Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 3.1 and Powercab + issue

ajb1965

Hi Folks,

I updated my LT to 3.10 this morning and now it seems L6 Link is no longer working to change speaker models.  I checked for a PC+ update and I didn't one.  I used L6 updater to perform the upgrade and that went swimmingly.  Just curious if anyone else has run across this or if I did something wrong.

Thank you!!

No I just did a straight inline upgrade.  My patches all have the correct PC+ speakers still in the presets but even manually within a patch I can't get it to change speaker.  I'll try a reset.  I have a backup from before.  Thanks for the suggestion.

1 hour ago, ajb1965 said:

No I just did a straight inline upgrade. 

From the Helix 3.10 release notes.

Big text and of it some in red = probably quite important!

Anything else I should know?

Yes. We STRONGLY recommend performing a factory reset AFTER UPDATING to 3.10 and THEN RESTORING YOUR BACKUP. (Backing up is part of the update process). Here's how to perform a factory reset. IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP FIRST, AS A FACTORY RESET WILL ERASE ALL YOUR WORK!

• Helix Floor/LT: While holding footswitches 9 & 10 (bottom row, 2 middle switches), turn on Helix Floor/LT
  • Helix Rack: While holding knobs 5 & 6 (2 furthest right knobs below the screen), turn on Helix Rack
  • HX Effects: While holding footswitches 6 & TAP (2 farthest right switches on the bottom row), turn on HX Effects
  • HX Stomp: While holding footswitches 2 & 3, turn on HX Stomp
  • HX Stomp XL: While holding footswitches C & D, turn on HX Stomp

If that was not bad enough the notes on the HX Edit 3.10 download page  actually states this:

Yes. If you run into any odd behavior, before running to the internet to complain, perform a factory reset and restore your backup. (Backing up is part of the update process). This should solve any issues. Here's how to perform a factory reset. IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP FIRST, AS THIS WILL ERASE ALL YOUR WORK!

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1

I performed a full reset and before I even bothered to restore I built a new patch and PC+ does not respond over L6 Link.  Turned PC+ off and on, checked cabling yada yada.  I guess the next step is to open a ticket with L6.

Thanks all

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ajb1965 said:

I performed a full reset and before I even bothered to restore I built a new patch and PC+ does not respond over L6 Link.  Turned PC+ off and on, checked cabling yada yada.  I guess the next step is to open a ticket with L6.

Thanks all

Although you stated you already did it, it is worth rechecking your cabling as well as swapping it out.  Make sure they are firmly seated and plugged into the L6 Link jacks on both the PC+ and the Helix. It is easy to plug into one of the other XLR jacks on either side by accident. 

Although off the top of my head I can't think of a global setting that would impact your L6 Link to PC+ connection you should do the restore, as it will restore your old global settings and is a very explicitly recommended part of the firmware update to 3.10.  It is certainly a step I would execute before contacting L6.

Btw, when you go to 'Help' --> 'About HX Edit' in the editor menu is it showing both HX Edit and the firmware at 3.10? 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, ajb1965 said:

and before I even bothered to restore

Hi,

But did you actually perform a restore - it is noted as a recommended procedure. 

Building a new patch, without completing the update routine may simply highlight a communication issue with your PC+.

I don’t have a PowerCab to troubleshoot this for you, but “HonestOpinion” is familiar with them, therefore I would check out the thing that he’s suggested in the post above.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ajb1965 said:

Thanks all

It just occurred to me what setting might be impacting your operation with the PC+.  On your LT's preset, select your Output block. Page right to the second page of parameters and change the setting on the parameter 'Powercab Remote' = "Per Preset".  Now if you go to the output block on any of your other presets you will notice they will all have their Output block's parameter 'Powercab Remote' = "Per Preset". 

The Output block's 'Powercab Remote' settings is similar in behavior to the Input block's Variax parameter 'Variax Settings'. Even though both of these settings are located within a preset, once they are changed their new value is automatically reflected in every other preset. They are essentially global settings hidden within a preset!!!

From the 2.8 firmware release notes but still applies to 3.10:

"Powercab Plus Remote

Helix Floor, Helix Rack/Control, Helix LT

IMPORTANT! You must also update Powercab Plus! It must be running firmware 2.0 or higher.

Helix can now remotely adjust parameters in one or two L6 LINK-connected Powercab Plus modeling speaker cabs. When one Powercab Plus is connected via L6 LINK (110-ohm AES/EBU cable), it receives a mono signal from Helix; when two Powercab Plus amps are daisy-chained via L6 LINK, the first cab in the chain receives the left signal and the second cab receives the right signal.

TIP: Just like with any amp, cab, or effect parameter, Powercab Plus parameters can be quickly assigned to footswitches or Snapshots.

