Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Impact on Variax patches after Helix updates

I'm interested to know if anyone else using a JTV Variax guitar into Helix experiences issues with the Helix 'forgetting' patch information when Helix updates. This has happened to me every time I've done a Helix update, and even again on the 3.10 update this week. I normally use the Variax mags as my preferred pickups, but on occasion for as our setlist requires it, I set up for a drop D or open G tuning or move standard tuning steps up and/or down. The have to be done with Variax guitar models. These patches will also sit alongside patches where I am not using tunings or Variax guitar models. I find I have to go back in to each of these patches and persuade them to remember the Variax aspect of the patch. It particularly seems to affect patches where I have altered tunings. So, I'm interested to see if this is just me, and I'm missing some little trick in my set up, or if others experience the same, and if they do, why can this not be solved as part of the software/firmware update?  

This behaviour is controlled by a setting contained in the Input block of every preset. A firmware update restores this Variax setting to its default value of Global. You need to reset it to Preset. If you restore your system backup after a firmware update this is reset as part of that process. If you did not restore your Global Settings from your backup file then you need to do this manually (but only in one preset - it's a global setting so affects all presets).

Hi. I agree a firmware update restores it to a different setting, but I can remember what I did this time seeing as it was last night, and i did the update followed by the factory reset, followed by installing most recent backup. Interestingly, after believing it was all fine last night and shutting down, it did another preset rebuild on boot up this morning, which I thought was weird. Anyway, those steps did not reinstate my preset by preset use of Variax models and tunings.......had to revisit them one at a time, check the alt tuning had been activated and the nob on the guitar was lit, and then save them individually again. I mean, I'm not complaining as such, but it is a pain in the lollipop to have to do, and I wonder why it's not a more robust part of the update given they are family products. I guess I hope someone from line 6 looks at this checks on it as part of the update for future reference.

19 hours ago, Vulture1 said:

Hi. I agree a firmware update restores it to a different setting, but I can remember what I did this time seeing as it was last night, and i did the update followed by the factory reset, followed by installing most recent backup. Interestingly, after believing it was all fine last night and shutting down, it did another preset rebuild on boot up this morning, which I thought was weird. Anyway, those steps did not reinstate my preset by preset use of Variax models and tunings.......had to revisit them one at a time, check the alt tuning had been activated and the nob on the guitar was lit, and then save them individually again. I mean, I'm not complaining as such, but it is a pain in the lollipop to have to do, and I wonder why it's not a more robust part of the update given they are family products. I guess I hope someone from line 6 looks at this checks on it as part of the update for future reference.

That’s not normal. You shouldn’t have to check and save each preset. I would open a support ticket.

The rebuild on startup is normal after adding older presets to the device, which is what happened when you restored your backup. If a further rebuild occurred it would indicate that you may have a corrupt setlist or presets.

You would need Workbench HD. But first, save any patches you can from the guitar and the Helix, then

connect the guitar to Monkey, make certain the Flash versio is v2.00 or higher.

-Flash version 2.00 or higher to be compatible with Workbench HD and Helix.

Hi, i have Workbench already, and I believe I'm on the latest version (2.15?) but don't really use it as part of a Helix update. Is there something you think I haven't done previously in Workbench, or something I'm missing in Workbench when I update Helix?

So I went to look at this to answer your question, and the installer told me an update was available/required. I went to download that, but it tells me that it cannot be installed because it needs updating by the developer. I am on Big Sur.........is that a problem for this in your experience? (FYI, my previous and recent Helix updates all happened successfully on Big Sur, except for the Variax settings per preset being remembered and regenerated on the preset rebuild).

Maybe. Can you  connect the guitar to Monkey and see what Flash version it has?

You may have to use the interface device accessory instead of the Helix, to connect for this.

Since no service record shows up on my screen, I don't know if that guitar has had its Flash updated.