  I've tried different cables (both mono and stereo type) with crappy results.  About two-thirds of the way down, the pedal gets to 100% then reverses and goes to about 60% as I push it all the way down.  On my 1,000 year old Lexicon MPX1 G2, both work perfectly - you can calibrate the pedal on that device.  The mission also has a foot switch, and that doesn't work on the Helix unless I pull the jack about a third of the way out, and then it will change values - if I press it twice for each change.  This also works correctly on the Lexicon.

I think I've ruled out the pedals - they work as expected on the Lexicon - and the cables - I've switched and replaced them back and forth a bunch of times.

What's the deal?  Does my Helix have a problem or...?  I've been hoping with each update there would be a calibration choice, but not to be.  I've reversed polarity, tried all the jacks on the foot controller and on the back with no good outcome.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Helix folks - anyone?  I've got a friend with a Behringer FCB1010 I'm going to try to use, but that's pretty much through the MIDI route, and I expect (?) that will work well - but my hopes have been dashed so far with my other pedals.  Seems a real downgrade if I have to use the Behringer vs. the dedicated Helix controller - no feedback, no scribble strips.

47 minutes ago, MikeDV1 said:

I've got a couple of different expression pedals, Rocktron Hex and a Mission SP1-R.  I can't get them to work reliably with my Helix rack, plugged into the foot controller or into the back of the unit.  I've tried different cables (both mono and stereo type) with crappy results.  About two-thirds of the way down, the pedal gets to 100% then reverses and goes to about 60% as I push it all the way down.  On my 1,000 year old Lexicon MPX1 G2, both work perfectly - you can calibrate the pedal on that device.  The mission also has a foot switch, and that doesn't work on the Helix unless I pull the jack about a third of the way out, and then it will change values - if I press it twice for each change.  This also works correctly on the Lexicon.

I think I've ruled out the pedals - they work as expected on the Lexicon - and the cables - I've switched and replaced them back and forth a bunch of times.

What's the deal?  Does my Helix have a problem or...?  I've been hoping with each update there would be a calibration choice, but not to be.  I've reversed polarity, tried all the jacks on the foot controller and on the back with no good outcome.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Helix folks - anyone?  I've got a friend with a Behringer FCB1010 I'm going to try to use, but that's pretty much through the MIDI route, and I expect (?) that will work well - but my hopes have been dashed so far with my other pedals.  Seems a real downgrade if I have to use the Behringer vs. the dedicated Helix controller - no feedback, no scribble strips.

It sounds like you have already experimented with TS vs. TRS cables, various global settings, etc.. but you may want to continue with your efforts to get either your existing expression pedals working with the Rack or consider getting some that others have gotten working with the Helix/Rack, such as those documented in the topic below. There are several other similar topics as well.  I agree, using the FCB1010 instead of the Helix controller would be a huge step backwards and unnecessary. I would replace my expression pedals with ones known to function properly with the Rack before considering that option.  Might be worth contacting Line6 for assistance as well.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, MikeDV1 said:

Will keep at it!

Hi,

I can be a bit of a cheapskate and use a couple of M-Audio EXP pedals with my Helix floor, but IIRC, the Helix Rack utilises a Mission Pedal that is specifically designed to be used with it.

https://missionengineering.com/shop-2/products/expression/specific-use-exp/sp1-l6h/

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1