1. Select the Output > Multi or Output > Digital block and press PAGE > once.
  2. Turn Knob 1 (Powercab Remote) to select “Per Preset” or “Global.” If you don’t plan on changing Powercab parameters along with Helix presets, choose “Global.”
  3. Turn Knob 2 (Powercab Mode) to select the desired type of Powercab mode: Flat, Speaker, or IR. Note that certain parameters will gray out depending on the mode chosen.
  4. Turn Knob 4 (Speaker Select) to specify which Powercab you want to control Powercab 1, Powercab 2, or both Powercabs simultaneously (“1+2 Link”). Normally, you should leave this set to “1+2 Link,” which edits both Powercabs simultaneously, to maintain phase coherence.
  • Flat Voicing when Powercab Mode is set to “Flat,” determines the type of speaker voicing
  • Speaker Type when Powercab Mode is set to “Speaker,” determines the current speaker model
  • Speaker DI Mic when Powercab Mode is set to “Speaker,” determines the mic model used on Powercab’s XLR output(s)
  • Speaker Mic Dist when Powercab Mode is set to “Speaker,” determines the mic distance used on Powercab’s XLR output(s)
  • Speaker User IR when Powercab Mode is set to “User IR,” selects the impulse response used
  • Speaker Low Cut applies a Low Cut filter to Powercab Plus for minimizing low end rumble
  • Speaker Hi Cut applies a High Cut filter to Powercab Plus for minimizing high end harshness
  • Speaker Level applies a level trim
  • Speaker Color lets you choose the LED ring color on any connected Powercab(s)

NOTE: For more information on Powercab Plus, see the Powercab Plus Pilot’s Guide."

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HonestOpinion said:

It just occurred to me what setting might be impacting your operation with the PC+.  On your LT's preset, select your Output block. Page right to the second page of parameters and change the setting on the parameter 'Powercab Remote' = "Per Preset".  Now if you go to the output block on any of your other presets you will notice they will all have their Output block's parameter 'Powercab Remote' = "Per Preset". 

The Output block's 'Powercab Remote' settings is similar in behavior to the Input block's Variax parameter 'Variax Settings'. Even though both of these settings are located within a preset, once they are changed their new value is automatically reflected in every other preset. They are essentially global settings hidden within a preset!!!

From the 2.8 firmware release notes but still applies to 3.10:

"Powercab Plus Remote

Helix Floor, Helix Rack/Control, Helix LT

IMPORTANT! You must also update Powercab Plus! It must be running firmware 2.0 or higher.

Helix can now remotely adjust parameters in one or two L6 LINK-connected Powercab Plus modeling speaker cabs. When one Powercab Plus is connected via L6 LINK (110-ohm AES/EBU cable), it receives a mono signal from Helix; when two Powercab Plus amps are daisy-chained via L6 LINK, the first cab in the chain receives the left signal and the second cab receives the right signal.

TIP: Just like with any amp, cab, or effect parameter, Powercab Plus parameters can be quickly assigned to footswitches or Snapshots.

1. Select the Output > Multi or Output > Digital block and press PAGE > once.
  2. Turn Knob 1 (Powercab Remote) to select “Per Preset” or “Global.” If you don’t plan on changing Powercab parameters along with Helix presets, choose “Global.”
  3. Turn Knob 2 (Powercab Mode) to select the desired type of Powercab mode: Flat, Speaker, or IR. Note that certain parameters will gray out depending on the mode chosen.
  4. Turn Knob 4 (Speaker Select) to specify which Powercab you want to control Powercab 1, Powercab 2, or both Powercabs simultaneously (“1+2 Link”). Normally, you should leave this set to “1+2 Link,” which edits both Powercabs simultaneously, to maintain phase coherence.
  • Flat Voicing when Powercab Mode is set to “Flat,” determines the type of speaker voicing
  • Speaker Type when Powercab Mode is set to “Speaker,” determines the current speaker model
  • Speaker DI Mic when Powercab Mode is set to “Speaker,” determines the mic model used on Powercab’s XLR output(s)
  • Speaker Mic Dist when Powercab Mode is set to “Speaker,” determines the mic distance used on Powercab’s XLR output(s)
  • Speaker User IR when Powercab Mode is set to “User IR,” selects the impulse response used
  • Speaker Low Cut applies a Low Cut filter to Powercab Plus for minimizing low end rumble
  • Speaker Hi Cut applies a High Cut filter to Powercab Plus for minimizing high end harshness
  • Speaker Level applies a level trim
  • Speaker Color lets you choose the LED ring color on any connected Powercab(s)

NOTE: For more information on Powercab Plus, see the Powercab Plus Pilot’s Guide."

Great catch!!  I did the restore and it still didn't work and I was getting frustrated.  For whatever reason the Powercab was no longer set to Preset.  THANK YOU!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Wow, that was a masterpeace in troubleshooting. No wondering we feel safe to own Line6 gear with this knowledge, ability to cooperate and solve the most stranges  behaviors in our gear in this forum. Hats off for this performance, so impressive... 

//Per

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
On 4/14/2022 at 11:54 PM, dwells192 said:

I have done everything listed in the previous but still can't get my helix to work with the powercab. The audio works but it won't change speakers, etc. Any ideas?

Are we talking about the Powercab or Powercab+ here? I assume this is in reference to the PC+, and if so, make sure you are running the 2.00.1 firmware on the PC+ as this was when L6 Link support was added.

If you have the PC+ the next thing I would check would be my connection between the L6Link output on the Helix and the L6 Link input on the Powercab+. Try a different cable if necessary, a standard XLR cable, rather than an AES/EBU cable, will work in a pinch for a test.

Assuming from your post you already set  'Powercab Remote' = "Per Preset", and are also saving your PC+ speaker changes between presets on the Helix. Also, although it may not be the issue you are encountering, just a reminder, although the LED ring color around the selector knob on the Powercab+ may change when you dial up a preset from the Helix with a different speaker type, the preset name on the PCPlus display will stay the same. The preset name on the PC+ is essentially just a placeholder when you use the PC+ in tandem with the Helix and the L6 Link connection. All the changes are being directed from within the preset in the Helix. 

Is the LED ring changing color when you select different PC+ speaker types from the Helix? Can you hear anything change?

• Upvote 1