Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pedal Polarity incorrect/bugged?

Bahnzo

I've a new unit I just purchased a week or so ago, so maybe I'm missing something here....

In the global settings there's a setting which allows you to reverse the pedals. IE: normally the pedal full forward is 100% open and back is 0% closed. 

I've been trying to set the volume pedal (EXP2) to control the volume of the compressor in my chain. I remove the assignment from the pedal and bypass it so it doesn't control volume at all. And now assign it to the compressor as normal and set the min/max on the compressor volume with the sliders. It works and changes the volume as it should, except I'd like the pedal itself to be reversed so it's full on when back and off when forward. 

Setting this in Global Settings, EXP2 polarity, has no effect whatsoever. However....if I set EXP1 to reverse polarity, then it works. Except this isn't EXP1, and then the Wah Pedal is reversed too. 

So it seems this is a bug? Or am I missing something here somehow? I should also add that I am fully upgrade with the newest firmware. 

In this instance, EXP2 refers only to the external pedal. The EXP1 setting controls the on-board pedal regardless of whether it’s set to act as EXP1 or EXP2. That’s why the EXP2 setting isn’t doing anything in your case.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phil_m said:

In this instance, EXP2 refers only to the external pedal. The EXP1 setting controls the on-board pedal regardless of whether it’s set to act as EXP1 or EXP2. That’s why the EXP2 setting isn’t doing anything in your case.

Hmmm, ok. But then the manual says that EXP1 is assigned to the Wah block and EXP2 to the Volume block, and you use the "hidden toe switch" to toggle between them. So then why would EXP2 change? Is it because I'm assigning it to control an effect's setting? 

1 hour ago, voxman55 said:

Just reverse the min and max settings on the compressor and resave the patch. 

You know, I didn't know I could do that. I'm not sure how it's done, but I'll look into it. Using the PC editor, can you just drag the min or max over the other one?

At any point I think I'm going to rethink how I'm doing a volume boost, and just place the volume pedal at the very end of the chain instead of just boosting the last effect in the line. 

11 minutes ago, Bahnzo said:

Hmmm, ok. But then the manual says that EXP1 is assigned to the Wah block and EXP2 to the Volume block, and you use the "hidden toe switch" to toggle between them. So then why would EXP2 change? Is it because I'm assigning it to control an effect's setting? 

This is probably going to sound confusing, but you have to separate the controllers, EXP1 and EXP2, from the actual physical pedals, EXP1 and EXP2. The actual physical on-board pedal is EXP1, regardless of the fact if you have it set to act as EXP2 by toggling its function with the toe switch. So that setting only changes the polarity of the physical pedal. If you had an external pedal connected to the EXP/FS jack, it would be EXP2, so the respective polarity setting for it would affect that pedal.

In any case,  most of the time it's not necessary to mess with the pedal polarity settings. It comes into play when trying to get certain external pedals to work correctly.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, phil_m said:

This is probably going to sound confusing, but you have to separate the controllers, EXP1 and EXP2, from the actual physical pedals, EXP1 and EXP2. The actual physical on-board pedal is EXP1, regardless of the fact if you have it set to act as EXP2 by toggling its function with the toe switch. So that setting only changes the polarity of the physical pedal. If you had an external pedal connected to the EXP/FS jack, it would be EXP2, so the respective polarity setting for it would affect that pedal.

In any case,  most of the time it's not necessary to mess with the pedal polarity settings. It comes into play when trying to get certain external pedals to work correctly.

You are right, that is confusing. :)

But thanks for the explanation. I guess the manual could be more clear here in making that distinction, as it seemed to me perfectly logical to want to be able to set the polarity one way when it's being used as volume, and another for wah. 

3 hours ago, Bahnzo said:

You know, I didn't know I could do that. I'm not sure how it's done, but I'll look into it. Using the PC editor, can you just drag the min or max over the other one?

At any point I think I'm going to rethink how I'm doing a volume boost, and just place the volume pedal at the very end of the chain instead of just boosting the last effect in the line. 

I just set up a test patch with the compressor set to lower level toe down and increasing to selected maximum level heel down - as I mentioned, simply reverse the compressor level settings (or whatever parameter you were using).  On my test patch I used Deluxe Comp, assigned EXP2 to 'level', removed all other assignments, (inc toe - so it just says 'none') set the top tab in PG Edit to -10dB and the bottom tab to +25dB, and when I select the patch with the EXP toe down, it starts at the lower dB level, and when I toe back it moves up to the maximum that I set. 

For clean boosts eg a 3dB lead boost, as I don't use the FX loop (typically FS2 in the factory patches) I merely assign FS2 to the output volume 'level' and with pedal off it's at 0dB, and pedal on its +3dB. Because it's output level it doesn't change my tone, just makes it louder. And because it's not linked to a pedal, the level boost can be used regardless of what FX I have switched on whereas in the above example, if I turn the compressor off then the EXP2 does nothing.  

40 minutes ago, voxman55 said:

For clean boosts eg a 3dB lead boost, as I don't use the FX loop (typically FS2 in the factory patches) I merely assign FS2 to the output volume 'level' and with pedal off it's at 0dB, and pedal on its +3dB. Because it's output level it doesn't change my tone, just makes it louder. And because it's not linked to a pedal, the level boost can be used regardless of what FX I have switched on whereas in the above example, if I turn the compressor off then the EXP2 does nothing.  

Thanks, I'll give a try to using a simple switch like you mention and see how I like that option. 

7 minutes ago, Bahnzo said:

Thanks, I'll give a try to using a simple switch like you mention and see how I like that option. 

Don't forget to unassign the FX loop on the switch, so it's just 'Level' - which is what the switch will display in stomp mode. 

• Like 1